Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone5 Verizon or AT&T?

• Total voters

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
With the rollout of the iPhone 5 there are a lot of people who are undecided wether to stay with ATT or switch to Verizon. Please feel free to voice your opinions on which carrier is more reliable given the specs of the new iPhone.

(I'm aware that everyone's situation/area is different for coverage but this will give people a solid feel on who they think is better overall)

Edit: Sorry Sprint is not included because verizon and att are more comparable price wise.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
With the rollout of the iPhone 5 there are a lot of people who are undecided wether to stay with ATT or switch to Verizon. Please feel free to voice your opinions on which carrier is more reliable given the specs of the new iPhone.

(I'm aware that everyone's situation/area is different for coverage but this will give people a solid feel on who they think is better overall)

Staying with AT&T because it works better for me. I would highly encourage others to use the same logic in their decision-making.

STC1709

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
vz obviously has the better lte coverage, but att has better pricing and customers aren't forced to buy the phone outright to keep unlimited

there is so many pros and cons for both

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia

Sticking with AT&T. My iPhone 4S holds very well against VZW LTE devices.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
In my area, both AT&T and Verizon have excellent coverage on paper. I've heard though that Verizon is slightly better. AT&T would be cheaper for me but I am definitely leaning towards Verizon.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I'm switching from AT&T to Verizon. It's bittersweet, because I'm very satisfied with AT&T and ultimately I think they have marginally better coverage where I live. However, Verizon has had LTE here since the spring, and I don't even know if AT&T has enough spectrum here to provision LTE at the moment, let alone actually deploy it. But really, the deal breaker for AT&T is that I can't unlock my phone for use abroad. I'm not interested in buying an unsubsidized phone, only to pay the same monthly rate, just so I can drop in a SIM for the few times I'll fly overseas or head up to Canada during my contract term. Nor am I interested in keeping my old iPhone 4 around - I'd rather sell it and get the money.

I'd even agree to pay AT&T a $500 or $600 ETF if I ever canceled my line or data plan if they let me unlock the device for use abroad. I understand their concerns about unlocking, but they can put policies in place to prevent people from just getting the phone and immediately paying the ETF and moving to another carrier after unlock. Their lack of these policies is making them loose a customer.

Philthy84

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I would like to try another carrier but I have unlimited data still through AT&T and a 24% fan discount through my company.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Att for me. Just read Verizon making people pay full price if they want to keep their unlimited data plans. I don't know why carriers do this to iPhone users. AT&T makes you switch plans if you want to use FaceTime over their network.... Hopefully theres a jailbreak soon for the iPhone 5.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Att for me. Just read Verizon making people pay full price if they want to keep their unlimited data plans. I don't know why carriers do this to iPhone users. AT&T makes you switch plans if you want to use FaceTime over their network.... Hopefully theres a jailbreak soon for the iPhone 5.

Both AT&T and Verizon have the same result but different means of trying to get you off of unlimited data.

brettizzle

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
Michigan!
This thread is for people that are planning on buying the iPhone 5 and which carrier they prefer. Please feel free to voice a useful opinion.

Thank you, I don't understand why people take the time to go into a thread to just complain about it.

Verizon has been the best carrier for me in terms of support and service, and there is LTE in a lot of places now which will give you greater speeds than AT&T's HSPA+, since AT&T doesn't have very much LTE coverage.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
This thread is for people that are planning on buying the iPhone 5 and which carrier they prefer. Please feel free to voice a useful opinion.

I do feel free to do as I please, thanks for the permission though.

Thank you, I don't understand why people take the time to go into a thread to just complain about it....

I "took the time" to come & complain b/c this forum has been inundated by a plethora of threads almost identical to this one as of late.

Want to know what I "don't understand?" Why people like you guys are posting because you either don't know how to read threads & use the search function or are simply too lazy to do so.

[/rant] ;)

:apple::apple::apple:

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I do feel free to do as I please, thanks for the permission though.

I "took the time" to come & complain b/c this forum has been inundated by a plethora of threads almost identical to this one as of late.

Want to know what I "don't understand?" Why people like you guys are posting because you either don't know how to read threads & use the search function or are simply too lazy to do so.

[/rant] ;)

:apple::apple::apple:

I searched the forums, and like I said before this thread is specific to the iphone 5 and what carrier you prefer. Don't see any threads within the last few pages that specify like this. Go crawl back under you're bridge and study those vocab words.

IlliniGuy76

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
If you're using this phone for texting, music, videos you moving from an unlimited plan to a limited plan shouldn't matter.

Right now I have unlimited everything on AT&T and pay $100. If I switch to Verizon and pay for 2GB of data usage (which should be FAR more then enough) you'd be paying slightly more for better service in most areas of the country.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
If you're using this phone for texting, music, videos you moving from an unlimited plan to a limited plan shouldn't matter.

Right now I have unlimited everything on AT&T and pay $100. If I switch to Verizon and pay for 2GB of data usage (which should be FAR more then enough) you'd be paying slightly more for better service in most areas of the country.

I agree with you. The two people w/ smartphones on my family plan had to move to a new city and we are going to try and get att to knock our last couple months of contract down. We've been with them for a long time so hopefully this isn't a big deal, their service is worst here.

IlliniGuy76

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I agree with you. The two people w/ smartphones on my family plan had to move to a new city and we are going to try and get att to knock our last couple months of contract down. We've been with them for a long time so hopefully this isn't a big deal, their service is worst here.

People just get concerned without the word "unlimited". If you use more than 2 GB of data you are spending far too much time on your phone anyways - live a littl! :D

sakurama

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2007
Help me here. AT&T is limiting FaceTime to only those on family plans. Their LTE coverage is not available here in Portland yet so I'm considering switching my wife and I to Verizon and to a family plane even though I'd lose my unlimited contract. I don't use enough data to justify it - maybe together we use 2-3gb if you include an iPad.

If we switch to Verizon what happens if we want to FaceTime with someone on AT&T that isn't on wifi or on a family plan? FaceTime is really important now that we have kids so it's a consideration and frankly I'm tired of AT&T.

Also, will Verizon be able to do voice and data now at the same time on the new phone?

Anyone?

G

Last edited:

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
I am STILL undecided, so many variables!

Already have ATT with unlimited data
HOWEVER unlimited ATT throttles me at 3GB!
BUT LTE plans are capped at 5GB
YET No AT&T LTE in my area yet and no set date/time period
BUT Verizon has LTE in my area
HOWEVER Verizon cannot talk and use data at same time
BUT Verizon will allow me to use facetime over cellular
ALSO People seem to be getting retention deals with AT&T, potentially substantially cheaper

unethical

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Tough decision. I have AT&T as my primary iPhone 4 account, but a $25/month Verizon account which I don't use much, but I've kept to upgrade to iPhone 5 for a while now.

I get the upgrade price on both carriers since I've had no upgrades for 2+ years.

I have unlimited AT&T data and would love to keep it. Is that possible?

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Been on AT&T forever, but moved out of state last yr and the coverage is not great here, so going with Verizon.

Really think the answer to this question highly depends on where you live as I don't really feel like one is better than the other overall..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.