Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GBT

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
That's great news :D.

Edit: actually, I'd rather have the ability to take photos while recording, but that's iPhone 5 only :(. Oh well I'll just do what I usually do and pause the video then take a screenshot lol.

Actually there are Apps that do that!
I use QuickPix!

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
even if the 4s didn't get this feature, it's not a reason to upgrade to the 5. even LTE isn't a big deal (at least for me, where att LTE is not yet available in honolulu).

ios6 runs perfectly fine on the 4s...looks great so far. wife will get the 5, but i guess i'll have to wait til the 5s comes out next fall.

justjohn025

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Now all the camera on the 4S needs is the ability to take photos while shooting video like the iPhone 5 does.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Not on the iPhone 4? There can't be any reasonable excuse for that other than the fact that Apple wants us to spend money if we are going to get certain features. They're giving out iOS 6 for free to people with iPhones that are 2 generations behind, so I won't complain.
The iPhone 4s added some video stabilization mode. Probably they have a much tighter locking between video frames and the gyroscope orientation when each picture was taken. Could also just be Apple's nit picky "takes too long" (to process the images).

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Panorama on 4S with iOS6.0 is definitely there but no use to me as I already have several purchased panorama apps that have better interfaces. Too little too late Apple, unless you'll refund for the apps :D.
I did find it noticeably quicker to save than other panorama apps that I have used in the past.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
. . . I'll have to wait til the 5s comes out next fall.
With the 5 being double the speed of the 4S on paper, it seems unlikely we will see another doubling for the next gen iPhone. We may actually see the iPhone 6 name lovers get their wish so they can start posting about iPhone7.

As a 4S user I agree about the battery life issues so the unshrunk die size makes a huge difference. I happen to take a lot of panoramas then manually stitch them, so for me this is a useful feature. But I go to raw nature a lot.

I made the decision to forsake LTE for a cycle knowing deployment is narrow especially around me, and my usage is not mobile broadband anyway.

To me the increased wifi speed on the 5 is a killer feature, however they didn't offer 801.11ac which might have been expected. If the chip and adjustable antenna might support it, maybe there will be a software update when Apple offers 11ac base stations and desktops.

Rocketman

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I have the iOS GM and this feature is really impressive. It gives you a center line to keep the phone level and tells you if you are spinning too quickly. Here's a panorama of my living room:

Tzdk7.jpg

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It genuinely seems the iPhone 5 didn't get anything the iPhone 4S can't do in terms of software, which seems a first.

well the iPhone 5 has some new features to make it worth upgrading so Apple did not have to drop to a BS software blocks to make people ugprade.

Example of BS software block would be things like SIRI, no turn by turn, no facetime over 3G ect for the iPhone 4.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
No Panorama on iPad 3. I don't believe it's a hardware issue but a software issue, as the camera app only needs to deal with 8MP images.
Supporting the iPad would mean having to modify the app; I don't see why not, but then again, it's Apple we are talking about.
In the meantime, we can use a 3rd party app for Panorama shots.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
It genuinely seems the iPhone 5 didn't get anything the iPhone 4S can't do in terms of software, which seems a first.

Unless you call the A6 CPU/GPU useless. For me its more about the size been exactly what I was looking forward too, longer without a change in width. Still I will wait a few months to see how the programs evolve and of course to allow the mad dash to subside and the bugs if any in the hardware are ironed out. I leave the fandom to those who can not wait. :D

----------

Steve would have never allowed the iPhone 5.

His dead what he would have allowed is long past. What should be asked is what will the iphone 6 and 7 be like and how your not going to get the crack high you use to get which seems to be the bigger issue for the fangirls. :rolleyes:

----------

I have the iOS GM and this feature is really impressive. It gives you a center line to keep the phone level and tells you if you are spinning too quickly. Here's a panorama of my living room:

Tzdk7.jpg

Very nice for a dark room on an older phone. I for one am going to enjoy using it.

Vengeful

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
Panoramic apps have been around for a while, you could try them on the iPad I'm sure.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
That's great news :D.

Edit: actually, I'd rather have the ability to take photos while recording, but that's iPhone 5 only :(. Oh well I'll just do what I usually do and pause the video then take a screenshot lol.

There are apps that do this right on your iPhone - at 1080p resolution (and not 960*640). I can look up the name of the app I tested in this regard (can't remember it ATM) if you want.

iWe

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Steve would have never allowed the iPhone 5.
According to Walter Isaacson's biography Jobs was very much involved with the design of iPhone 5. But of course one wonders that if Steve was still around would the iPhone 5 been slightly more impressive, would there have been some magical one more thing that would have again set it apart from the rest. Of course even without any added functions Steve with his infectious enthusiasm and his magic reality distortion field could have made the iPhone 5 look like a far more compelling product than it is.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
According to Walter Isaacson's biography Jobs was very much involved with the design of iPhone 5. But of course one wonders that if Steve was still around would the iPhone 5 been slightly more impressive, would there have been some magical one more thing that would have again set it apart from the rest. Of course even without any added functions Steve with his infectious enthusiasm and his magic reality distortion field could have made the iPhone 5 look like a far more compelling product than it is.

I was kidding :p

For some reason, there are a couple of things people say randomly: "Safari seems snappier." and "Steve Jobs would have never allowed this."

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Awesome. I will be upgrading to iOS6 now on the 19th. This is the big feature that I wanted that Android had. Plus the new sports scores that Siri knows was my other complaint.

Now if they get Siri to translate on the fly...and the phone companies don't charge outrageous data fees while overseas.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
There are apps that do this right on your iPhone - at 1080p resolution (and not 960*640). I can look up the name of the app I tested in this regard (can't remember it ATM) if you want.

No it's fine, it doesn't bother me that much anyway. Thanks though :)!

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
With the 5 being double the speed of the 4S on paper, it seems unlikely we will see another doubling for the next gen iPhone. We may actually see the iPhone 6 name lovers get their wish so they can start posting about iPhone7.

As a 4S user I agree about the battery life issues so the unshrunk die size makes a huge difference. I happen to take a lot of panoramas then manually stitch them, so for me this is a useful feature. But I go to raw nature a lot.

I made the decision to forsake LTE for a cycle knowing deployment is narrow especially around me, and my usage is not mobile broadband anyway.

To me the increased wifi speed on the 5 is a killer feature, however they didn't offer 801.11ac which might have been expected. If the chip and adjustable antenna might support it, maybe there will be a software update when Apple offers 11ac base stations and desktops.

Rocketman

I noticed this two as I, with an iP4, and my wife, with a 4S, drove across the country this summer. I thought I heard somewhere that it is caused by searching for signals. Do you find that when you have good reception the battery issues diminish?

Panoramic apps have been around for a while, you could try them on the iPad I'm sure.

Yes, I've been using VideoPano for awhile to do this. It's slow as shiite on my 4 to produce a panorama from the video though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.