Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newah

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Once again, unlimited data is tied to his phone number. Doesn't matter the phone its still tied to him number. If you want his unlimited data your going to have to get his phone number. There is no way around it.

Dang, looks like we'll be moving to Shareable Data plans.. :/

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
When I add the line do I need a "dumb" phone or do I just need it by the time my iPH5 arrives.

From everything I've read and heard from VZW Reps, youd need the dummy phone once you try to deactivate the iPhone from your new line. So you won't need it until you receive the iPhone.

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
Adding the extra line does work. I confirmed with my friend who works as a store manager at a verizon store. however, he did tell me they perform 'audits' and they could take the unlimited data away if they find out you did it for this sole reason.

pyroza

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
408/310
Okay, this might be a bit long, but here's my current situation.

First things first, I'm away at school a few hundred miles from home, and my mom is the VZW account holder.

My phone (unlimited) isn't eligible to be upgraded for about another month. My grandma's phone (old flip phone) has been eligible for over a year. From what I understand, I can upgrade my grandma's phone, then when it arrives, take it to a Verizon store and have my number switched to the new phone, then have my grandma's number put back on her old phone, then cancel the new 2 gb data plan. I have a couple of questions though:

1. Does the account holder have to do this, or can I do it myself?
2. Do I need to take my grandma's phone to the store, or can it be re-activated (on her number) over the phone? Taking it with me to the store is kind of impossible since I won't be home until winter break.

Thanks in advance. This is just confusing the heck out of me.

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
This is the confusing part as sims are now involved. I am guessing you will need a fresh nano sim to complete the switch. I don't think sims can be reprogramed for a different number. I suspect canceling the data part is the easy step.

For me its even more difficult. I have a share everything plan with an ipad and a 4s. The ipad line is eligible for an upgrade as it has no contract. I preordered with that line. I assuming the new iPhones sim will be programed for the iPad line. After it activates, i will have to go into a store to complete the switch by getting a new nano sim for the phone and micro for the ipad.

Right, the Sim card has me worried. I hope Verizon is able to simply 'change' the info to mine.. I hope so.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Okay, this might be a bit long, but here's my current situation.

First things first, I'm away at school a few hundred miles from home, and my mom is the VZW account holder.

My phone (unlimited) isn't eligible to be upgraded for about another month. My grandma's phone (old flip phone) has been eligible for over a year. From what I understand, I can upgrade my grandma's phone, then when it arrives, take it to a Verizon store and have my number switched to the new phone, then have my grandma's number put back on her old phone, then cancel the new 2 gb data plan. I have a couple of questions though:

1. Does the account holder have to do this, or can I do it myself?
2. Do I need to take my grandma's phone to the store, or can it be re-activated (on her number) over the phone? Taking it with me to the store is kind of impossible since I won't be home until winter break.

Thanks in advance. This is just confusing the heck out of me.

A friend of mine is doing the same thing and this is what we were told by a few Reps.

When the iPhone comes in it will need to be activated on your Grandmother's account and then deactivated. Once it's deactivated you're free to add it to your Unlimited Account.

You can have the phone sent to you and do this without your Grandmother present. It would be best if you were added to her Account as an authorized account manager (she would need to call in to do this). It would allow you to easily call in once the phone arrives to attach it to her line, deactivate and cancel the data plan on her account and tell them the old phone will be reactiaved. In order to reactivate her account on her old phone all she needs to do is hit #... (I can't remember the numbers. It's 3 digits) and then select Option 1 and that would reactivate the phone.

Joalabear

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
So Cal
Does anyone know how long the iPhone needs to be activated on the dumbphone line before Verizon will let us switch phones?

I hope it's only for a day or two, if even that :( My Droid Razr broke on me a while ago (TWO droids broke on me within a year. I'm so getting Apple Care with my luck :eek:) and I have to activate a smartphone on my line by Sept 23 or I lose my unlimited. :(

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Does anyone know how long the iPhone needs to be activated on the dumbphone line before Verizon will let us switch phones?

I hope it's only for a day or two, if even that :( My Droid Razr broke on me a while ago (TWO droids broke on me within a year. I'm so getting Apple Care with my luck :eek:) and I have to activate a smartphone on my line by Sept 23 or I lose my unlimited. :(

Ive spoken to a number of Reps on this... two told me it could be activated and then deactivated immediately. Another told me it was 14 days. Another told me 30 days. I asked the last person if he was sure because I was being told different information. He asked me what I'd been told and he would go and verify.

He came back and said the first two were right, it can be activated and deactivated immediately. He then said the guy who said 14 days was mistaken and that you have 14 days to activate the phone.

So, I believe you can just activate and deactivate in as little as five minutes.

The key seems to be that you have to make sure to activate it on the line it was purchased on. This contrasts what some other people are saying though when they say you can just activate it directly on to your Unlimited Data account. I'd be safe and just do the activation on the other phone before swapping.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
DAMMIT! My mom has a dumb phone and we're on a family plan but I already used my upgrade and cancelled out my unlimited data with the 2GB data plan.

Wish I would've known this last night and used her upgrade, used the phone on my line, cancelled her data plan, and gave her the dumb phone.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
DAMMIT! My mom has a dumb phone and we're on a family plan but I already used my upgrade and cancelled out my unlimited data with the 2GB data plan.

Wish I would've known this last night and used her upgrade, used the phone on my line, cancelled her data plan, and gave her the dumb phone.

