Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
The new nano is just strange.

First, it really resembles Nokia Lumia.

But then, with its bigger size, it now actually resembles a product line Apple killed long ago -- the iPod mini! (I still have my green one!)

But the new touch is awesome. Seriously, how can anybody not love this? That aluminum body design should have been the new iPhone. While these colors seem tacky except from the cold green/yellow, I love the fact that its colors.

I would love a Product RED iPhone for example, or a blue one.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Huh, according to the official site that Bluetooth chip in the new iPod Nano supports the 4.0 standard. To the best of my knowledge 4.0 doesn't contribute anything to audio streaming. Could this mean Apple intends to offer other connectivity options for this new Nano in the future?

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
The Nano update just seems to prove they have no idea what to do with it; the last one was a wristwatch apparently, what's this new one supposed to be? It's a device that has just bounced between radically different designs, rather than finding a good one and refining. It also still seems to be running a separate OS rather than using a lite version of iOS, what's the deal with that?

To be honest the Nano would be a total right off if not for the fact that the iPod shuffle is arbitrarily limited to 2gb of memory; if they could fit 4gb into the previous generation then there is literally no reason for the current generation to have only half that for what isn't exactly all that cheap a price point anyway.

It almost seems as if the Shuffle and Nano are now just there to encourage you to dig deeper and just buy the Touch instead, rather than wandering around with something that's just unnecessarily crippled. Or buy a music player from someone else, which is looking like the more appealing option if my current iPod gives up.

hemin92

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012

Have you forgotten about this? Which came out in 2006...
iPod_nano_gen2_4up.jpg

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
SSD's of that capacity is still expensive so I can understand them not offering higher values. Your Classic is the old way of listening to music, with Google Music and Apple iTunes Match, bigger HD for music is a thing for the past, at least that is what Google and Apple want you to do. You can still buy the older iPod Touch if that's what you like, but the new one can be bought in either white or black too and it looks just like an iPhone 5 but slimmer so I don't see how is not logical, stylish or professional enough for you. The Shuffle is the adult use iPod for workouts and taking it out on a run, the Touch is the gateway drug to the iPhone, the Nano is the lost child that they keep trying to reinvent time after time to see if one style becomes a hit. Honestly I disagree w/ your opinion and believe they took a smart step to a slopping product. Except the Nano, that is ugly! I for one have my whole 12K song collection on Google Music and it's my version uploaded and it was free. I have my music on an external HD, but I'm always even at home streaming it from Google Play if it's not on my iPhone, tablet, Mac or PCs.

It will be interesting to see how well the new iPods sell over the next year. I take your points above but just from what I see on the street and talking to friends I would say that the sales of the iPod will continue to fall over the next year as more people switch to alternatives such as smartphones and music streaming services such as Spotify. I know they come in black and white but I'm seriously not impressed with the design or the colours. Apple had positioned the Touch as more of an adult device with the previous design. I think this design is an attempt to re-position them once again as a device for teenagers.

However I'm in a really good mood today as I've found a way around this problem. I've found a great little gadget called the KIngston Wi-Drive. It's a tiny portable wireless flash drive that fits in your pocket and sync's with the iPhone to add 64GB of memory. It's only £110. So I'm going to get one put as much music on it as possible (hopefully there will be a 128GB version soon) and sync it to my iPhone and S3. Magic. No more iPods for me. I'll probably keep the Classic for when I'm at home until it dies by which time hopefully there will be more 128GB devices. That's really cheered me up lol. Bye bye iPod it was nice knowing you.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
pre-orders on sept 14 and than available october :confused: does not make any sense to me.. why pre-order now and have to wait like a whole month :rolleyes:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I had my mind set to going iPhone this year, however the iPod Touch has just made the decision more difficult.

I cannot understand why they couldn't hybrid the nano with some seek buttons on the left and right of the home button so we music fans can operate it without looking at it. To tell you the truth the newest nano seems like a even further step back from the previous generation. At least the nano could be put in an armband for quick easy access without being too big. Of course I'd need to see it in person to really gauge the size.

ifudge

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2004
"It almost seems as if the Shuffle and Nano are now just there to encourage you to dig deeper and just buy the Touch instead, rather than wandering around with something that's just unnecessarily crippled."

That's why Ford sells Mustangs, so you'll buy a Lincoln. he Mustang is crippled.

That's why Nikon offers crippled point and shoot digicams, so you'll buy a DSLR.

That's why Apple sells crippled iPads, so you are encouraged to buy an AirBook. So you're encouraged to buy a MacBook. So you're encouraged to by an iMac.

Actually, Apple sells the unnecessarily crippled Touch so you'll be sure to purchase the iPhone. :)

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
"It almost seems as if the Shuffle and Nano are now just there to encourage you to dig deeper and just buy the Touch instead, rather than wandering around with something that's just unnecessarily crippled."

That's why Ford sells Mustangs, so you'll buy a Lincoln. he Mustang is crippled.

That's why Nikon offers crippled point and shoot digicams, so you'll buy a DSLR.

That's why Apple sells crippled iPads, so you are encouraged to buy an AirBook. So you're encouraged to buy a MacBook. So you're encouraged to by an iMac.

