Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
It's very portable, offers a decent storage option (16 GB) and the screen seems perfect to browse songs. Not to mention it's 149$. Isn't that just great? It also has FM radio. I love it.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I think the nano lost it's place and IMO, it's too big. I bought the previous gen nano with the built in clip and it's the perfect size for clipping on my gym shorts for working out and/or running. I didn't see a built in clip on the new nano and the size just seems too big almost like they are trying to make it a mini iPod touch. I think if you want that experience, buy the touch but the nano (IMO) should have remained very small with built in clip. JMHO.:apple:

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
It's very portable, offers a decent storage option (16 GB) and the screen seems perfect to browse songs. Not to mention it's 149$. Isn't that just great? It also has FM radio. I love it.

I really can't tell if your being serious or not... Especially with your choice of profile picture.....:p

----------

I think the nano lost it's place and IMO, it's too big. I bought the previous gen nano with the built in clip and it's the perfect size for clipping on my gym shorts for working out and/or running. I didn't see a built in clip on the new nano and the size just seems too big almost like they are trying to make it a mini iPod touch. I think if you want that experience, buy the touch but the nano (IMO) should have remained very small with built in clip. JMHO.:apple:

I think your right. To be honest, I can see them dropping the whole ipod line on the next update and just releasing a small portable ipod (taking the place of the ipod shuffle and ipod nano) and a larger more storage based iPod with app functionality (taking the place of the ipod classic and ipod touch).

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
How we are supposed to train/run without a clip......? :(

There are accessories that you can use with it, just like all the previos gen Nano (except for the 6th).
Besides, you can still buy a new shuffle if that's all you need. I figured this Nano would fit in my pocket nicely.

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
well ..

...lack of wifi.
would be a perfect tiny browser ..
but everybody justs craves for the 4 inch display..

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
How we are supposed to train/run without a clip......? :(
I'm sure case companies will quickly come out with belt clip and arm band solutions. Or pick up a 6th gen before they disappear.

People are acting like the new nano is such a disappointment. Personally I never used the clip on my 6th gen, and if anything, I found it more annoying

If people don't like it, don't buy it, Apple isn't putting a gun to your head.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
There are accessories that you can use with it

I'm sure case companies will quickly come out with belt clip and arm band solutions.

People are acting like the new nano is such a disappointment. Personally I never used the clip on my 6th gen, and if anything, I found it more annoying

Just seems dumb to remove one of the big advantages, the clip.

I'm not saying the change was horrific, but it was "such a disappointment" to me. It's apples product to take in whatever direction they choose, but your (webslinger) acting like people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion on this. A lot of us wanted a more integrated nano, with more usability for workouts and physical activity. IMO, they gave an entire niche the cold shoulder. The new nano is a loss for me.

Also, I know I don't have to buy one, thanks for letting me know.:rolleyes: Point being is that I was ready to, until the reveal. Saved me some $$.

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Looks Cheap

To be very honest I think the new nano looks like a cheap china made ipod it looks kind of fake and the way they have designed the icons round still icons bluetooth isn't a big deal they should have included it last year than leaving the iPod line untouched with out any upgrades to it.

To be honest i think apple have lost it with the iPod line.:(

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
To be very honest I think the new nano looks like a cheap china made ipod it looks kind of fake and the way they have designed the icons round still icons bluetooth isn't a big deal they should have included it last year than leaving the iPod line untouched with out any upgrades to it.

To be honest i think apple have lost it with the iPod line.:(

Yeah, it looks to me like it was quickly made in last two months. The UI (and I don't mean just the circular icons), the design and the colours are not good either, maybe even worse than the 3rd gen colours.

The iPod update just doesn't seem Apple like, where did the simplicity go?

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
The best iPod nano was the 5th generation. That should have been the (at least) 2-year design, not the 6th gen or this thing. It's gaudy - no new features, just bringing back video they eliminated 2 years before - and I don't even think they allow you to change the background. I really wish the iPod Touch wasn't so damn expensive - could they really not just scrap the 4th gen and have an 8 or 16 GB new iPod Touch start at $199? At first, I didn't like those either - I still don't like the colored ones, but the black and white models are growing on me. Well, except that stupid "Loop" button- that will never grow on me, it's just gimmicky.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The best iPod nano was the 5th generation. That should have been the (at least) 2-year design, not the 6th gen or this thing. It's gaudy - no new features, just bringing back video they eliminated 2 years before - and I don't even think they allow you to change the background.

I agree with you on the 5th gen; I'm still rockin' mine, and probably will until they fall apart.

