Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkhan456

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
AT&T is a horrible, horrible company run by people who just don't get it. "Unlimited" LTE is throttled after 5GB per month!?!?! Does everyone here realize that commonly achievable, real-world LTE speeds would allow the iPhone 5 to download 5GB of data in under 16 minutes? So using the data interface of my new phone unfettered for 0.0363% of a billing period is considered "unlimited"?

AT&T needs to figure out what effing business they're actually in. All they are is a wide area wireless connection to the Internet. They should figure out how to provide that service properly for as many people as they can, and charge something sensible that still allows them to make a healthy profit.

Their 3G networks have been overburdened for years, largely due to the explosion in data usage brought on by the iPhone. The writing has been on the wall for a long time now that this trend of increasing mobile data usage is only going to continue. So they build out a brand new LTE network at massive expense, which is still underutilized in most markets, and they want to start throttling people the minute they move onto it? They should be encouraging early adoption to get people off the struggling 3G network (oh, but I guess that's 4G now too, since they rebranded it.) Caps like this on LTE are absolutely asinine, especially before the network is even close to being over-utilized.

Hey, I've got an idea, I'll start a business that sells something people use every day. Then I'll sell them enough to last them about 16 minutes, but make them wait a whole month before they can buy more. What a brilliant business plan! Oh, and while I'm at it, I'll tell my customers how they can and can't use the product they've paid for.

FU AT&T! Just sell us an unlimited data plan that's actually unlimited. Let us use it however we want. Figure out what it would cost to provide the service and charge us for it. Those who want it will pay for it. Trying to force everyone into a situation where they have the potential to pay massive overages is just scummy.

That was me until my sister moved to New Zealand. Now I think it's fantastic and use it all the time.

Who cares how fast you can download 5GB. The question is how much do you download in a month. I feel like I'm a fairly heavy user, and I hardly hit 2GB ever.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Looking forward to getting LTE in my area - hopefully soon. Nice to keep the Unlimited data too, and going back to the 5GB limit before throttling is great. Makes our $30 Unlimited (5GB) plan better than the $30 3GB plan...

Surprised AT&T allows this, but I'll take it...

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Yeah, data consuming smart phones are here to stay. But it's probably not wise to offer a truly unlimited plan. Especially when you just know when they are eventually over capacity and need to start limiting usage again they are going to look like bigger *******s for taking the unlimited plan away.

I mean, as an iPad user a lot of people were attracted to the device because they'd get unlimited data per month and without a contract, start and stop as you please! Then only a few months later they were told "subscribe to your unlimited data plan indefinitely or lose it forever!" which was pretty ******...

Yeah, but capacity isn't why they're doing AT ALL. It's merely a convenient excuse. If you looked at a graphic that showed areas where the network was at or nearing capacity over the course of time, those areas are very small, and most of the time there is no problem with over-usage whatsoever. The problems tend to occur in densely populated areas, so they do affect a fair number of subscribers, but why on earth would you throttle users connected to the other 98% of towers that don't have any capacity issues?

The only reason AT&T wants people to switch to capped plans is because it's the only way other than adding new subscribers to increase revenue. If all your subscribers pay a steady fixed amount every month, and are locked in to that for 24 months, how can you get any more money out of them? That's why AT&T wants to artificially treat things like tethering and FaceTime as add-ons, as if they were providing some additional service when it actually makes zero difference to them. They know exactly how much data everyone is using, and they know what the trends are. The capped plans are created so that the average person will end up paying overages and probably having to increase their data cap at some point during their 2 year contract. It's a crappy way to increase revenue and reminds me of the schemes that credit card companies and banks use to increase revenues without having to actually provide better services.

Some of you people are out of your minds. Your current unlimited 3G plan gets throttled at 3 gigs. AT&T is giving you nearly double the data.. what is with the sudden outrage here?

And you couldn't ever use FaceTime on 3G anyway! You're not losing anything! :confused:

They're not giving me any data (except when I check my bill online.) AT&T is providing access to a network. At 45 Mbps, 5 GB = 16 minutes of network access. At 5.8 Mbps, 3 GB = 74 minutes. And I've been on the "unlimited" plan since the very beginning, well before they introduced any throttling BS.

If you're not irritated by AT&T's business practices, you don't understand them. And that goes for employees and shareholders as well.

Apple just worked really hard to make a phone that millions of people want, and that will drive many of them to sign a new 2 year contract with AT&T. Has AT&T pulled out all the stops to make the network that everyone has been waiting for? That is clearly a class-leader in the industry? Is their service totally covetable?

And how many people have died so far climbing towers for $10 an hour during their LTE roll-out? Hopefully not as many as during their 3G one.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
You know what this means? Buy unlocked iPhone 5 handsets and bring them to T-Mobile for $20 unlimited, unthrottled data :) enjoy faster HSPA+ than any other carrier in refarmed markets, and rest assured that your phone will switch over to LTE in 2013! :D

Last time I checked there was an asterix on their unlimited plans too.

