Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There has been some consternation over the lack of backwards compatibility with the new Lightning dock connector in the iPhone 5. The Lightning to 30-pin adapter doesn't pass any video and may not work with all audio docks.

One MacRumors reader expressed particular concern over the lack of video support, noting that many in-car aftermarket entertainment systems use the video out function of the 30-pin connector to display and control apps from head units. It seems, however, that Apple does have at least a partial solution.

lightningadapter.jpg

As The Verge reports, Apple is building Lightning to HDMI and Lightning to VGA adapters and quotes an Apple spokesperson as saying they "will be available in the coming months." Without these adapters, iPhone 5 owners' only option to output video from the device would be AirPlay.

The Verge doesn't reveal pricing, but the Apple Digital AV Adapter -- the 30-pin to HDMI adapter for the iPad and iPhone 4S -- is $39 direct from Apple.

Article Link: Apple Promises iPhone 5-Compatible HDMI and VGA Cables Coming Soon

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Watch as 3rd-party adaptors come out that cost $5. Apple really needs to decrease the prices on these or make some of them come free with the iPod.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Any guess as to what each of those pins do?

You can do power and data with just 4 pins... what do the other 4 pins do?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Cool.

Didn't think they'd actually attempt to force people to stream via Airplay.

Sells more AppleTV's....

Was wondering as I know a lot of people (including me) that hook up our iPads to older TV's and Projectors. The new iPads will have Lightning as well...

No hope for Composit or Component it seems...

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
From what I've read about this, Lightning is very different from Dock Connector in the way it works. It would take a computing device to convert Lightning to Dock Connector and have the video out work. So trying to convert and have those things work is a lost cause, sadly.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
This launch seems way too unplanned and rushed.

To be honest, I DO NOT think Steve would have allowed this kind of disorganization:

- New interface LACKING functionality which will be "coming soon".
- Lack of Apple case/bumper, at launch at least.
- Lack of adapter available at launch.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
So... Does this mean my ihome alarm clock won't play music anymore?

Yes, if you buy the iPhone 5 and if the adaptor does not transfer the audio. The iHome should really have Airplay support.

----------

This launch seems way too unplanned and rushed.

To be honest, I DO NOT think Steve would have allowed this kind of disorganization:

- New interface LACKING functionality which will be "coming soon".
- Lack of Apple case/bumper, at launch at least.
- Lack of adapter available at launch.

Also:

- iPad doesn't have Lightning.
- iPod Classic doesn't have Lightning.
- Everything else does...

antxeater

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
One MacRumors reader expressed particular concern over the lack of video support, noting that many in-car aftermarket entertainment systems use the video out function of the 30-pin connector to display and control apps from head units. It seems, however, that Apple does have at least a partial solution.

As The Verge reports, Apple is building Lightning to HDMI and Lightning to VGA adapters and quotes an Apple spokesperson as saying they "will be available in the coming months."

How is that a partial solution?! :mad:

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
Apple is really getting good at making cables for their cables. It seems to be a trend in their products across the board. I guess it's good if you are a stock holder, but bad if you are just out to get a new phone or laptop.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Just buy a new radio, or a new car.;)

Right on! Only buy radios that do AirPlay - it's been out for some time. Or Bluetooth. What is with these radio manufacturers stuck in the past. Will Mercedes, BMW and Chrysler not have things out soon for this. Support the economy, buy new cars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.