macrumors 68000

The 6th gen was the perfect size

They should drop the shuffle and keep the 6th gen nano

the new nano is like some kind of bastard child of ipod touch
Yr Blues is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2
webslinger85
macrumors 6502a

Personally i found the 6th gen rather awkward to hold and control.
webslinger85 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Huge125
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
They should drop the shuffle and keep the 6th gen nano

the new nano is like some kind of bastard child of ipod touch
Agree. While I have never used a 6 gen, I do conceptually like the size. Was hoping for thinner design with BT. I bet it will be back next year. They seem to take more risks on their Nano line.

I don't know what audience they are targeting with this. For me, video is not that big of a benefit as I already have an iPhone and iPad. Guessing the fitness aspect will be greatest draw, just wish they would of kept the smaller form factor.

Sticking with my 3rd gen nano and Nike + dongle for now, unless they come out with some other apps to lure me in. BT is a great addition of course, and creates a whole host of opportunities for apps.
Huge125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:55 PM   #4
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

I liked the clip on the 6th gen. I guess these will have to be worked into cases on the 7th. I always thought that the 4th gen was going to be the 3rd with just a touch screen covering the entire front (mini iPod touch). It took all these years to finally work back to that.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Oohara
macrumors 65816

The new Nano looks really weird. The black glass bezel on the black one looks ok but the white bezel on the other colors looks really imbalanced somehow.

And the round icons...wtf? Why? I guess it's because they don't want people expecting this to be a real mini version of the Touch that could run regular apps or something. But it just looks....not quite Apple.

The whole design just lacks clarity and confidence. I really want to...want this thing, but I can't quite bring myself to.
Oohara is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohara View Post
The new Nano looks really weird. The black glass bezel on the black one looks ok but the white bezel on the other colors looks really imbalanced somehow.

And the round icons...wtf? Why? I guess it's because they don't want people expecting this to be a real mini version of the Touch that could run regular apps or something. But it just looks....not quite Apple.

The whole design just lacks clarity and confidence. I really want to...want this thing, but I can't quite bring myself to.
it's all around the strangest apple device ever. the previous nano was awesome. i expected some kind of wifi radio announcement, but nope
Yr Blues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:30 AM   #7
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

yes loved he 6th gen Nano so sad to see it change so much
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:26 AM   #8
NewAnger
Banned

I'm glad I bought my 6th gen over the summer. I think it's perfect. I bring it with me every day by clipping it to a belt loop and no one ever knows I have it.

I may buy the new one but I already use my current Nano and Classic more than my iPhone 4S 64GB for music.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:03 AM   #9
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

That small touchscreen on 6th is a joke...and the battery life too unfortunately
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:33 AM   #10
jodelli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukulcan View Post
That small touchscreen on 6th is a joke...and the battery life too unfortunately
Ditto. Having been disappointed by the tiny touch screen I was waiting for something like the 7th gen to come out. But i'll bet the 6th gen or something like it becomes the loss leader over the present shuffle, eventually.
jodelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:04 AM   #11
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816

I want to pick up a refurb 6th gen from Apple, but I'm wondering if any better deals will appear soon enough.

Not a fan of the new contraption they put out as the "nano".
CristobalHuet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:02 PM   #12
andymann
macrumors newbie

I think they're going to re-release it as an actual wrist-watch, possibly with bluetooth to connect with the phone, and nfc for mobile payments. That would actually make nfc a whole lot safer than it is now. It's only a matter of time before hackers figure out how to break into people's phones (and even wallets) via nfc. Having the chip on a seperate device, away from the phone itself would provide at least one more layer of protection. I don't see Apple throwing away all the R&D they spent turning the nano into a watch. I think they're just redfining the nano as what it should be, an ipod, so that they can take what it was becoming, a wrist-watch, and turning it into it's own product for yet another market segment. Genious!!

Just my $0.02.
andymann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymann View Post
I think they're going to re-release it as an actual wrist-watch, possibly with bluetooth to connect with the phone, and nfc for mobile payments. That would actually make nfc a whole lot safer than it is now. It's only a matter of time before hackers figure out how to break into people's phones (and even wallets) via nfc. Having the chip on a seperate device, away from the phone itself would provide at least one more layer of protection. I don't see Apple throwing away all the R&D they spent turning the nano into a watch. I think they're just redfining the nano as what it should be, an ipod, so that they can take what it was becoming, a wrist-watch, and turning it into it's own product for yet another market segment. Genious!!