Actually, Apple sells the unnecessarily crippled Touch so you'll be sure to purchase the iPhone. :)
Except that in the case of the Shuffle and Nano I'm not sure it's going to work at all; Shuffle used to be ideal for people who just wanted a simple music player on the go, but 2gb isn't really enough space, which is a huge bummer considering they actually realised just how big a mistake the previous generation was (buttons on the headphone suck ass); but now we've got the old design with the old specs to boot, and no cheaper or lighter.

The result is that for people for whom the Shuffle was ideal are now looking up to the Nano, which is not really an alternative at all. It's more likely that people who would have bought a Shuffle are now just going to buy someone else's music player entirely.

Anyone considering the Nano to start with will certainly want to consider the touch instead, but the price difference isn't small, so again it's more likely these people will take a good look at alternative players that do so much more for the same price.

Even the iPod touch, as others have pointed out, if you pop a contract onto it you can just get an iPhone instead. So all this really means is that Apple's iDevice lineup is literally just iPhones and iPads; there's no low-end to speak of at all anymore.

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
Am I missing something? Why not just buy an iphone for the same price?

In my case because I don't talk on the phone all that much, maybe a total of 100 minutes a month. And I don't text all that much. I run off email and wifi based communications. So to get an iPhone means getting a plan that is going to cost me at least $1680 plus the cost of the phone. I would rather spend that on something I actually want, like a vacation. I mean, I rented a house for a month long trip to New Orleans for a month for far less than the cost of a sell phone plan.

I have an iPod to play music, check email, play games, and yes, talk on the phone and text. It is also my calendar, notebook, etc. It is a tool for organization and communication, I just don't need the communication package that the cell phone companies want to sell me, at least not at the price they are selling them for.

An unsubsidized iPhone that I could use on a pay as you go plan is way more than the iPod touch.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Dissapointed. When i see the photo of the iPods new line I thinked "these are not Apple products". The new nano shape is like a cheap mp5 player and reminds me to Zune or new Nokias. Horrific home screen.. No icloud again. I bet you that the next ipod nano will be a triangle shape, they seem lost in design..

The new ipod touch already borned outdated with the A5. Awful colors and with an unclean back. It's stupid having a circle if you won't use the loop like most people.

The good, the new iPhone features, new itunes and the earbuds.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Looking at the new iPod touch, it feels like I've seen a curvature like this before. Maybe on a tablet or a smartphone, but I'm racking my brain trying to figure how it is familiar.

seems like the ipod classic shape, but thinner.

----------

ahhh again two pricing just like retina macbook
new iPod touch price is higher than old one :(
Good features though , again missing 3g/4g .

i bought my 32gb 4g touch for 299€ so the price is the same. They lower the price of the old one.

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
woah, those colors are really bad. before seeing them i didn't know what people were going on about.

mcbudz

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
this pricing scheme just makes me wonder where they'll price the iPad mini (if in fact they are planning on releasing one). Will they be able to introduce a 7 inch tablet with half of the memory as the newest iPod Touch at the same price range? If they're looking to enter the 7 inch market, they'd best start the lowest model at $299. Will they sacrifice the beautiful retina display? It doesn't seem likely but this new lineup of theirs has me wondering where exactly the rumored mini will enter the scene. :confused:

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
HORRIBLE examples for cars

Hmph. Do your research before saying the Mustang is crippled. I would NEVER, EVER buy a Lincoln because the Mustang is "crippled". Lincoln is garbage and has no option for a muscle car. Ford and the mustang have made significant improvements in the quality of material used. Especially with the rumors of the redesigned mustang supposedly being revealed next year or 2014. But that was an atrocious comparison for cars to ipods.

I like the iPod nano. It should have never looked like mini-square "wrist-watch" piece of crap. Totally made and used for the wrong purposes. I'm glad they made it like the older nano model's size. Better for workouts, usuability and more attraction.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
SSD's of that capacity is still expensive so I can understand them not offering higher values. Your Classic is the old way of listening to music, with Google Music and Apple iTunes Match, bigger HD for music is a thing for the past, at least that is what Google and Apple want you to do.
On a portable device crippled with USB 2.0 internal peripheral speeds, you do not need to worry about slapping down a nice controller or fast NAND for storage. This is not the SATA 6 Gbps or PCIe game for speed. The internal bus is going to be the limitation. You are competing against flash drives with similar densities to reach the ballpark of 128/256 GB.

Not that anyone seems to care about transfer speeds of a whopping 30 MB/s. (or less...)

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I'm happy with my simple nokio 8210 dumbphone and a 27" 3.4GHz imac but I was really hoping that the new Nano would have a video camera of some sort.

Not that I'm unhappy with my 5th gen nano, it's just that it got dragged along the ground once and now it's a bit scratched up. Still works great, don't get me wrong, but it's just very sad to have a scratched mac product.

A lot of people must also wish that the new nano came with a video camera because I can see no other reason that the 5th Gen nano is more expensive now than when it came out.

In fact the just released iPod touch is only $50 more than the 8GB 5th nano's on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.