Sprint seems to be the only one with truly unlimited. Not sure how their LTE coverage is.

Kinda hurts to pay AT&T for two years 5k for two lines. ;(

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
People hate AT&T over this, but I don't see screams over Verizon forcing people to give up unlimited.

Verizon is not forcing you to give up unlimited, however if you want to keep it you must pay retail. Not an ideal situation, however it is an option. Since AT&T is crappy where I live and doesn't even have 4G LTE I will probably just run my MAXX as long as I can and then make a decision when I need a new phone.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
SCREW ATT....

Verizon....
http://static.ips.apple.com.edgekey.net/ipa_preauth/content/catalog/en_US/index.html

Share Everything plans replace Single-Line plans and Family SharePlan, and can be used with one or up to 10 lines.

$120./month
Unlimited minutes
Unlimited messages
Text & MMS included
6GB data
tethering included

I use a family plan now and pay more than this with 3 of us on the plan for crappy ATT 3G service that is unusable most of the time.

Split between 3 people this is $40 (+taxes) a month for 2GB of data each. I usually don't use more than 1GB so it's plenty and it's LTE.

I'm in. Bye ATT.

That sounds good. But what's with people over 15GB per month? Sprint?

I feel for 200 bucks I should get unlimited everywhere. My cable Internet doesn't limit me either and I am consuming over 200Gb per month easily.

My business account with Dropbox and all design files are huge.

5gb is nothing.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Verizon is not forcing you to give up unlimited, however if you want to keep it you must pay retail. Not an ideal situation, however it is an option. Since AT&T is crappy where I live and doesn't even have 4G LTE I will probably just run my MAXX as long as I can and then make a decision when I need a new phone.

Sorry, but most people don't have the luxury or capability to buy an iPhone full retail price. Hence, those people have nothing left but be forced to give up the unlimited plan.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Who cares how fast you can download 5GB. The question is how much do you download in a month. I feel like I'm a fairly heavy user, and I hardly hit 2GB ever.

On the phones that existed before the original iPhone, how many people ever hit 2 GB per YEAR? The device and the network entirely dictate the usage model. The iPhone 5 on LTE is going to change the way people use their phones once again. (iPhone users at least, it won't matter much to the Android set.)

5 GB will no doubt be sufficient for most until 10 months from now when all their apps are updated to take full advantage of the device's new capabilities. At which point most people will go over their caps, get a huge bill / get throttled, be shocked and outraged, and then change their plan so they pay a higher amount every month.

Any one here remember when people used to use their phones for making calls and they did the same thing with minutes?

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Here's a Verizon specific question:

I'm due for an upgrade on October 12th, 2012 but I already have my 4S sold locally for $450 and plan to buy the iPhone5 straight up on release day. Can I still get a upgrade plan price on a second iPhone5 and keep my unlimited data on my plan due to the purchase of a full-price phone a few weeks earlier?

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Here's a Verizon specific question:

I'm due for an upgrade on October 12th, 2012 but I already have my 4S sold locally for $450 and plan to buy the iPhone5 straight up on release day. Can I still get a upgrade plan price on a second iPhone5 and keep my unlimited data on my plan due to the purchase of a full-price phone a few weeks earlier?

I would venture to say no. Verizon said that if you want your phone subsidized, you will have to give up your unlimited and switched to a shared data plan. You'll still be asking them to subsidize, so I see them forcing you to switch.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
meh. don't even have att LTE here in honolulu...one of the "coming soon" cities, but we'll see. don't qualify for upgrade until may 2013 anyway, so maybe by then we'll have LTE...am glad that att will grandfather my unlimited plan, though. maybe it just sounds better than it is since we're used to att screwing us over...

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
A little off topic but this is a counter to the argument that cell phone bills are high because the US is so large. Why shouldn't people who live in cities and high population density areas (a majority of Americans) pay less for their data than people who lives in the boonies? After all, the cost/benefit ratio is low. Carriers can build less towers to service everyone. If we have to deal with horrible overcrowded schools, traffic jams, and urban violence, why can't we get the perks of living in a high population area?
And sorry if you live in the boonies and have to pay more. At least you have the open space and clean air.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It's incredible that plans in the USA are around $100/month.

Here in france, we have unlimited plans (talk/txt/data) for €20/month. That's UNLIMITED on 3G and now LTE all over the country, great coverage, etc... From ALL carriers!!!

Something's wrong in the US!

The US has about the same area of Europe, much less France. This means added infrastructure and whatnot. You really can't expect this to be a fair comparison.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
It's sad but I'm happy about this. I hate getting throttled after 3 GB. I use just around 3 gb every month. Getting faster data is going to make me use 2 GB more per month so win for me :]

EMFR

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
Tucson
Looking for a little clarification.

