Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
8GB storage space, with downloadable games... o_O

That is silly, I wonder if (like every other Nintendo system since 2006) it'll support external hard drives? 8-32gb internal flash storage is fine for games I'm going to play a lot of and thus want faster load speeds.

I really liked what I played at E3. Yep, it's all evolutionary - Mario was the same and great fun, Rayman Legends is just the next Origins. And you can bet your bottom dollar the next Sony and MS machines will ship with their usual lot too (Wipeout, eventual Halo, Final Fantasy, etc etc).

I'll be getting one on launch for those games, and for future multi-platform games so they're looking their best on my setup.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
That is silly, I wonder if (like every other Nintendo system since 2006) it'll support external hard drives?
It will.
8-32gb internal flash storage is fine for games I'm going to play a lot of and thus want faster load speeds.
If the discs are 25GB, it wont fit many games though... Even assuming they only install certain assets.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
UK launch details will be announced at 15:00, so I'll make a more educated decision after that, depending on what information they do actually make available.

I reckon that it'll be £279.99 over here, and the separate Upads will probably be a shocking £149.99.

I'm really interested in the TV control and media player side of the system, so hopefully they'll release more information regarding that. I'm also hoping that after Nintendo's official announcement all the 3rd parties will start to reveal their stuff.

:apple:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Ugh, the WiiU is rapidly going from a "Hmm, maybe at some point" to an absolute no buy, even without UK pricing as I write this.

1) The lure of 1080p in every title isn't happening. 720p/30 seems to be what we can expect, which is only a tiny fraction better than the PS3/360. Graphics aren't everything, but when the next generation is round the corner it counts for something. I want 1080p/30, or even 1080p/60.

2) Looks like Nintendo's typically awful approach to online services. Okay, I can post to FB/Twitter, but actual cross-game chat, friends systems and so forth? It's going to be another mess.

3) 8 or 32GB storage? Are you serious? It won't even be a proper SSD, but more akin to a big SD card in terms of speed. I have a 320GB drive in my living room PS3 and it's pretty full. I don't care that it supports external drives, I don't want to have to buy another drive and have it sitting in front of my TV. It should be integrated - even if it's a HD slot I have to populate myself (not an SD card slot either).

4) Games. I am fed up to the back teeth of Nintendo rehashing the same IP over and over and over and over. Zelda's last outing was a disappointment, entirely due to the controls and filler quests, and I have a sneaking suspicion the next will be the same. No, I don't want another Super Mario Bros game either, or another copy of Mass Effect 3 from EA.

EDIT: November 30th UK launch

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well that's gone and done it.

ZombiU, Rayman, an expanded Mario (challenges=yes!), Monster Hunter 3, Lego City Undercover, that Nanostray sequel all look great. Now, which site gets my preorder...

Last edited:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Probably, I recently got around to playing new super mario bros wii and have been doing it co-op, seems silly but it's been a long long time since I've enjoyed playing a game as much as that, thus I'm kinda looking forward to the U version.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
WiiU information comming out now.

From Engadget:

From ZeldaInformer.com:

8GB storage space, with downloadable games... o_O

International prices are out later today.

The saddest information is the genuine lack of first party launch titles, especially when you consider that they now think anything in the first 3-4 months is a 'launch window'....

Meaning were not going to see Pikmin 3 till at least Spring next year..... By which time everyone will be starting to get psyched for E3 2013 and the inevitable Xbox 720 and PS4 announcments.

I have a sad feeling about this one.... (I'm still buying it, but would not surprise me if this is another N64)....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Pikmin 3 is released in the 'launch window'.

Thank goodness...

Ok am I right in thinking if I want a premium model I have to go black ???

Thanks for the choice Nintendo :rolleyes:

----------

Well that's gone and done it.

ZombiU, Rayman, an expanded Mario (challenges=yes!), Monster Hunter 3, Lego City Undercover, that Nanostray sequel all look great. Now, which site gets my preorder...

Yeah zombi U and Rayman, alongside Mario are my launch games... (and lego city undercover though I'm too ashmaed to say I adore all the lego games so far)....

What are the Euro prices ? I've seen UK & USA but not europe ?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What are the Euro prices ? I've seen UK & USA but not europe ?

Shops can charge what they want here.

But Amazon listed them as 199/249 earlier. GameStation was a bit more. They're probably all waiting for one shop to commit to a price.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Sigh... Bayonetta 2 is now a Wii-U exclusive. I'm worried that what happened to Fatal Frame after becoming a Wii exclusive will happen to Bayonetta.

I'm not terribly excited over the Wii-U's launch titles, and like others have said, Zelda is becoming more and more stale, which saddens me to no end. Everything else that's really been pushed, is stuff I already have on my PS3 (Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, etc).

Hell, my Wii has been relegated for just Monster Hunter Trii and Virtual Console, and that's my other worry. Will I be able to transfer my VC purchases from my Wii to a Wii-U, still not finding a definitive answer on that one.

Also, prices are $299 for the basic, $349 for the deluxe.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Will I be able to transfer my VC purchases from my Wii to a Wii-U, still not finding a definitive answer on that one.

This is what I'm worried about too. This current console generation was the first one to go big with digital distribution but what happens when you update to the newest console? At least Microsoft and Sony tie everything to your XboxLive/Playstation account, just have to hope they allow them to be played on their newest systems. Nintendo just ties it all to the hardware which makes transferring it a pain.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is what I'm worried about too. This current console generation was the first one to go big with digital distribution but what happens when you update to the newest console? At least Microsoft and Sony tie everything to your XboxLive/Playstation account, just have to hope they allow them to be played on their newest systems. Nintendo just ties it all to the hardware which makes transferring it a pain.