That said, I appreciate the return to form in the 7th gen, in regards to general shape and video playback. The resemblance to the 2nd gen's profile (from an edge-on perspective) is not lost on me either. I can't say I'm a fan of the white bezel, nor of the softened colors as shown in the promo photos. I'll have to reserve my judgment on those aspects until I see the actual product in person.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Nanos are all so different you are going to get strong opinions which ones people like best (For example I strongly disagree with the poster above me, I really disliked the 5th gen. I wish I hadn't sold my 3rd gen. But it now resides in my car as the car's dedicated ipod). I'm laughing at this thread cause when the 6th gen was introduced there was a lot of gnashing of teeth about how it lost features.

Now there is gnashing of teeth (which I will say I agree with as the 6th gen was one of my favorite nanos) about the change. But, I already have a 6th gen myself and I guess if it breaks I'll just buy a used one off of craigslist.

My personal problem, I hate the stick form. I don't understand why people like it so much (I actually expected people to be yaying at the bringing back of the more stick like form). I like the more square ones, they fit in your pocket better. And I love the clip myself (Though honestly I don't find it clips hard enough so I stopped trusting it so I guess it's not so useful :(. The idea was great though).

The only thing I disliked about the 6th gen was the battery life (cause it's so small).

Yeah, I'm not big on the change, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who liked the 6th gen (cause I was one of hte few defending it when they introduced it, I loved the idea from when they first introduced it!) but I just won't buy it and hopefully some point they'll come up with something better. It's not like I need a new nano anyways, they didn't even increase the storage space and I don't need more at the moment so it really doesn't affect me. Hell, if there's enough whining that people liked the watch like ipod maybe they'll bring something similar back (maybe with better battery life).

I do wish what they did was replace the shuffle with the 6th gen and maybe introduce this new nano. Best of both worlds for people who liked both and the shuffle really has gotten really stale (for one thing it just doesn't fit much music at all!). The 6th gen nano is a two year old design now, I don't see why they can't just bump it down to the shuffle price (maybe even just increase the shuffle price a little).

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I'm sure case companies will quickly come out with belt clip and arm band solutions. Or pick up a 6th gen before they disappear.

I use the clip all the time...

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
How to attach while lifting weights or running? Arm bands don't work for me when I'm lifting, I have a heart rate monitor strap across my chest, the monitor/watch on my wrist, so the best place would be to clip on my shirt. Maybe I could Velcro the nano to a small chip-clip?

I like the looks of the new nano a lot. Couldn't care less about FM radio or Nike+, just would like larger capacity than a shuffle. Maybe the didn't increase the capacity of the shuffle to try and move people like me to the nano.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Hmmm.. I'll have to see it in real life before deciding.

Honestly, in The Verge's hands-on video, it looks like a cheap chinese knock-off :confused:

But gonna try it in store when it's available :)

6GenNANO

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
:(

I said this once before, but I will say it again! I am really, really upset about this new Nano! I was excited that I would be able to use a nano as a watch with bluetooth capabilites at the gym! Having the controls on my wrist while connected wirelessly to my bluetooth headset is something I was looking forward too, and apple just crushed that dream yesterday. How in the hell am I am going to use this long nano as an easy accessible watch/mp3 player now at the gym? Why does apple ignore the people who workout? Why cant Apple release a sport nano? which is the 6th gen with bluetooth?

haruki

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
I'm really happy the nano has gone back to the rectangle shape instead of the awkward square. That's more Creative Tech than Apple.

The iPod is too big while the nano is the perfect size (with screen).

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

Like seriously wtf? I think all they should have added was bluetooth to the 6th gen Nano and maybe a battery life increase. It was PERFECT in size and I LOVE using it as a watch. I was so looking foward to being able to read text messages on it after I received them on my iPhone but they just decide to go and make it bigger. Thanks, but no thanks Apple

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I said this once before, but I will say it again! I am really, really upset about this new Nano! I was excited that I would be able to use a nano as a watch with bluetooth capabilites at the gym! Having the controls on my wrist while connected wirelessly to my bluetooth headset is something I was looking forward too, and apple just crushed that dream yesterday. How in the hell am I am going to use this long nano as an easy accessible watch/mp3 player now at the gym? Why does apple ignore the people who workout? Why cant Apple release a sport nano? which is the 6th gen with bluetooth?
You could get a small 30-pin bluetooth transmitter. There's several that work perfectly with the nano6G.

What I want is a small bluetooth transmitter that connects to the headphone jack. I need the 30-pin for my Nike+ receiver. Now that the 30-pin is effectively discontinued, I doubt Nike would be working on an integrated Nike+ receiver/Bluetooth transmitter.

dag-nab-it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.