Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiaulou

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
so to do this loophole, can this be done online at vzw.com tonight or do we have to call in?

brandnewrock22

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
Well the rep I just talked to said I can indeed just add lines to my existing family share plan for 9.99 a month. Won't work on the website but he will call me back at 9am tomorrow to do it :D

Yep! This works! You can definitely do everything on the website or on Apple.com--just remember to do everything on the dummy line. I activated my dummy line on Monday (just in case the preorders started right away) and had no issues getting everything to pull up on Apple's website.

I just ordered my iPhone, and chose the 2GB/$30 for now. I'll temporarily activate it on launch day, then go back to my dumb phone and remove the data. Once I've done this, I'm free to activate the iPhone on my personal line.

Keep in mind that your plan/pricing/upgrade date are all unaffected until you go through the activation process after receiving it. Good luck!

black743

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Huntington, WV
Yup I just did the same. I hope we can just call in and swap the phone without having to drive to a store. Not sure if they can flash a sim or not.

But yea, same as you, I had to pick a data plan since it's a dumb phone line and I'll just remove that plan once I get it flipped over.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
OkaY, iPhone preordered. Do any of you know if the process of reactivating the dumb phone, canceling data plan, and activating the iPhone 5 on my line can be done on the Verizon website on Friday? I used my dad's line and I know he won't be eager to have to tread down to a store. :p

niteriderxp

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Also ordered my iPhone 5 on a basic phone line and going to switch it to unlimited data line.

I called CS, talked to a nice lady which put a note on my account with her name and badge number. She also said good morning, which I found funny cause it was midnight here.

She mentioned that I should call in when I activate the phone instead of letting the phone activate itself.

I guess I'll see if all of this goes smoothly, if not I'll raise hell.
Note on the account and raising hell has worked in the past so I am not worried. ;)

YoMC

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Same upgrade transfer question

If he would eventually upgrade he'd get a smart phone...

I have the same question. If I transfer my upgrade to a dumbphone line, and down the road they want to upgrade that line to a smartphone, will I lose the unlimited data on MY line? Or is Verizon's system not able to pick that up?

botorious

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
has anyone been able to add a line by calling in for 9.99? I need one more line on my account but from what I read does that turn all my unlimited data to the share plan?

halfmonkey

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
Does anybody knowif this loophole can be done in store or does it have to be done over the internet?

Vistination

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
So I can order the iPhone 5 on my dads dumphone line then activate it on my unlimited line? And do I have to call Verizon to activate the phone on my line? Also wouldn't Verizon start heavily throttling us unlimited iPhone 5 users?

paule350

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
I pre ordered with my dummy line but will be just selling it to my friend and will be keeping my 4s.. what do I need to do to make this happen?

f4d3

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Can someone confirm what I did was correct?

My iPhone line has unlimited data and it had a upgrade available. I transferred it to my little brother's dumb phone line. I bought a iPhone 5 with it. I'll activate it once it arrives and then reactivate his dumb phone, which triggers the data cancellation because it's not a smartphone. I go to verizon to activate the iPhone 5 on my line that has the unlimited data. Sounds right guys?

Dingo23

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Can someone confirm what I did was correct?

My iPhone line has unlimited data and it had a upgrade available. I transferred it to my little brother's dumb phone line. I bought a iPhone 5 with it. I'll activate it once it arrives and then reactivate his dumb phone, which triggers the data cancellation because it's not a smartphone. I go to verizon to activate the iPhone 5 on my line that has the unlimited data. Sounds right guys?

Nope, you've removed your unlimited data by renewing the contract of the unlimited line. Even though you transfered the upgrade to the dumb phone, the upgrade is still associated with the smart phone and the smart phone contract is the one that is renewed. For what you described to work, the iphone 5 would have to be ordered on the dumb phone upgrade (not a transfered upgrade) and then transfered to the number with the unlimited data.

iphonequestionz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Question

Thanks to the OP for this method!

Would somebody mind helping me out?

Here's the plan I currently have - just 1 line iPhone4 for myself:

NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT 900
Plan Includes:
$79.99 Monthly Access Charge
900 Monthly Allowance Minutes
Unlimited Data $29.99/mo

I have an upgrade coming my way in 3 weeks.

Is this method still possible for me, and if so, how? I'm really not trying to pay full price for the 5:apple:.

Thanks!

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Can anyone give any more information in regards to the steps needed to be taken once the iPhone 5 arrives? Specifically in regards to the LTE sim card that I assume will come 'pre-linked' with the line that was used to upgrade? Will 'transferring' the iPhone to my line (line B) be an easy process? Will canceling the data plan on Line A be difficult? Any information is greatly appreciated.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Thanks to the OP for this method!

Would somebody mind helping me out?

Here's the plan I currently have - just 1 line iPhone4 for myself:

NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT 900
Plan Includes:
$79.99 Monthly Access Charge
900 Monthly Allowance Minutes
Unlimited Data $29.99/mo

I have an upgrade coming my way in 3 weeks.

Is this method still possible for me, and if so, how? I'm really not trying to pay full price for the 5:apple:.

Thanks!

Based on what i have read from this thread, you add a line to your plan. The added line will need a data package (just pick the cheapest one they have) use the added line to order the iPH5 at the subsidized price. When the iPH5 arrives take it and a "dumb phone" to a Verizon store and have the new iPH5 moved to your unlimited plan. Then have the "dumb" phone activated on the line you added. Then you can remove the data plan on the “dumb” phone. You will be left with the cost of the added line that the “dumb” phone is now on.