Well, I'm wondering if you could still do that? I mean, if you cancelled the order and never activate the phone, wouldn't you technically be able to keep your Unlimited Data Plan? You could then re-order it on your mom's account, although you'd probably now have to wait a few weeks for the phone... but to keep your Unlimited, it might be worth it?

paule350

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
what if i already have a dumb line and transfer my upgrade to it and buy an ip5 and just straight sell it. do i even have to do anything?

Joalabear

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
So Cal
Ive spoken to a number of Reps on this... two told me it could be activated and then deactivated immediately. Another told me it was 14 days. Another told me 30 days. I asked the last person if he was sure because I was being told different information. He asked me what I'd been told and he would go and verify.

He came back and said the first two were right, it can be activated and deactivated immediately. He then said the guy who said 14 days was mistaken and that you have 14 days to activate the phone.

So, I believe you can just activate and deactivate in as little as five minutes.

The key seems to be that you have to make sure to activate it on the line it was purchased on. This contrasts what some other people are saying though when they say you can just activate it directly on to your Unlimited Data account. I'd be safe and just do the activation on the other phone before swapping.

Awesome! :D Thank you so much. Takes a load off my back! I am now fully psyched (again) for Sept 21!

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Well, I'm wondering if you could still do that? I mean, if you cancelled the order and never activate the phone, wouldn't you technically be able to keep your Unlimited Data Plan? You could then re-order it on your mom's account, although you'd probably now have to wait a few weeks for the phone... but to keep your Unlimited, it might be worth it?

Yeah I actually just looked up my data usage and I've had my phone for 9 months and used a total of 9.5 GB...I'm fine with 2GB. I'm connected to WiFi at home, work, and school.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
[/COLOR]

How is doing it this way make the phone cost $1,500.

I adding it up to be about $550, with about 240 of that being spread over two years.

Phone is not going to be lower than $600. Assume a sales tax of 10% at the highest (rounding up). So $660. Add in all of the recycling fees which may or may not apply and you're very close to $700.

You've got the plan charge if you keep the line - so $60/month minimum over 2 years. $1440.

You've got the ETF if you don't keep it. $350, at the outside.

Let's say you get slimy and do what I think people are saying to do - which is create a new line with the iPhone 5, buy a dumb phone on the side, swap the device out, and then cancel the line before the end of the period. Keep in mind that most carriers' terms do allow for charging you at their discretion, so this is extremely risky. AT minimum you're looking at the ETF. SO over $1000.

Or...you pay the $700, get the device you want, and avoid all that stress.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
So as I was reading through this I saw something about the nano sim which may cause us problems since it may be programmed to the number it was bought under? Anyone know anything about this?

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
So as I was reading through this I saw something about the nano sim which may cause us problems since it may be programmed to the number it was bought under? Anyone know anything about this?

You need to go to the Verizon store to have them swap it out to your line.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007

Fingers crossed Verizon stores are stocked with these and know what's going on. I haven't dealt with Verizon sims as I only have had the 4s with them but I do know for the iPad they don't really just hand you a sim.

I wish they could reprogram the sim before you activate but no one knows. Living on the west coast has its perks for this situation.

HelloCthulhu

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Do you think this plan will work, if instead of a "dumb phone", I upgrade a Line that already has the 2GB/month plan?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
After speaking with the local Verizon rep, he advised me not to do the phone swap. Seems like Verizon is well aware of it and has clearly stated that if you want to keep the unlimited data you have to purchase your phone at retail price. I'm wondering if they are testing people? Kind of nervous about it. I would hate for them to pull the unlimited data from me and though I clearly know what I'm doing in regards to the phone swaps.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Do you think this plan will work, if instead of a "dumb phone", I upgrade a Line that already has the 2GB/month plan?

Yes, it will work. It's been mentioned more than a few times in this thread.

----------

After speaking with the local Verizon rep, he advised me not to do the phone swap. Seems like Verizon is well aware of it and has clearly stated that if you want to keep the unlimited data you have to purchase your phone at retail price. I'm wondering if they are testing people? Kind of nervous about it. I would hate for them to pull the unlimited data from me and though I clearly know what I'm doing in regards to the phone swaps.

I've spoken to more than 6 Reps about phone swapping on Unlimited Data plans and they've all told me that it's allowed and not a problem. The terms of keeping your UDP is that you not use the subsidy on your account. Technically, by swapping a phone, you're bringing your own phone to them. That's what they've all told me.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Yes, it will work. It's been mentioned more than a few times in this thread.

----------

I've spoken to more than 6 Reps about phone swapping on Unlimited Data plans and they've all told me that it's allowed and not a problem. The terms of keeping your UDP is that you not use the subsidy on your account. Technically, by swapping a phone, you're bringing your own phone to them. That's what they've all told me.

I sure hope your right. I guess if you use the subsidy on your unlimited data you can't keep the data feature. That includes transferring the upgrade since its still tied to the unlimited data line.

spacebetween

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
I sure hope your right. I guess if you use the subsidy on your unlimited data you can't keep the data feature. That includes transferring the upgrade since its still tied to the unlimited data line.

Correct. You basically just can't ever touch the phone subsidy on your UDP account, transfer or otherwise.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Correct. You basically just can't ever touch the phone subsidy on your UDP account, transfer or otherwise.

Seems like it would be cheaper to upgrade on a dumb phone than buy at full retail price?

$460 - iPhone 5 64gb (CA purchase w/ tax)
$30 - Upgrade fee
$300 - Service cost at 20 months and eligible to upgrade.

$850 - total

$915 - price for iPhone 5 64gb at retail price w/ tax

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.