Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
It's sad to see that the adapter won't be included with the iPhone 5. It would make sense for them to include the adapter in the box of the iPhone 5 and make it an optional purchase for an iPod Nano or iPod Touch. Just like how the Power Adapter comes with the iPhone and not with the iPod Nano or iPod Touch. I mean we're not paying $49 for a nano, these phones are costing us a few hundred bucks, not to count the wireless plans that come with them.

If the adapter was only $9.99 I don't think this would be as big of an issue. But $29 for a plastic adapter and $39 for the same thing with a bit of a cable attached is quite expensive. I was hoping that since Apple's MagSafe 2 adapter was only $9.99 that they had finally decided to stop with suck expensive adapters. Then again the Magsafe Adapter is a tiny piece of metal with five contacts, and this adapter is a tad more complex.

Either way I'd love it if it were cheaper. Let's hope 3rd party manufactures are already working on their own version of Lightning cables & adapters. They'll probably be cheaper too. I can't wait for Monoprice.com to make some. ;)

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
One adapter should have been included in addition to the new cable.

I agree. I think if there is enough of an uproar (original iPhone price drop or the bumper/antenna deal) there will be some free adapters being shipped out.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
This tells me they were at one point going to include one, and then at some point changed their stance. Really a shame as for at least the first release with the new port they should have included an adapter.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I'm glad I have nothing that needs this adapter. My old BMW would have needed one as that 30 pin was directly wired to the iPod unit in the car. My new car does stereo bluetooth and has usb ports for direct sync/charging. I only need one extra of the new usb cables. $30 is a joke for this thing.

grapejoos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
The listing was an "error"? Oh ho ho. If that's true (and the image isn't photoshopped or something), that explanation means that someone at Apple explicitly considered including one of these adapters and then actively changed their mind and decided not to do this for their carryover customers, yet it got posted to the online store anyway. As an "error."

I wish I could say that it will impact the preorder I placed last night, but WTF, Apple? How cheap do you have to be?

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Haha at everyone saying Apple is greedy. Apple is a business, if not including the adapter leads to loss of sales then Apple will pay the consequences. But Apple is likely better off having people pay for the adapter, why? because people will, and people will still buy the iPhone anyway. You make it out like people have no choice. Apple isn't forcing anyone to buy anything. Look in the mirror.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
False advertising!?

Umm isn't this false advertising then?

If it said one is included with the iPhone when people were pre-ordering iPhones then those people should get that adapter in the box.

jmilone

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
So we are not getting an adapter cause I didn't see anything when I ordered it I did it from the Apple store app and they didn't show anything in there about this. Or applecare WTF apple!

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
If it was "in there by accident" then obviously Apple intended to provided a free adapter at some point.

Must have backtracked :mad:

This exactly. It sucks that Apple was actually thinking of doing this and then decided to err on the side of... nope! $30 please!

Although after reading a bit last night, the higher price is at least somewhat justified by the fact that each of the adapters contains a DAC (digital to analog converter) because Lightning is digital only and the 30 pin connector does analog audio out.

Monoprice is as cheap as you can get for cables and adapters (but still good quality!), and their larger box is $22. Granted, they offer more connections, but I'd imagine it's more difficult to make such a small DAC.

I still think they should offer them for a limited time at a discount or something similar. They don't need to make massive margins on this item.

jpdunford

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
Sorry if I have been wrongly confused by this, but in my countriy's Apple store (United Kingdom)

Lightning cable: ≈ 24.37 US dollars

Lightning adapter: ≈ 40.62 US dollars

Why would someone buy the adapter to use their old cable, when they can get a whole new cable for less?

Again sorry if I have been mistaken please don't "flame" me :)
(I know people on the internet like to do this when someone makes a trivial mistake). :p

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The adapter should most certainly be included--$30 for a stupid dongle is insane (and $40 for their USB cable is even more insane). I think Apple is making a real jackass move by switching connectors just to nickel-and-dime people on dongles. Apple just gave the entire accessory market for iOS devices the finger and rendered all of the existing docks, speaker systems, chargers/batteries, etc... useless for iPhone 5 buyers.

Does the new port/cable have some sort of Apple proprietary crypto-module in it that prevents the use of 3rd party dongles and accessories?

bluesoverdrive

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
expensive as expected

People are spending lots on the new phone, and yet, "walking" out of the store with a bad feeling because of a stupid adapter. :apple:

iJays

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
£30 is daylight robbery.
But don't worry apple, the fanatics will take it up the arse :apple:

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I agree. I think if there is enough of an uproar (original iPhone price drop or the bumper/antenna deal) there will be some free adapters being shipped out.

Right there with you. There should be one in the $700 - $900 phone's box and Apple should be selling these adapters at break-even (not 200% markup - WAG there) considering the impact and disruption of the change. It would be a drop in the bucket for them and not affect their profits.

Apple can and should do better than this...

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Sorry if I have been wrongly confused by this, but in my countriy's Apple store (United Kingdom)

Lightning cable: ≈ 24.37 US dollars

Lightning adapter: ≈ 40.62 US dollars

Why would someone buy the adapter to use their old cable, when they can get a whole new cable for less?

Again sorry if I have been mistaken please don't "flame" me :)
(I know people on the internet like to do this when someone makes a trivial mistake). :p

Think of something like an iPod alarm clock that has a 30-pin old dock connection built into it. That means you'd need to find a way to connect the old dock connection to your new phone. A new cable won't solve this since one end of it is lightning and the other end is regular USB.
You're right that it would be silly to buy these adapters if it's just to charge or connect to your computer. This is for all the extra gadgets out there that have a built-in dock.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Adapter gate! I'd bet they be sending out adapters like they did with the bumpers.

Lol I was just thinking Adaptergate or Lightninggate.

Every release of an iPhone there is something to fix. It's like they do this on purpose and then send out free adapters to show how great their customer service is and how much they care about us. Can't wait for my free plug!

1st is - $100pricereductionsosorrygate
2nd - Antennagate/bumpergate
3rd - Adaptergate.

I'm certain there will be some iPod touch 5th gen mishap and Loopgate is next.

jpdunford

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
Think of something like an iPod alarm clock that has a 30-pin old dock connection built into it. That means you'd need to find a way to connect the old dock connection to your new phone. A new cable won't solve this since one end is lightning and the other is USB (and not the old connector).

Oh of course, I completely forgot the people with accessories lol.

That makes perfect sense now thanks :).

HardHatMac9

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
I can certainly understand why they're not including it, but I'm struggling to comprehend why it's $29 dollars. Something around $9.99, as another poster suggested, would make a lot more sense.

I'm very curious to see what the component cost will be proven to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.