Just my $0.02.
You can't do that with a device like that. That is why the LiveView and Smartwatch have issues. How is the NFC and Bluetooth supposed to work if it's at the back of the watch where your wrist is covering them?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:04 PM   #14
christ3d
macrumors newbie

I've been rocking a motoactv for the past year, it's slightly larger then the old nano, but it has wifi, bluetooth 4, gps and runs android. I'm an avid runner who doesn't want to carry a huge thing on my arm while I run (I prefer a watch that I can look down at)

The old nano was cool, but no gps... Only a pedometer, which is fine for soccer moms who want to feel good about walking a mile once a week, but not when I'm timing my run to the second.

I feel frustrated because instead of taking a step forward (Bluetooth 4 in an old nano size would have at least allowed a foot pod and Bluetooth headphones) we have a step backward with a larger nano which is just a cheap stripped down touch...

It's simply training wheels for a 10 yr old who wants a touch but the parents aren't spending that kind of money until the kid is older..

I really hope that they have a serious fitness device coming down the pipe, something between a Nike fuel band, motoactv, and nano.
christ3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:42 PM   #15
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
it's all around the strangest apple device ever. the previous nano was awesome. i expected some kind of wifi radio announcement, but nope
This is exactly what I was hoping for too... and it's also the exact, and the only, reason (okay, the hideous UI also helped fend off any temptation I had) I just purchased a $149 refurbished 4th gen iPod Touch from Apple over this thing at the same price. I wanted wifi radio options in a small device with music and preferably video. Oh well. I do suggest, however, that anyone considering purchasing the new Nano think about getting a $149 iPod Touch instead seeing as it does everything and more, just being bigger in size.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:06 PM   #16
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

No way, the 5th gen nano was the best ipod ever :-P

Click Wheel 4 Life!
oneMadRssn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:00 PM   #17
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukulcan View Post
It's some kind of wannabe iPod touch. I'd rather have Apple just keep it cheap, simple, and non-power-consuming. Really, I'd rather pay the $50 extra to get a full iPod touch, not this freak. At least you could use the 6th gen one as a watch, and the touch screen was actually useful.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:44 AM   #18
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

I thought the 6th gen was awful....

Then I purchased an armband and it made the device my favorite nano to date.

This 7th gen just feels like a small iPod touch, might have been neat if it was released with the first iPod Touch but now? It just feels like they are out of ideas. Even capacity updates don't seem important to Apple. Apparently they think we still use 128kbps AAC as the primary music format and that we're still in the world of standard definition videos.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:06 AM   #19
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don't see Apple throwing away all the R&D they spent turning the nano into a watch.
They didn't. They released an iPod nano. Third parties made the watch strap cases.
dontpannic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:44 AM   #20
andymann
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
They didn't. They released an iPod nano. Third parties made the watch strap cases.
Yes, but apple made that suggestion as well as making all the watch-faces for it they obviously pushed it in that direction for a purpose.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You can't do that with a device like that. That is why the LiveView and Smartwatch have issues. How is the NFC and Bluetooth supposed to work if it's at the back of the watch where your wrist is covering them?
Apple is the kind of company that can make it work. And just because those 2 watches have the chips on the back, doesn't mean an apple watch would. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money that there's at least a team within apple working on a prototype like this.
andymann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:12 AM   #21
student_trap
macrumors 68000

I always found the 6th gen a bit awkward, I thought the 5th gen marked the pinacle of nano design, just wish they had given it a 32gb option.

Looking forward to handling the new one though
student_trap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:46 AM   #22
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes, but apple made that suggestion as well as making all the watch-faces for it they obviously pushed it in that direction for a purpose.
Yes, they created more watch faces for it during a mid cycle software update, after third party companies created watch straps for them. I can't remember what keynote it was but it wasn't the nano announcement, I think it might have been 'back to the mac'.
dontpannic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:04 PM   #23
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

Well the good news is, there's still time to go out and buy up a 6th gen or two!
midwestfisherma is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:16 AM   #24
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfisherma View Post
Well the good news is, there's still time to go out and buy up a 6th gen or two!
Hell I just picked up a new factory sealed 5th gen for 220 on Amazon, Im sure there will be plenty of 6th gens around for years to come.

Another thing I don't understand is the dropping of the 8gb model, it was the middle man between the shuffle and 16gb nano, now instead of that middle man people go from 50 shuffle to 150 nano to all the way to 300 for the touch. They really screwed up the pricing scheme this generation.
iEvolution is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:16 AM   #25
IO01
macrumors member

Quote:
The 6th gen was the perfect size
I disagree. I thought the 4th/5th generation was the best size. I got a 6th generation when I sent in my original Nano for that replacement program last year, and I promptly sold it.
IO01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod