Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I was planning to preorder through Apple tonight, just selecting the dumb phone as the line to upgrade. It shouldn't have to be ordered through Verizon, right?

brandnewrock22

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
This is exactly what I want to do. I have old flip phone sitting around, how come you said it won't work for everyone? I was planning on adding the line today with the existing phone (should only be $9.99) and then preordering an iPhone with that line. After it arrives, I should be able to just switch the phones on each line and cancel the data plan. Also, I shouldn't be switched to the Share Everything plan, since I already have two smartphones on this account (only one is eligible for an upgrade)

I just feel like I've heard two contradicting things about adding a line and am hoping someone can clear this up.

The reason I said this won't work for everyone is because it seems like every time I take part in the iPhone pre-release threads, someone who has a Nationwide Connect plan (or some other odd plan that doesn't exist anymore) chimes in.

What you're talking about is exactly what I've already started to do. Assuming you're on a Nationwide Family Share plan, you should be good to go. It would only cost $9.99+tax per month, as long as you remember to remove the data plan from the dumb phone.

----------

Question for those who know what they are talking about and not just assuming like aohus.

If I swapped a smartphone for a dumbphone on a new line and remove data plan, would the ETF be the smartphone price ($350), or the regular price ($175) ....since I would be on a basic line. I'm assuming it would be smartphone ETF but it doesn't hurt to ask, and maybe save more money than letting the contract ride out.

Unfortunately, you are stuck with the higher ETF because you used the upgrade to purchase a smartphone. They don't allow you to pay the lesser one even though you switched out to a dumb phone on that line in the end.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, I was planning to preorder through Apple tonight, just selecting the dumb phone as the line to upgrade. It shouldn't have to be ordered through Verizon, right?

Correct...but you have to call VZW the day you receive it activate it on YOUR line.

stardust86

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
So if I follow through with this loophole, do I get all of the benefits of the iphone 5?

In other words, do I get 4g/LTE or will the iphone be operating on 3g? Also, will I get the free hotspot? I ask these questions because on the new data plans 4g/LTE and free hot spot are part of the plans. Under VZ's old system, if you wanted 4g/LTE or a hotspot, you had to pay for it and so since this loophole allows you to get a 4g/LTE capable phone, will it operate with 4g/LTE and a hotspot since you're basically tricking the system or will it still be using 3g with no hotspot?

Does anyone know the answer to this? I would like to know as well! Thanks! :)

stardust86

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012

Never mind, I just spoke to a Verizon rep online and they confirmed that the loophole does indeed work! You will receive 4G LTE because it's on the data network. However, the hotspot feature is only available on the shared data plan! Not sure why this would be the case, but if anyone finds out otherwise, please let me know!

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
Originally Posted by halfmonkey
So if I follow through with this loophole, do I get all of the benefits of the iphone 5?

In other words, do I get 4g/LTE or will the iphone be operating on 3g? Also, will I get the free hotspot? I ask these questions because on the new data plans 4g/LTE and free hot spot are part of the plans. Under VZ's old system, if you wanted 4g/LTE or a hotspot, you had to pay for it and so since this loophole allows you to get a 4g/LTE capable phone, will it operate with 4g/LTE and a hotspot since you're basically tricking the system or will it still be using 3g with no hotspot?

If you move the iPhone 5 to a line with unlimited data, then you will get unlimited data, however using it as a mobile hotspot is still extra for $30. Only the Share Everything data plans have the free hotspot option.

To answer the other part of your question, if you are using the iPhone 5 in an area with 4G LTE service, then you will get that service to use with unlimited data.

stardust86

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
If you move the iPhone 5 to a line with unlimited data, then you will get unlimited data, however using it as a mobile hotspot is still extra for $30. Only the Share Everything data plans have the free hotspot option.

To answer the other part of your question, if you are using the iPhone 5 in an area with 4G LTE service, then you will get that service to use with unlimited data.

Perfect, thanks so much for your clarification! :)

It's annoying that Verizon locks the hotspot feature as it's available in Asia for FREE.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
The reason I said this won't work for everyone is because it seems like every time I take part in the iPhone pre-release threads, someone who has a Nationwide Connect plan (or some other odd plan that doesn't exist anymore) chimes in.

What you're talking about is exactly what I've already started to do. Assuming you're on a Nationwide Family Share plan, you should be good to go. It would only cost $9.99+tax per month, as long as you remember to remove the data plan from the dumb phone.
Anyone adding any new line of service will automatically be forced into shared plans.

brandnewrock22

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Anyone adding any new line of service will automatically be forced into shared plans.

