Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Hey everyone,

The title says it all?

I am very careful about how and where I use my email address. But I am in need of an answer.

The only thing I can find is "rules" in preferences. I used that but I want to go further by flat out ip banning or even blocking the two email addresses that recently contacted me.

thank you for reading this.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Already done sir. I want to take it further but I don't think iCloud will let me. :)

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
That is the extent of it. You can either report it as spam or create a rule to discard emails from a certain address.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Already done sir. I want to take it further but I don't think iCloud will let me. :)

There is no way to do this. All you can do it mark it as spam.

What you night do is create a second email alias in iCloud and use that for shopping etc where you might get spam. If it starts to get spam you can delete the alias and create a new one. Then just keep your main iCloud email for friends/family who won't spam you.

Simbad54

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Paris
There is no way to do this. All you can do it mark it as spam.

What you night do is create a second email alias in iCloud and use that for shopping etc where you might get spam. If it starts to get spam you can delete the alias and create a new one. Then just keep your main iCloud email for friends/family who won't spam you.

What if you have already given out your main email address?
I don't want to change it, and i get regular spam.
There must be some way to block an unwanted email address.
Perhaps you need to contact your ISP?
Could that work?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What if you have already given out your main email address?
I don't want to change it, and i get regular spam.
There must be some way to block an unwanted email address.
Perhaps you need to contact your ISP?
Could that work?

Assuming your ISP offered this service, yes that would work.

johnsmith84

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Yes just make a rule? Send them all to trash. Why is this not enough?

Because I get spam from lots of different sites. I would have to make a new rule for every piece of spam I get. I don't really want to create 200 or so rules just to filter out what is obviously spam. There has to be an easier way to create a black list, or for Apple to improve their spam filters. At the moment I just get gmail to fetch all of my messages from iCloud and read them on my gmail account. My gmail address does a good job of filtering out the spam and I get less than 1 spam message a month. iCloud's spam filters are terrible - up to 100 spam messages a day (all of which gmail's spam filters correctly identify as spam). I would like to be able to use my iCloud address on my iPhone but at the moment that is not possible - too much spam leads to unwanted mail all hours of the day and night.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Because I get spam from lots of different sites. I would have to make a new rule for every piece of spam I get. I don't really want to create 200 or so rules just to filter out what is obviously spam. There has to be an easier way to create a black list, or for Apple to improve their spam filters. At the moment I just get gmail to fetch all of my messages from iCloud and read them on my gmail account. My gmail address does a good job of filtering out the spam and I get less than 1 spam message a month. iCloud's spam filters are terrible - up to 100 spam messages a day (all of which gmail's spam filters correctly identify as spam). I would like to be able to use my iCloud address on my iPhone but at the moment that is not possible - too much spam leads to unwanted mail all hours of the day and night.

I ran across this recently... forward iCloud mail spam as an attachment to spam@me.com and Apple will use this info to update their filtering.

bhav123

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Hey everyone,

The title says it all?

I am very careful about how and where I use my email address. But I am in need of an answer.

The only thing I can find is "rules" in preferences. I used that but I want to go further by flat out ip banning or even blocking the two email addresses that recently contacted me.

thank you for reading this.

So try to use secure email service provider. As per my experience gmail and email.biz are the good and secure email service providers. Try to choose any one for using secure and Spam email filter.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Mark them as spam as you get them. Over time Mail learns to recognize those as spam and will deal with them as you have told it to in the spam settings.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
All my other paid and free email accounts have direct settings at the provider level to block an address from ever reaching the inbox, which makes the iCloud email seem a bit lackluster. I guess iPhone took 6 years to be able to block numbers, maybe give iCloud a few more years.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
All my other paid and free email accounts have direct settings at the provider level to block an address from ever reaching the inbox, which makes the iCloud email seem a bit lackluster. I guess iPhone took 6 years to be able to block numbers, maybe give iCloud a few more years.

You can set this up with a rule at iCloud.com. Just logon to your Mail account at http://icloud.com then click the little settings cog at the lower led then setup a rule like this.

ewfODyB.png

Not as nice as a full block at the server, but it would keep the messages out if your inbox.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
You can set this up with a rule at iCloud.com. Just logon to your Mail account at http://icloud.com then click the little settings cog at the lower led then setup a rule like this.

Not as nice as a full block at the server, but it would keep the messages out if your inbox.

Or just wait. iCloud mail blocks some spam/junk from ever reaching your inbox or junk folder. Just vanishes. While I haven't had too many issues with this, occasionally it blocks wanted mail. I typically use iCloud as my primary, but give out my Gmail to the world, which I forwarded to iCloud. This gives me native push, standard IMAP, while keeping a copy in Gmail for access later, in case it doesn't ever get to my iCloud account. It's saved me a few times.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe it has the same effect if you drag them to the Junk folder on the iCloud website. You must do this using the iCloud web portal, not in a mail app on your computer.

Works for me…. :)

Yes it does.. just a pain in rear to login to the web site to do this, so always just do the forward routine.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Yes it does.. just a pain in rear to login to the web site to do this, so always just do the forward routine.

For some, that's ideal. I'm usually logged into the site during the day, so for me, it's nice and easy. They should make this easier, and I've given feedback about this, in addition to quit auto erasing messages before they reach my junk folder. Throw them all in there and let me pick through them - or at least make it an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.