Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
This kind of outage really scares me away from using iCloud as my primary mail service.

I use a few domains hosted through google/gmail and its rock solid, can be accessed on any type of device.

I don't understand how someone relies on @mac/@me/@icloud for serious mail use.

First time any problem from .mac/.me/cloud has affected me in any noticeable way. Using the internet as a primary resource for communication and assuming it is infallible is the problem. Outages happen.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
I was out for 2+ days. .mac is my primary email address,I can't believe the amount of business that was lost because of this. I need more than an apology.

Oh my God, really! If you lost business, because a free email service was down for a couple of days, then you really need to look into getting a commercial email service.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
No down down time so its a nonissue. Now lets overblow a nonissue it never gets old.:rolleyes:

----------

Oh my God, really! If you lost business, because a free email service was down for a couple of days, then you really need to look into getting a commercial email service.

Do you really believe someone did or just more kiddy trolling. People will say just about anything no matter how BS. :rolleyes:

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Steve would've never allowed this.

?? Is this the running joke, or are people serious with this repetitive post to any problem Apple encounters?

There have been data outages, stolen phones (as compared to leaks), Apple Store melt-downs during previous phone launches, Antenna Gate, 27 inch iMac screen issues (2010), 1.8 million battery recall (2006), that poorly conceived AppleTV . . . , a history of Cloud issues losing or improperly synching data. Just search the archives.

I lament Steve's passing as much as everyone. But to hold Tim Cook up to the standards of some fictionalized, omnipotent being, who apparently reigned over a flawless Apple, is unfair. Not to mention fatiguing.

richsadams

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
ALL Email Services Have Outages

Look...ALL email services go down at some point. My Apple mail has (yes...even when SJ was alive believe it or not), my gmail has, my paid hosting mail service has. It happens.

Anyone that depends on a single email service is asking for trouble. Get another or three email accounts and be prepared.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
a free service being down is inexcusable never. They apologise and you scream "I want free stuff" like the typical middle aged single mom trying to sue to pants off everyone for as much as breathing on her own property.

When did I say I wanted Apple to give me free stuff? I just want some sort of guarantee that their email service will actually work more than 5 days out of 7. Is that really unreasonable? Most other free emails seem to be able to accomplish this amazing feat. Apparently Apple can work all sorts of other technological marvels, just not basic email service.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
In all honesty, why anyone would choose to use iCloud for email is beyond me, there are far more reliable services....RUN, do not walk away from iCloud email. Apple is a hardware and software company, not a web services company.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
iCloud can be accessed with any type of device. Its based on open standards, IMAP, SMTP, etc

Google is rock solid but it also fails, and fails miserably as well. Just google it.

This kind of outage really scares me away from using iCloud as my primary mail service.

I use a few domains hosted through google/gmail and its rock solid, can be accessed on any type of device.

I don't understand how someone relies on @mac/@me/@icloud for serious mail use.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
First time any problem from .mac/.me/cloud has affected me in any noticeable way. Using the internet as a primary resource for communication and assuming it is infallible is the problem. Outages happen.

That I understand, and it is the nature of the internet, but 2 day downtime for email seems out of the norm.

iCloud can be accessed with any type of device. Its based on open standards, IMAP, SMTP, etc

Google is rock solid but it also fails, and fails miserably as well. Just google it.

My 8 year history with Gmail says otherwise. fails miserably? I've seen in the past they've had minor outages that last not even an hour.

Didn't realize, I can hit iCloud mail from any IMAP client then? Nice

Yes, it's free, and they owe you nothing, but its part of a larger service (iCloud, iTunes) that they want you to stay hooked into. And a 2 day downtime isn't cool - there are other providers waiting for the business.

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I was out for 2+ days. .mac is my primary email address,I can't believe the amount of business that was lost because of this. I need more than an apology.

iCloud is a free service provided to you as a convenience. Apple has no responsibility for what you use it for and is under no contractual obligation to insure that it works. If you have essential services run through email you need a professional or in house email service. If you have a contract insuring service then you are entitled to damages, but when you sign up for a free service that says in its TOS that there is no guarantee of service its your own problem when it fails.

