Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac Otakara reports that Apple's new Lightning dock connector is capable of hosting USB peripheral devices, meaning that Apple could potentially allow users to connect devices such as keyboard and other accessories directly to their Lightning-equipped mobile products.

lightning_usb_cable.jpg
Apple's Lightning to USB cable
Even if the report is true, however, it would require that Apple build device support for such functionality on top of the Lightning compatibility in order to allow accessory manufacturers to tap into the USB capabilities. Such functionality is also not new with Lightning, as Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit has long provided an adapter that allows uses to connect not only camera but also a number of other peripherals to their iPads.

ipad_connection_kit.jpg
Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit with USB-based camera adapter at left
Consequently, we hesitate to give too much importance to this claim, as Apple has long had the ability to support some USB-based peripherals via the original 30-pin dock connector but has elected not to make extensive use of the compatibility and the may take a similar stance with Lightning.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Lightning Connector to Support Direct USB Peripheral Hosting?

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Lightning is expressly created to lock out manufacturers even of cables who aren't paying Apple a licensing fee for using the dock connector.

The idea they're going to make it easier for anyone to create accessories is laughable.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
It seems very un-apple like to allow users to connect external peripherals (Keyboard) to iPhone via usb. As nice as it would be, I doubt it would happen :(

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Could be very interesting.

Apple had to see this stuff coming. People are already getting fired up about it but wait till the devices are in hand. It's gonna be far worse than the bumper drama with #4.

Max_Walker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
surely some mistake.....

I cannot believe Apple will forgo the opportunity to screw more money from its customers by preventing the use of USB pluggable devices into its latest specification bump upgrade aka iPhone 5:D

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Consequently, we hesitate to give too much importance to this claim, as Apple has long had the ability to support some USB-based peripherals via the original 30-pin dock connector but has elected not to make extensive use of the compatibility and the may take a similar stance with Lightning.

So then what was the point of this article? And why is it Page 1 material?? :confused:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I cannot believe Apple will forgo the opportunity to screw more money from its customers by preventing the use of USB pluggable devices into its latest specification bump upgrade aka iPhone 5:D

The older iPhone didn't work with USB pluggable devices either. That was the iPad. (Camera connection kit didn't work on the iPhone).

How stupid would it have been if they came out with a new iPhone that *didn't* have a "specification bump"? Are you familiar with computers and similar kinds of electronics?

dreadpiratepj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
CoreMIDI, any one?

There are lots of very wonderful apps for producing music and that devilsh noise known as rap and hip hop and dance, which use external MIDI devices that typically hook up to PCs through USB.

Just my 2 cents.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Lightning is expressly created to lock out manufacturers even of cables who aren't paying Apple a licensing fee for using the dock connector.

The idea they're going to make it easier for anyone to create accessories is laughable.

I haven’t seen the details of Lightning, and must have missed something big. If we know that's the reason for the switch to Lightning, then there must be something that makes it harder to build accessories for the new connector vs. the old one.

What is it that makes Lightning accessories harder to make than before?

Apple had to see this stuff coming. People are already getting fired up about it but wait till the devices are in hand. It's gonna be far worse than the bumper drama with #4.

I find this “scandal” amusing. Almost nobody will care all that much* about the loss of the old dock connector, which we knew about months ago and has very good reasons, some of which benefit consumers. But the ones who DO care (although they won’t in 6 months) will be very loud for a time :) Even if they haven’t thought this change through all the way.

The most amusing are the people who feel bad for the "poor struggling accessory makers"... who are in fact going to make money just fine off the new connector, same as the 10-year-old outdated one.

* I care. A little, not a lot. Because I have years-old speakers that will need an adapter. Except they also have regular audio in via headphone jack, and as old as they are, I think I’ll make do with that and not need any adapter. Just charge with the included Lightning cord, and the sound will come out. Someday I’ll buy new speakers, which I would have anyway, and they’ll support Lightning more conveniently. I’ll also buy the new HDMI connector, which (if you own the old one) is a shining example of why the old dock connector is so bad. (It was always best for docks and not for cables, and works poorly on the end of a heavy HDMI cord.)

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Why is it not USB 3.0 :(

While I'd also like to see it be USB3, it has been pointed out that the bottleneck is in the speed of the memory chips in the mobile devices, which aren't even fast enough to saturate USB2.

So going with 3 instead of 2 wouldn't speed anything up.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles

Or they created it because it's better. I'm glad they changed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.