Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PearlJam

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
On the O2 site you're asked to enter the SSN from your new SIM - am I missing something?! I don't have a new SIM yet so do I randomly make up a number?

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Thought I would just confirm that I have just ordered my nano-sim from O2. They are sending them out now, and I was also told that they are available in store too.

Did you do this online or on the phone? Could you tell us which number/department you contacted to do so? The website and webstore doesn't offer an option to purchase a nano sim. Thank you!

Big Ells

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
London, UK
I just got told this:

Ronan:Elliott, currently we don't have any updates as to when we'll start selling Nano SIMs once we've launched iPhone 5 with O2.

Then the 'guru' disconnected the chat session! :rolleyes::mad:

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Did you do this online or on the phone? Could you tell us which number/department you contacted to do so? The website and webstore doesn't offer an option to purchase a nano sim. Thank you!

On the O2 site you're asked to enter the SSN from your new SIM - am I missing something?! I don't have a new SIM yet so do I randomly make up a number?

...bet you any money you'll be sent a micro sim :D:D iPhone 5 details have yet to be released so why would they be offering nano sims yet?!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

Process works this way. You get the sim, either in the mail or instore, login to "My O2" then go to "My Account" And then activate SIm...A guru usually asks you a couple of security Q and A's, and THEN you type in the number from the back of the sim itself.

The process can take 24 hours to activate, and they won't budge on that one.

Also...Don't try using your old sim in another phone as it will not work, and could screw up the whole thing.

Why they can't simplify it I do not know, but normally it takes 4 to 5 hours before the service icon pops up. If you have wifi, you can go ahead and configure email etc while you wait.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
O2 (and others) on Twitter are saying the iPhone 5 will come preinstalled with a nano sim, so all you have to do is supply its serial number on their webpage with your details and i imagine, it should all transfer.

Search Twitter for 'O2 nano sim'.

Scrap that-they're saying something entirely different now. Soz for false hope.

Last edited:

Big Ells

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
London, UK
Thats what I would have thought. I'm hoping I can get an O2 nan sim before, if not it may be what tips me over the edge and moving to Tmobile!

rogerram

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Deepings, UK
? Good News from O2

Hi,
Was frustrated with nano sim supposedly not available until 21st-even checked out 3 who have them in stock now (Corby) but crap signal where I live.

Phoned my local O2 store who said to phone Wednesday or Thursday-when they should have the nano-sims & adaptors in stock & could do the swap to my 4S in store ready for the iPhone 5 from Apple.

Good news if it happens...?

PS Apple said no nano-sim from them-only network service providers.

Big Ells

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
London, UK
Hi,
Was frustrated with nano sim supposedly not available until 21st-even checked out 3 who have them in stock now (Corby) but crap signal where I live.

Phoned my local O2 store who said to phone Wednesday or Thursday-when they should have the nano-sims & adaptors in stock & could do the swap to my 4S in store ready for the iPhone 5 from Apple.

Good news if it happens...?

PS Apple said no nano-sim from them-only network service providers.

I hope thats true. Even considered moving to T mobile, but no nano sims for sim only plans!

Danielle89

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Hi I am 6 months into my 24 month samsung galaxy s2 contract with O2. I am wanting to upgrade to an iphone 5. If I buy the iphone 5 outright from apple, will O2 give me a nano sim with the same contract as my s2, so I dont end up paying more? So transfer my contract from the sim to the nano sim? Many thanks Danielle

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hi I am 6 months into my 24 month samsung galaxy s2 contract with O2. I am wanting to upgrade to an iphone 5. If I buy the iphone 5 outright from apple, will O2 give me a nano sim with the same contract as my s2, so I dont end up paying more? So transfer my contract from the sim to the nano sim? Many thanks Danielle

Yeah, you can move your contract to/from whatever kind of SIM you want. You won't get iPhone-specific features like Visual Voicemail though :).

Danielle89

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Yeah, you can move your contract to/from whatever kind of SIM you want. You won't get iPhone-specific features like Visual Voicemail though :).

Thank you for your reply, been very helpful!!! :) What other features do you mean? Will I get Siri, facetime etc...

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Thank you for your reply, been very helpful!!! :) What other features do you mean? Will I get Siri, facetime etc...

Yeah, it's only network features that won't work. The one's that come to mind are visual voicemail and personal hotspot. Facetime/siri will work fine :)

Danielle89

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Yeah, it's only network features that won't work. The one's that come to mind are visual voicemail and personal hotspot. Facetime/siri will work fine :)

I am going to sound dumb, but what does not having them features mean? :/ Will I be able to connect to wifi? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.