Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I use the TomTom app now and the maps are all loaded onto the phone and thus doesn't use any of my data... Does iOS 6 do this or does using my phone as a turn by turn GPS suck up my data plan?

Thanks

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure.

I used the Maps turn by turn to drive to Cape Cod (a little less then 2 hours).
It worked great.

The next day I got a warning email from AT&T that I was about 90% of my data allowance.

I have never been more then 50 before.

I would be careful using it for long trips, or don't leave it running on long highways.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I will have to stick with the TomTom app then...

It would be nice if they would give us the option of loading the map data locally. I would love to be able to use Siri to control the Tom Tom app but it doesn't seem like that's going to be an option any time soon.

Oh well.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
actually on ios 5 it had data cache. i traveled to europe last winter, and in the morning before got out from the hotel, i used to preload the map from all the area i knew i was going to be visiting. and it worked very well, the map were stored on the cache.

for the gps signal it doesnt need data, the data is for download the maps, but once you ''downloaded'' it doesnt need the data anymore

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I would imagine that its both temporary and small.

Its nice and everything but I don't want to have to micromanage my maps... I travel a lot...

It would be so awesome to be able to locally store the maps.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I was afraid of it using too much data. Looks like I'll have to keep my Garmin app on standby for my trip to Canada on Monday. Will update on how well that goes.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
actually on ios 5 it had data cache. i traveled to europe last winter, and in the morning before got out from the hotel, i used to preload the map from all the area i knew i was going to be visiting. and it worked very well, the map were stored on the cache.

for the gps signal it doesnt need data, the data is for download the maps, but once you ''downloaded'' it doesnt need the data anymore

That's interesting. So if you were going to go on a long trip, could you just hop on wifi then move through the route to let the maps load? And will it stay on there forever? This should be an automated feature.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
That's interesting. So if you were going to go on a long trip, could you just hop on wifi then move through the route to let the maps load? And will it stay on there forever? This should be an automated feature.

Yeah thats how it works, not forever but at least for one day. I did it several times while traveled around europe. Zoomed in all the area i knew i was going to be traveling

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty sure.

I used the Maps turn by turn to drive to Cape Cod (a little less then 2 hours).
It worked great.

The next day I got a warning email from AT&T that I was about 90% of my data allowance.

I have never been more then 50 before.

I would be careful using it for long trips, or don't leave it running on long highways.

There is no way that this correlates. I have used it on 2 hour drives and never been warned. Its a minimal amount of data used.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I use the TomTom app now and the maps are all loaded onto the phone and thus doesn't use any of my data... Does iOS 6 do this or does using my phone as a turn by turn GPS suck up my data plan?

Thanks
It sucks up your dataplan in real time.

But by suck, I mean sips. New Apple/iOS6 maps are vertex based rather than bitmap. Data use, in theory, should be minuscule in comparison.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
How big is this TomTom app? If it has maps preloaded, it must be a big file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.