----------

I am just going to share my thoughts.

I find it absolutely inane to consider getting this on a plan. You'd end up paying over a grand and a half for a phone that is really around $600-$700. If it's the breaking up of payments isn't it better to just put it on a credit card, but pay full price and pay it off?

How is doing it this way make the phone cost $1,500.

I adding it up to be about $550, with about 240 of that being spread over two years.

iphonequestionz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Based on what i have read from this thread, you add a line to your plan. The added line will need a data package (just pick the cheapest one they have) use the added line to order the iPH5 at the subsidized price. When the iPH5 arrives take it and a "dumb phone" to a Verizon store and have the new iPH5 moved to your unlimited plan. Then have the "dumb" phone activated on the line you added. Then you can remove the data plan on the “dumb” phone. You will be left with the cost of the added line that the “dumb” phone is now on.

----------

How is doing it this way make the phone cost $1,500.

I adding it up to be about $550, with about 240 of that being spread over two years.

Thanks for the response.

So when all is said and done, I will be left with 2 lines, 1 with the subsidized iphone on my current plan, and then 1 "dumb" phone with no data. And then what? Continue to pay 2 plans? Or cancel the "dumb" phone line? Does this actually save me money?

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
OkaY, iPhone preordered. Do any of you know if the process of reactivating the dumb phone, canceling data plan, and activating the iPhone 5 on my line can be done on the Verizon website on Friday? I used my dad's line and I know he won't be eager to have to tread down to a store. :p

You can do it all over the phone. There are tools on the website but on launch day I'd use the phone.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Thanks for the response.

So when all is said and done, I will be left with 2 lines, 1 with the subsidized iphone on my current plan, and then 1 "dumb" phone with no data. And then what? Continue to pay 2 plans? Or cancel the "dumb" phone line? Does this actually save me money?

Depends on what that extra line ends up costing you per month. If you can get the 9.99 a month price then it saves about $200 bucks.

It also spreads out about $250 of the cost over two years.

All in all it may not be worth the trouble for everyone.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Can anyone give any more information in regards to the steps needed to be taken once the iPhone 5 arrives? Specifically in regards to the LTE sim card that I assume will come 'pre-linked' with the line that was used to upgrade? Will 'transferring' the iPhone to my line (line B) be an easy process? Will canceling the data plan on Line A be difficult? Any information is greatly appreciated.

This is the confusing part as sims are now involved. I am guessing you will need a fresh nano sim to complete the switch. I don't think sims can be reprogramed for a different number. I suspect canceling the data part is the easy step.

For me its even more difficult. I have a share everything plan with an ipad and a 4s. The ipad line is eligible for an upgrade as it has no contract. I preordered with that line. I assuming the new iPhones sim will be programed for the iPad line. After it activates, i will have to go into a store to complete the switch by getting a new nano sim for the phone and micro for the ipad.

Newah

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Hey everyone, I need some help!

My dad has a Droid Incredible 2, and Mom, my brother, and I have dumb phones. He has unlimited Data but doesn't use more than 2GB a month. We all have upgrades available except my brother. So it looks like this:

-----We all share 1400 Voice minutes, Unlimited Texting-----
Dad - Droid Inc 2 w/ Unl. Data (upgradeable)
Me - Samsung Intensity I (dumbphone, upgradeable)
Mom - LG Cosmos I (dumbphone, upgradeable)
Brother - Old LG Flip phone (dumbphone, not upgradeable)

Basically, I want to get an iPhone 5, and my Dad's Unlimited Data. Like I said, my Dad wouldn't care, so is there a way I can get the Unlimited Data, and my Dad keeps his phone with 2GB of data?

My brother NEVER uses his phone, so if it involves his phone somehow, its all good. :)

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Hey everyone, I need some help!

My dad has a Droid Incredible 2, and Mom, my brother, and I have dumb phones. He has unlimited Data but doesn't use more than 2GB a month. We all have upgrades available except my brother. So it looks like this:

-----We all share 1400 Voice minutes, Unlimited Texting-----
Dad - Droid Inc 2 w/ Unl. Data (upgradeable)
Me - Samsung Intensity I (dumbphone, upgradeable)
Mom - LG Cosmos I (dumbphone, upgradeable)
Brother - Old LG Flip phone (dumbphone, not upgradeable)

Basically, I want to get an iPhone 5, and my Dad's Unlimited Data. Like I said, my Dad wouldn't care, so is there a way I can get the Unlimited Data, and my Dad keeps his phone with 2GB of data?

My brother NEVER uses his phone, so if it involves his phone somehow, its all good. :)

Only way is your dad will have to give you his number. The data is tied to the phone number. That can't be swapped to another line.

Newah

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Only way is your dad will have to give you his number. The data is tied to the phone number. That can't be swapped to another line.

Is it possible for him to upgrade to the iPhone 5 himself, on his line, and then transfer numbers? Wouldn't work to swap phone #'s as he owns a business and is on his phone a lot.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Is it possible for him to upgrade to the iPhone 5 himself, on his line, and then transfer numbers? Wouldn't work to swap phone #'s as he owns a business and is on his phone a lot.

Once again, unlimited data is tied to his phone number. Doesn't matter the phone its still tied to him number. If you want his unlimited data your going to have to get his phone number. There is no way around it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.