Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Hi :)

I'm wondering if I can change th keyboard shortcut in Safari from "cmd + shift +[ or ]" to something more easier to perform like "cmd + option + left or right arrow"

Thanks for any help :eek:

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts

Then, click the "+" button. Select Safari as the Application on the Window that pops up. Type Select Previous Tab in the 'Menu Title' field. Then, press command+shift+left to set the shortcut and click 'Add' to save. Click the "+" again and repeat the process for command+shift+right (in this 'Menu Title' field, you will type Select Next Tab).

edit: Just saw you wanted 'option' instead of shift. It will work either way - just replace shift with option in my example.

Pics for reference:

T8FlY.png

LXttf.png

ZWS92.png

N8QKv.png

Last edited:

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Hi :)

I'm wondering if I can change th keyboard shortcut in Safari from "cmd + shift +[ or ]" to something more easier to perform like "cmd + option + left or right arrow"

Thanks for any help :eek:

I didn't even know about that shortcut. I've always used control+tab and control+shift+tab.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I didn't even know about that shortcut. I've always used control+tab and control+shift+tab.

Didn't know about this knew about the other way (which I never used) But good info to know. Might start using this.

tomf

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2009
Hi All,

I set up a keyboard shortcutto flip back and forth through my tabs in safari ( apple <- or apple -> ) - however they only work when the tab is empty.
If i have a web page open in a tab, then when i press my shortcut, it goes 'back' or 'forwards' in the page.

Any ideas on how i can stop this so i can cycle through my tabs as normal?

Thanks

petervangalen

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Update

Stooby Mcdoobie's post (#2) still works except you have to name the shortcut "Show Previous Tab" and "Show Next Tab", just like under the "Window" menu.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

Then, click the "+" button. Select Safari as the Application on the Window that pops up. Type Select Previous Tab in the 'Menu Title' field. Then, press command+shift+left to set the shortcut and click 'Add' to save. Click the "+" again and repeat the process for command+shift+right (in this 'Menu Title' field, you will type Select Next Tab).

edit: Just saw you wanted 'option' instead of shift. It will work either way - just replace shift with option in my example.

Pics for reference:

I just tried doing this, setting up shortcut using Option instead of 'command' to switch Tabs but isn't working for me :confused:

ScreenShot2014-02-05at110150am_zps0e7b68a0.png

Last edited:

inaim

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
Worked when using the word "show" not "select"

Augustya, use the word show instead of select like petervangalen suggested and you should be all set up! :)

gabrielpx

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
Thank you for the great tip ! It was a long time I was looking for it...

I have another indication for those who like me have their system in french. You have to use as a title for menu :
"Afficher l’onglet précédent" and "Afficher l’onglet suivant" but beware of the apostrophe ! You can't use the keyboard apostrophe because it's not the same unicode character as written in the title of the menu. I found the indication here (http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20140507023341281, thank you :) ).

So you could try to copy-paste what I have written here as title (but as I am not sure it will work), you can find the right character in the character visualizer. It is called "RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK".

Hope it can help french guys around... ;-)

bradmcfadden

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2016
this wasn't working for me and I realized the issue it is case sensitive

"show next tab" will not work.

it must be

"Show Next Tab"

Natan M

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
this wasn't working for me and I realized the issue it is case sensitive

"show next tab" will not work.

it must be

"Show Next Tab"
Just raged to say thank you , It worked for me only when retyped "show" thank you very much

drummerfix

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017

Pics for reference:

T8FlY.png

LXttf.png

ZWS92.png

N8QKv.png

DUUUUUUUUUDE! You're a lifesaver! Way to go on the screenshot too man. Super helpful and easy to follow along. :)

Thanks again brotha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.