Probably not....

Purchases tied to hardware, not account. Terrible concept from the start. When I got a black wii there was no way I could transfer purchases from my older one to it, so basically I lost them. Since then I refuse to buy anything from wii marketplace.

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Probably not....

Purchases tied to hardware, not account. Terrible concept from the start. When I got a black wii there was no way I could transfer purchases from my older one to it, so basically I lost them. Since then I refuse to buy anything from wii marketplace.

im pretty sure i heard that vc purchases are transferrable.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
im pretty sure i heard that vc purchases are transferrable.

Sadly they were not when I replaced my Wii. Signed into my nintendo account and was not able to re-download them onto the new Wii. Rang Nintendo customer support who were the ones who informed me they were tied to my old Wil and not transferable at that stage. Now they may have added a transfer tool path like with the 3DS to 3DSXL - but that wasn't available for me at the time anyway.

I couldn't even avail of the 3DS to 3DSXL transfer either as I needed to trade in my 3DS to get the 3DSXL and the gamestop's here coudn't do the transfer in store, so I lost my GBA reward games etc... too

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
That's why I haven't wasted money on Nintendo's online stores. Other reason being of course the ridiculous Virtual Console pricing! If Sony is selling hundreds of PS1 titles for 4,95 or less, why should I pay 800 Wii Points for a crappy PAL port of a SNES game. If VC games cost 100 points a piece I would actually use the service. And then purchases are locked to the device - not to your account unlike every other online store EVER.

We still don't know how Wii U:s online system works, so it could be they will finally implement a "gamertag"-sort of login so that you can download back your purchases should you replace your Wii U. But this is Nintendo we're talking about, inventor of friend codes etc... :(

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wii U does not impress.

It has no worthy games. Games are what matters. Super Mario Bros is stale, it looks virtually the same as the one for the Wii which was virtually the same as the one for the DS with the same cutsey-cutsey music.

I fear that the WiiU will just end up getting all of the hand-me-downs from the other consoles in addition to bland family games meanwhile the PS3/360 will get the top realses because of fears of the Wii Us market audience.

Zelda, as much as I enjoy it, is becoming stale. Mario Kart, although fun, is just silly now - too many silly power-ups. I can only hope they make an uber F-Zero and keep the master difficultly. Mario Galaxy was epic so there is still hope. Never got interested in Metroid: Other M. Give me a metroid game as detailed as the prime series then I may open my wallet.

I simply see the Wii Us new features going to waste in general.

I think I will be waiting a long time before purchasing this.

Well, it's the games, not the system.

N64 didn't impress - carts instead of discs, yet people loved the Mario and Zelda games.

NGC didn't impress - small discs instead of regular sized discs - yet people loved many of the games.

Wii didn't impress - yet many casual gamers got off the couch for the controls.

Nintendo is trying to innovate a bit more with the screened controller. What will make it succeed is the Nintendo games.

There are a few games I'm interested in - love the fact you can just use the Wii controls and use the Wii U Pad for extra content.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Well, it's the games, not the system.

Yep

And they learned from the 3DS launch. This time they actually got games people want to play (most people at least).

And they're pretty smart for introducing the tablet controller. Just like motion control, it's disruptive tech, the PC market doesn't have it, competitors can't adopt it easily, so if it takes off they'll be on top for awhile.

Rychy

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Still fairly sure I won't pick one up around launch, but I'm excited for it. I'd go for the premium package. I wish 32GB was standard though. I'm really just hoping for the return of some of my favorite series like Star Fox and F-Zero with some decently nice graphics and online modes. I like that Platinum Games seems to be strongly supporting it as well.

Last edited:

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yep

And they learned from the 3DS launch. This time they actually got games people want to play (most people at least).

And they're pretty smart for introducing the tablet controller. Just like motion control, it's disruptive tech, the PC market doesn't have it, competitors can't adopt it easily, so if it takes off they'll be on top for awhile.

Unno, the stuff they're developing for the Vita/PS3 combo is more interesting, since I'll be able to take the controller with me anywhere I go. I'll still probably get one, but my problem is just that Nintendo's first party stuff is getting amazingly dull.

Still fairly sure I won't pick one up around launch, but I'm excited for it. I'd go for the premium package. I wish 32GB was standard though. I'm really just hoping for the return of some of my favorite series like Star Fox and F-Zero with some decent online modes. I like that Platinum Games seems to be strongly supporting it as well.

I'm happy that Platinum is making Bayonetta 2, but like I said before. Nintendo exclusivity killed Fatal Frame, and I worry that it'll kill Bayonetta.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I pre-ordered wii u premium pack with zombi U pack

And following games...

Tekken Tag 2
SuperMario Bros U
Rayman Legends
The wonderful 101
Lego City Undercover
Assasins Creed 3

€703 gone :eek:

----------

I'm happy that Platinum is making Bayonetta 2, but like I said before. Nintendo exclusivity killed Fatal Frame, and I worry that it'll kill Bayonetta.

Chances are if it doesn't sell as well as they hope it will suddenly become a 'timed exclusve' and likely appear on other consoles 6 months later as Game of Year edition....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.