Not necessarily true. It depends on what you mean by "shared." If you're on an individual plan and want to add a second line, then of course you will have to convert. However, if you are on a Nationwide Family Share plan, you can put individual data on, such as the 2GB/$30 option.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Question.. would this work?

Friend has an unlimited individual plan. His father also has Verizon and has an old non-smart phone and probably hasn't gotten a new phone since 2000. Can my friend use his father's upgrade to get the phone and switch it to his account (like the example used in the Family Share plan) and then just switch his father's plan back to whatever bare minimum plan he has?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Not necessarily true. It depends on what you mean by "shared." If you're on an individual plan and want to add a second line, then of course you will have to convert. However, if you are on a Nationwide Family Share plan, you can put individual data on, such as the 2GB/$30 option.

Read pages 2 & 3.

SUB account.

aeronauticsrock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
I have already gotten everything on my account where I need it for my pre-order later this evening (3am for me). Let me fill you in on what I did. This won't work for everyone, so please don't hold me to this:

Current plan:
2 iPhone 4 devices
Verizon Nationwide Family Share Talk & Text (Account Level Pricing) - $80
Unlimited 3G Data on both - 2 x $29.99
Line access fees: 2 x $9.99
Total: $159.96 pre-tax, pre-discount

My biggest issue with upgrading on my line is that I wanted to keep my unlimited data. Here's my solution:
1. Add extra line using an old flip-phone I had laying around (Samsung Convoy) - $9.99 extra per month on family plan (bringing your own equipment means NO contract!)
2. Preorder iPhone 5 on new line, add 2GB/$30 data plan
3. Activate iPhone 5 on line, then re-activate Convoy
4. Drop data plan from line Convoy is on now
5. Activate iPhone 5 on my personal line.

We were looking to get a home phone anyways, but our cable company was trying to charge us more money than we were looking to spend. Using these steps, I'll have a brand-spankin' new iPhone 5 with unlimited data and an extra line to use as our home phone.

Are you using SUB account? Because the rep I talked to today wouldn't let me add a line without going to a shared data plan??

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Okay. Great find. However, how is this situation going to work with sim cards? When you order the phone on a different line, they will send you a sim preprogrammed to that number. When you switch back to the dumb phone, can you reuse the sim? Or will you have to wait a few days for a replacement?

aeronauticsrock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Well the rep I just talked to said I can indeed just add lines to my existing family share plan for 9.99 a month. Won't work on the website but he will call me back at 9am tomorrow to do it :D

halfmonkey

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011

If in fact this is true, this would be the best case scenario because all of those that are upgrading via this loophole will get 4g/lte speeds and if we then pay an additional $30, we'll get unlimited hotspot. There's no way that the current plans can beat that. If this actually works, I guess I better like the iphone 5 because we will never be switching again.

NttDocomo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Hi sorry to post an unrelated question here but I wonder the same trick works for AT&T? I remember seeing some posts about the same thing, getting the phone on a dumb line but not activating the phone with the dumb line so to avoid data. The question is whether AT&T also allows freezing, otherwise it will be $240 + tax. Thanks very much for any comment or help. Good luck.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Okay. Great find. However, how is this situation going to work with sim cards? When you order the phone on a different line, they will send you a sim preprogrammed to that number. When you switch back to the dumb phone, can you reuse the sim? Or will you have to wait a few days for a replacement?

if that is the case, you can get a free nano sim card from your local verizon store.

i remember when i got galaxy nexus directly from verizon the nano sim card came outside of the phone itself. it wasn't preprogrammed iirc.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
A friend of mine has a single line Unlimited Data Plan. His brother-in-law has a 700 minute shared plan with an available upgrade. Originally we were told by three Reps at Verizon that it would be no problem for his brother-in-law to get the phone on his account, activate it, deactivate it and go back to his old phone/plan and then give my friend the phone to use on his Unlimited Data plan and he wouldn't lose Unlimited Data.

A fourth Rep just said that his brother-in-law would need to keep the phone activated on his account for 14 days BEFORE giving it to my friend to activate on the Unlimited Plan and that might not guarantee that it wouldn't terminate Unlimited Data.

Anyone have any thoughts or info on this?

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I am just going to share my thoughts.

I find it absolutely inane to consider getting this on a plan. You'd end up paying over a grand and a half for a phone that is really around $600-$700. If it's the breaking up of payments isn't it better to just put it on a credit card, but pay full price and pay it off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.