Grammar-Nazi

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
That's not the apology I received

Mine informed me I may have not received emails sent during the downtime period. And I know I didn't receive at least 20 so far.

Attachments

• ICLOUDEMAIL.jpg
    ICLOUDEMAIL.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 94

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
I wasn't affected this time but when my twin daughters were born almost exactly 4 yrs ago MobileMe went down and I lost all my contacts off my iPhone. There were a few choice expletives uttered as I tried to remember people's phone numbers to break the good news in the early hours. A complaining email went unanswered (and i was paying for tbis service at the time)I guess an apology this time is a good start!!!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
the base iCloud service is now free.
No it is not. The cost for it is part of the Mac and other Apple hardware you buy. The Hardware cost subsidises the base iCloud to being no other cost to the user. So it's like buy a Mac and get iCloud access included in the price.

I remember someone from Apple said this somewhere once. I forget where.

macbookfan

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe you should spend some of that business money on a dedicated email service rather then complaining about a free service.

theyooper

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
I got a letter too

Attachments

• Message about your iCloud email account - theitkemper@gmail.com - Gmail.png
    Message about your iCloud email account - theitkemper@gmail.com - Gmail.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 102

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
A Flashback to the MobileMe debacle.

With some luck Apple may learn what cloud services are all about, get theirs up and running properly, and give us something to be proud of.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I was part of that 1.1%, but I don't really use my iCloud email. I use a private host.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
They do last more than 1 hour, and they do fail in 2012. Just Google it and do not be in denial that "The Cloud Never Fails". It fails, but for the minority.

I have never had a single problem with iCloud, but it does fails, not every day, but every few months, just like gmail.

Saying Google had never fail more than 1 hour in 8 years is just non sense.

Just a few links:
https://www.google.co.cr/search?q=gmail outage
http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=issue&ts=1334721599000&iid=a88855ea3653b5d2f71d98b0b8906f84
http://lifehacker.com/5354314/how-to-access-gmail-when-its-down
http://thenextweb.com/2009/02/24/gmail-day/

That I understand, and it is the nature of the internet, but 2 day downtime for email seems out of the norm.

My 8 year history with Gmail says otherwise. fails miserably? I've seen in the past they've had minor outages that last not even an hour.

Didn't realize, I can hit iCloud mail from any IMAP client then? Nice

Yes, it's free, and they owe you nothing, but its part of a larger service (iCloud, iTunes) that they want you to stay hooked into. And a 2 day downtime isn't cool - there are other providers waiting for the business.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
They do last more than 1 hour, and they do fail in 2012. Just Google it and do not be in denial that "The Cloud Never Fails". It fails, but for the minority.

I have never had a single problem with iCloud, but it does fails, not every day, but every few months, just like gmail.

Just a few links:
http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=issue&ts=1334721599000&iid=a88855ea3653b5d2f71d98b0b8906f84

My iCloud email was down for a week.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Just a few links:

It's not non sense, it's my experience with it. And I'm sure there's mobileme/iCloud users who have had 0 downtime since mobileme in 2008 as well.

2 days just isn't acceptable. Apple even feels that way in their email. And those links still do not show Gmail being down for 2 days either.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Apple has not disclosed any plans to offer a service credit or refund to affected users, though compensation is slightly more tricky because the base iCloud service is now free.

$0 per year / 365 days in a year * x days of service out. = r refund
For all all values of x, r = 0

*snort* Yeah, that's tricky all right. :rolleyes:

Kosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
$0 per year / 365 days in a year * x days of service out. = r refund
For all all values of x, r = 0

*snort* Yeah, that's tricky all right. :rolleyes:

You know, some of us did pay for iCloud if we got extra storage. I have the 25GB plan and my email was out for two days.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°

The entitlement is strong with this one.

Any service is prone to failure, free or not. Would you expect the power company to pay for lost productivity after a blackout? No. You just don't get billed for the down time, or the power not used. At best, the provider may choose to make amends to keep your business, but providing a free service is already sucking up to you at least a little.

I was one of the affected, but don't use my @me address for serious business. At least not intentionally, but was surprised to find that after the Mountain Lion upgrade, Mail had not only switched @me account to the default account, but decided to start using that @me account even in threads previously sent from my business address. That was cute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.