Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I have a friend who lives in Turkey. He comes to the States a few times each year - he owns properties here. He wants an iPhone 5. We're trying to figure out how to get him one. He'll be coming to the States in early October. What are his options? Can he pre-order tonight online from Turkey and purchase an iPhone 5 and maybe pick it up in an Apple Store in the States when he gets here in October? Would he be better off just going to an Apple Store when he is in the States and trying to buy one off the shelf? (They will probably be sold out from Oct 1 thru Oct 15, right? That's when he will be here.)

Could I help him out somehow? Is it possible to buy an iPhone 5 without a contract or perhaps an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple? How much would it cost him? I have no idea what cell phone company he uses in Turkey.

I saw a list of countries that Apple will be shipping to in September, but Turkey was not on the list. Can he pre-order an iPhone 5 tonight using his Turkey address and credit card and have it shipped to Turkey when they start shipping to Turkey? Do you think he would get it faster if he bought it in the States?

Thanks!

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Well, Apple is not expected to release unlocked iPhone 5's on launch day. They are expected to roll out sometime probably within 1-2 weeks after launch. No need to go through the hassle of ordering online. If they are released by the time he comes to the states, then he shouldnt have a problem picking one up at a store. They likely wont be sold out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.