Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by iPhoneinCanada.ca soon after pre-orders for the iPhone 5 went live earlier today, Apple's online store in several countries appeared to be noting that the company's Lightning to 30-pin Adapter would be included with customers' orders free of charge. The disclosure came in the form of an option to add an "additional" adapter as an accessory.
Your iPhone includes a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter for connecting 30-pin accessories to devices featuring the Lightning connector. Purchase this additional adapter to have a second adapter for your home or office.
lightning_30_pin_included.jpg

Customers were only presented with the option to add the cable-equipped adapter and not the direct-plug adapter, and Apple's "What's in the box" documentation did not list the adapter as included, leading to considerable customer confusion.

After initially reporting on the inclusion of the free adapter, The Next Web followed up by asking Apple's online sales representatives about the issue. According to sales staff, the listing was an error in the Apple online store, and the adapter is not being included standard with iPhone orders. Apple has also removed listing from its store pages and no longer mentions the adapter's inclusion.

Apple's adapters are available for standalone purchase at $29 for the direct-plug version and $39 for the cable version, but they will not ship until next month.

Update 12:26 PM: Apple has issued a statement to The Loop confirming that the adapter is not included with the iPhone 5.
"The Lightning to 30-pin adapter does not come in the box with iPhone 5. It is sold separately," Apple spokesperson, Natalie Harrison, told The Loop. "However, the Lightning to USB cable does come with iPhone 5 for connection to AC chargers and other devices."

Article Link: Confusion Over Free Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter with iPhone 5 as Apple Errs in Online Store [Updated]

jasonxneo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
Ozone Park, New York
I pre ordered the iphone 5 at about 3:30 am EST, I got the confirmation page saying my order went through. However i did not get an e-mail from AT&T. My credit card has a $1.00 pending transaction from AT&T so I am kind of sure it did go through, however i am not positive

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
As a way of saying sorry, they should send the iPhone 5 to those people that already ordered on Thursday.:cool:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I pre ordered the iphone 5 at about 3:30 am EST, I got the confirmation page saying my order went through. However i did not get an e-mail from AT&T. My credit card has a $1.00 pending transaction from AT&T so I am kind of sure it did go through, however i am not positive

Come again??

Zyphlon

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Manchester, UK
They should have included one as a goodwill gesture.

But then again hardly gonna entice people to adopt a new standard if they have a free adapter to use old gear.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC

Sounds good to me.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
One adapter needs to be included. I understand this a shift every company usually takes, but $30 is quite pricey.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Damnit Apple, a free adaptor would have scored you a lot of points.

Of course that doesn't matter, as we are all buying the stupid phone anyway!

We are such lousy consumers.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Aww. I was hoping they'd give us a free one because of this. Kind of gives away that they were most likely planning to include it at one point then forgot to change this text when they decided to get as much money as possible.

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If it was "in there by accident" then obviously Apple intended to provided a free adapter at some point.

Must have backtracked :mad:

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Apple should honor the mistake for those who noticed it early. Several years ago when Perfect Dark came out for N64, it was advertised at Best Buy for $20. Clearly it was a mistake but they gave it to me for that price. Then 9/11 happened and everything sucked after that.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Shipping in Oct?

It's bad enough that almost everybody that gets a new phone/ipod with 'lightning' will probably need an adapter, and we need to pay for it, but not having 'enough' available at launch time makes no sense.

You would have thought that these would have been in the manufacturing pipeline for weeks. Fortunately I don't travel that much so until these are available (or a cheap knockoff is), I won't have to worry carrying my cable around with me. Feel bad for others that are on the road and need to move the cable from one charger/accessory to another.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
it really should include an adapter... but of course they wanna maximize sales for the holiday season

I have no accessories. I'd like to have (and purchased) an additional cable so I can charge at home or work, but I don't want things included in the box (in other words, things I'm PAYING for) that not everyone needs.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
What's up with MacRumors today? It's like 40 mini news cut into tiny pieces of glitter and served every minute up to the front page.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Sorry, but count me as one who feels shafted by this as being greed; as we ALL need at least one of these to conform to our current apple ecosystem.

Nobody who owns a iOS device (i bet), will be able to survive without this adapter that is Overpriced. 9.99, ok- 30- pisses me off.

Celf

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
30 pounds is appr. 48 dollar....is appr. 10% of the price of an unlocked iPhone 4 .....
......FOR AN ADAPTER!!!!!!

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Judas what a bunch of freakin cheapskates! I bet this thing costs Apple a penny for 5. I'm getting really sick of Apple nickle and dime'ing us for every little thing.

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
I have no accessories. I'd like to have (and purchased) an additional cable so I can charge at home or work, but I don't want things included in the box (in other words, things I'm PAYING for) that not everyone needs.

There's a large markup on everything (not just apple products). It's unlikely including one would have added to the retail price, it just would have taken some money away from apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.