"AT&T has verified to MacRumors that customers currently holding unlimited data plans will be able to keep those plans when upgrading to the iPhone 5, and will now get 5GB of data before being throttled. On 3G smartphones, users would get throttled after 3GB of transferred per month."

I'm currently a grand-fathered unlimited data ATT member but I live in a community where there is still not LTE coverage:

-So when I get my new iPhone 5 on ATT will I be upgraded to 5GB "unlimited" before throttle while i'm still using 3g or will I still only have a 3GB soft cap?

-LTE is supposed to be rolled out in my city (Tucson, AZ) before year end but chances are it won't be 100% city wide coverage for some time to come so with my new iPhone 5 in hand and retained "Unlimited" plan where will my soft cap lie if i'm constantly switching between 3g and LTE? 3GB or 5GB?

-Constructive input welcomed. Not looking for the ATT Flame threaders (I know the concerns/problems staying w/ ATT will cause me)

monoskier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Regarding facetime over cellular

I filed a complaint with the FCC a few weeks ago when AT$T announced their "no facetime over cellular unless you are on a shared plan" BS. One of their "executive support" staff called me about a week later to discuss the complaint. He wasn't willing to do anything, but at least he said they have received a lot of FCC based complaints and that "they are taking it very seriously and are looking into the situation".
My response to him: Whoop-de-frickin-do.

jdtoomey

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I don't get it....nothing has really changed. AT&T has been throttling for quite some time now, with 3g devices being throttled at 3 gb and LTE devices being throttled at 5 gb. ...this is news?!?!?

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
AT&T is the worst! Problem is I have great cell service here where most other cell companies don't.

I bought a 64gb 4S pre-order and paid $700 for it. So today I check upgrade availability and as of today it's 16 $649, 32 $749 and 64 $849. And the wonderful people at AT&T say in November it drops down to $449, $549 and $649. We are on a family plan and my little brother is the main account holder. Our average bill is about $350 a month (4 phones unlimited everything) and even his "upgrade" price is $449, $549 and $649.

I heard AT&T recently dropped the thing where the main account number could usually get a new phone every year for sub price if the account has a monthly bill of over $100 or something, but this is a bit of a rip off. (I know, I signed a contract) but being 4 users who usually buy iPhones every launch since the first one (or within 6 months or so after for the other 2 phones, they wait till upgradeable) for all these years they really have changed. Each year I usually have to pay full price then the following launch I get a "slight" break. Yeah my brother has almost always got the sub price. This time they didn't even seem to want to work with me when I called earlier. A few years back they at least knocked off $250 from the monthly bill which was AWESOME. But those perks are FAR and FEW between as of late it seems.

I'm going to see if that changes in the next 24 hours as we get closer to actual launch but if it doesn't change I will wait till Friday morning and call directly. My brother (main account number) and me spending $700 last year should be getting a little more of a break then they are saying. Who knows.

I know the iPhone 5 would be cool to have if I could get it to close to sub price or even for a little more but (going 32 this time) I don't think it's worth $749!!

And on top of all that they aren't going to offer Facetime over cell if unlimited and have the balls to throttle speeds after 5gb! What a bunch of crooks

jdtoomey

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Looking for a little clarification.

"AT&T has verified to MacRumors that customers currently holding unlimited data plans will be able to keep those plans when upgrading to the iPhone 5, and will now get 5GB of data before being throttled. On 3G smartphones, users would get throttled after 3GB of transferred per month."

I'm currently a grand-fathered unlimited data ATT member but I live in a community where there is still not LTE coverage:

-So when I get my new iPhone 5 on ATT will I be upgraded to 5GB "unlimited" before throttle while i'm still using 3g or will I still only have a 3GB soft cap?

-LTE is supposed to be rolled out in my city (Tucson, AZ) before year end but chances are it won't be 100% city wide coverage for some time to come so with my new iPhone 5 in hand and retained "Unlimited" plan where will my soft cap lie if i'm constantly switching between 3g and LTE? 3GB or 5GB?

-Constructive input welcomed. Not looking for the ATT Flame threaders (I know the concerns/problems staying w/ ATT will cause me)
It is having an LTE device that will bump you up to the 5 gb throttling limit, not actually having access to LTE. :)

HarveyLugTan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
iPhone5 Order through Apple or ATT

I have a 3GS and I'm definitely ordering an iPhone 5 Friday. My contract is done with AT&T, but I would like to keep my contract terms the same since I have unlimited data.

Do I order iPhone 5 from Apple or AT&T? Does it matter? Will I be able to keep my current contract terms if ordered through either one?

Also, if it really doesn't matter which one to order from... which one will ship faster???

Looking forward to getting the 5! Neat birthday present to myself!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.