Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
They should drop the shuffle and keep the 6th gen nano

the new nano is like some kind of bastard child of ipod touch

Huge125

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Charlotte, NC
They should drop the shuffle and keep the 6th gen nano

the new nano is like some kind of bastard child of ipod touch

Agree. While I have never used a 6 gen, I do conceptually like the size. Was hoping for thinner design with BT. I bet it will be back next year. They seem to take more risks on their Nano line.

I don't know what audience they are targeting with this. For me, video is not that big of a benefit as I already have an iPhone and iPad. Guessing the fitness aspect will be greatest draw, just wish they would of kept the smaller form factor.

Sticking with my 3rd gen nano and Nike + dongle for now, unless they come out with some other apps to lure me in. BT is a great addition of course, and creates a whole host of opportunities for apps.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I liked the clip on the 6th gen. I guess these will have to be worked into cases on the 7th. I always thought that the 4th gen was going to be the 3rd with just a touch screen covering the entire front (mini iPod touch). It took all these years to finally work back to that.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The new Nano looks really weird. The black glass bezel on the black one looks ok but the white bezel on the other colors looks really imbalanced somehow.

And the round icons...wtf? Why? I guess it's because they don't want people expecting this to be a real mini version of the Touch that could run regular apps or something. But it just looks....not quite Apple.

The whole design just lacks clarity and confidence. I really want to...want this thing, but I can't quite bring myself to.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
The new Nano looks really weird. The black glass bezel on the black one looks ok but the white bezel on the other colors looks really imbalanced somehow.

And the round icons...wtf? Why? I guess it's because they don't want people expecting this to be a real mini version of the Touch that could run regular apps or something. But it just looks....not quite Apple.

The whole design just lacks clarity and confidence. I really want to...want this thing, but I can't quite bring myself to.

it's all around the strangest apple device ever. the previous nano was awesome. i expected some kind of wifi radio announcement, but nope

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I'm glad I bought my 6th gen over the summer. I think it's perfect. I bring it with me every day by clipping it to a belt loop and no one ever knows I have it.

I may buy the new one but I already use my current Nano and Classic more than my iPhone 4S 64GB for music.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
That small touchscreen on 6th is a joke...and the battery life too unfortunately :(

Ditto. Having been disappointed by the tiny touch screen I was waiting for something like the 7th gen to come out. But i'll bet the 6th gen or something like it becomes the loss leader over the present shuffle, eventually.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I want to pick up a refurb 6th gen from Apple, but I'm wondering if any better deals will appear soon enough.

Not a fan of the new contraption they put out as the "nano".

andymann

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I think they're going to re-release it as an actual wrist-watch, possibly with bluetooth to connect with the phone, and nfc for mobile payments. That would actually make nfc a whole lot safer than it is now. It's only a matter of time before hackers figure out how to break into people's phones (and even wallets) via nfc. Having the chip on a seperate device, away from the phone itself would provide at least one more layer of protection. I don't see Apple throwing away all the R&D they spent turning the nano into a watch. I think they're just redfining the nano as what it should be, an ipod, so that they can take what it was becoming, a wrist-watch, and turning it into it's own product for yet another market segment. Genious!!

Just my $0.02.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think they're going to re-release it as an actual wrist-watch, possibly with bluetooth to connect with the phone, and nfc for mobile payments. That would actually make nfc a whole lot safer than it is now. It's only a matter of time before hackers figure out how to break into people's phones (and even wallets) via nfc. Having the chip on a seperate device, away from the phone itself would provide at least one more layer of protection. I don't see Apple throwing away all the R&D they spent turning the nano into a watch. I think they're just redfining the nano as what it should be, an ipod, so that they can take what it was becoming, a wrist-watch, and turning it into it's own product for yet another market segment. Genious!!

Just my $0.02.

You can't do that with a device like that. That is why the LiveView and Smartwatch have issues. How is the NFC and Bluetooth supposed to work if it's at the back of the watch where your wrist is covering them?

christ3d

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
I've been rocking a motoactv for the past year, it's slightly larger then the old nano, but it has wifi, bluetooth 4, gps and runs android. I'm an avid runner who doesn't want to carry a huge thing on my arm while I run (I prefer a watch that I can look down at)

The old nano was cool, but no gps... Only a pedometer, which is fine for soccer moms who want to feel good about walking a mile once a week, but not when I'm timing my run to the second.

I feel frustrated because instead of taking a step forward (Bluetooth 4 in an old nano size would have at least allowed a foot pod and Bluetooth headphones) we have a step backward with a larger nano which is just a cheap stripped down touch...

It's simply training wheels for a 10 yr old who wants a touch but the parents aren't spending that kind of money until the kid is older..

I really hope that they have a serious fitness device coming down the pipe, something between a Nike fuel band, motoactv, and nano.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
it's all around the strangest apple device ever. the previous nano was awesome. i expected some kind of wifi radio announcement, but nope

This is exactly what I was hoping for too... and it's also the exact, and the only, reason (okay, the hideous UI also helped fend off any temptation I had) I just purchased a $149 refurbished 4th gen iPod Touch from Apple over this thing at the same price. I wanted wifi radio options in a small device with music and preferably video. Oh well. I do suggest, however, that anyone considering purchasing the new Nano think about getting a $149 iPod Touch instead seeing as it does everything and more, just being bigger in size.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
That small touchscreen on 6th is a joke...and the battery life too unfortunately :(

It's some kind of wannabe iPod touch. I'd rather have Apple just keep it cheap, simple, and non-power-consuming. Really, I'd rather pay the $50 extra to get a full iPod touch, not this freak. At least you could use the 6th gen one as a watch, and the touch screen was actually useful.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I thought the 6th gen was awful....

Then I purchased an armband and it made the device my favorite nano to date.

This 7th gen just feels like a small iPod touch, might have been neat if it was released with the first iPod Touch but now? It just feels like they are out of ideas. Even capacity updates don't seem important to Apple. Apparently they think we still use 128kbps AAC as the primary music format and that we're still in the world of standard definition videos.

andymann

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
They didn't. They released an iPod nano. Third parties made the watch strap cases.

Yes, but apple made that suggestion as well as making all the watch-faces for it they obviously pushed it in that direction for a purpose.

----------

You can't do that with a device like that. That is why the LiveView and Smartwatch have issues. How is the NFC and Bluetooth supposed to work if it's at the back of the watch where your wrist is covering them?

Apple is the kind of company that can make it work. And just because those 2 watches have the chips on the back, doesn't mean an apple watch would. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money that there's at least a team within apple working on a prototype like this.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I always found the 6th gen a bit awkward, I thought the 5th gen marked the pinacle of nano design, just wish they had given it a 32gb option.

Looking forward to handling the new one though

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Yes, but apple made that suggestion as well as making all the watch-faces for it they obviously pushed it in that direction for a purpose.

Yes, they created more watch faces for it during a mid cycle software update, after third party companies created watch straps for them. I can't remember what keynote it was but it wasn't the nano announcement, I think it might have been 'back to the mac'.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Well the good news is, there's still time to go out and buy up a 6th gen or two!

Hell I just picked up a new factory sealed 5th gen for 220 on Amazon, Im sure there will be plenty of 6th gens around for years to come.

Another thing I don't understand is the dropping of the 8gb model, it was the middle man between the shuffle and 16gb nano, now instead of that middle man people go from 50 shuffle to 150 nano to all the way to 300 for the touch. They really screwed up the pricing scheme this generation.

IO01

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
The 6th gen was the perfect size
I disagree. I thought the 4th/5th generation was the best size. I got a 6th generation when I sent in my original Nano for that replacement program last year, and I promptly sold it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.