Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised at how quickly it sold out today as well. I was surprised last year too. Good job Apple!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This proves nothing.

How so? After last quarter's "miss" there is pressure on Apple to sell loads of the new model this quarter. That may well explain why it launched in September and why the launch schedule is so aggressive with 30 countries getting it before quarter-end (and Apple's year-end). If they have phones to sell, they want to sell them. Certainly the sales of the 4S slowed even more rapidly in August and the first week of September, so a huge iPhone 5 launch would be significant for Apple.

They aren't going to hold back on pre-orders just to create longer lines. They want the lines to be as long as necessary so that they can crank out sale after sale after sale in stores during the launch weeks, but the more they can pre-sell the more they'll sell in total as pre-sales are unlikely to buy something else.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Code:
Just from personal experience it seems like there are less people on the S upgrade cycle. Anyone have any numbers to verify?

I could see them selling 50 million by the end of the year. That'd be incredible.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i never had a problem getting any of my iphones on day one tbh ^^ randomly walked into a tmobile store everytime and left it 30 mins later. Guess germans r just too impatient :D some guys left after waiting for 10 minutes

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
When was the last time Sam(e)sung was blown away? Hmm??

LoL. They must be hating it. Coincidentally, this is their promoted tweet of the day:

Attachments

• photosep1453744pm.png
    photosep1453744pm.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
The fact that it was sold out in an hour just means supply was less than demand. If they had 2 and got orders for 3, it would be sold out. It has nothing to do with record-breaking sales figures, yet at least. The initial supply just might have mean a lot less this year. This is no information until they quote actual pre-order unit sales. :rolleyes:

For all we know, Apple might have just held back supply to purposely say they were sold out in hour for publicity. I'm not saying that's the case, but it's possible. :)

Based on past records, don't you think Apple would've anticipated a blow out and increased their supply this time around? I would think so

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
At Midnight

My plan is to drive by the Apple store at midnight and see what the status of the line is... When the 3g was released they started lining up at 9:00pm the night before at the local AT&T store.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Please explain to me

a) when has Apple ever not said they've been blown away/very happy/etc with the pre-order for the iPhone.

b) why an Apple Spokesperson would ever say anything BUT how amazing their sales have been.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
It's just PR. Sold out of how many tho? Weren't the displays from Sharp delayed thereby causing the inventory to be smaller? The plot thickens.

mr666

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Apple is doomed.

I agree. It is always a huge mistake for a company to sell too much of what they make. Poor Apple. I knew it was coming to an end. I have been telling all of you that they will go out of business in a year--- starting in 1991.

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
An Apple spokesperson said the company was "blown away" by the response to the iPhone 5

Oh, bull. If this is true, then Apple marketing is totally inept at sales forecasting.

This is an intentional marketing ploy, intended to build the buzz and get more media space about how great the iPhone5 is. It's all geared toward making people salivate over this phone and instilling a sense of urgency in them to go buy it. Marketing 101, people.

This nonsense from Apple about underestimating initial demand for products is REAL tiresome.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I agree. It is always a huge mistake for a company to sell too much of what they make. Poor Apple. I knew it was coming to an end. I have been telling all of you that they will go out of business in a year--- starting in 1991.

Didn't you know? Apple's initial supply is always low to fool all the sheep into thinking it's selling.

Oh, bull. If this is true, then Apple marketing is totally inept at sales forecasting.

This is an intentional marketing ploy, intended to build the buzz and get more media space about how great the iPhone5 is. It's all geared toward making people salivate over this phone and instilling a sense of urgency in them to go buy it. Marketing 101, people.

This nonsense from Apple about underestimating initial demand for products is REAL tiresome.

What's REAL tiresome is people like you pretending to know what marketing means.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012

exactly. same PR BS just to produce an urgency for people to preorder. don't ask why.. just buy! shaking my head.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
<shakes head at comments in this thread>

Apple sold a boat load of these last night and anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

These sales figures will easily exceed that of the 4S and will probably be the largest electronic product release of all time.

I'll wait for the numbers like everyone else but common sense is your friend with this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.