Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Looks like I got an answer to my question:

http://tbreak.com/tech/2012/09/du-announces-iphone-5-compatibility/

Hope Apple will add them to their LTE compatibility list. I wonder how many other carriers are out there that are compatible but not announced?

:confused:

That's the same A1429 that you could get on launch day here in the states. It doesn't have to be officially announced or supported to work but you may be able to get subsidized pricing if you wait and get it from your local provider.

kabutar

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Really confused by a few things!

1. If I'm on Verizon, and I'm out of LTE coverage, I drop back to 3G, right?
1a. If I drop back to 3G, on a Verizon iPhone 5, can I talk and surf at the same time? I know you can't on an iPhone 4, but what about the 5?
1b. Did I read correctly earlier in the thread that by mid-2013 Verizon will have LTE everywhere and no dropping back to 3G?
2. If I'm on Verizon and I go to Canada (frequently, since my family is there), I will be good for voice roaming?
2a. However, if I use data in Canada, I will end up on 3G? (and then, no talk and surf?)
3. If I go somewhere random (e.g. South Africa) will I be able to roam for voice on Verizon? (NOT data)

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Really confused by a few things!

1. If I'm on Verizon, and I'm out of LTE coverage, I drop back to 3G, right?
1a. If I drop back to 3G, on a Verizon iPhone 5, can I talk and surf at the same time? I know you can't on an iPhone 4, but what about the 5?
1b. Did I read correctly earlier in the thread that by mid-2013 Verizon will have LTE everywhere and no dropping back to 3G?
2. If I'm on Verizon and I go to Canada (frequently, since my family is there), I will be good for voice roaming?
2a. However, if I use data in Canada, I will end up on 3G? (and then, no talk and surf?)
3. If I go somewhere random (e.g. South Africa) will I be able to roam for voice on Verizon? (NOT data)

1. Yes.
1a. No.
1b. Yes.
2. Yes.
2a. Yes 3G HSPA+ 42mbps/21mbps... you'll be able to talk and surf at the same time(GSM)
3. Yes.

Hiro32

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
We will buy AT&T iPhone 5 because we want to keep unlimited data plan not only in the US but also in other countries.
It's nice to use LTE in foreign countries but we travel abroad only once a month for 3-4 days...

aquablue

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Ok, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to networking, but I have a couple of questions:

1) If i buy a Verizon ip5 under contract, will it roam on LTE bands in Europe/Asia or does it have to be the unlocked version ip5 to work?

2) Can you get the contract Ip5 unlocked by Verizon to use a foreign sim card for costs savings abroad?

Thanks
Aqua

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Why do you think both will be sold unlocked? This wasn't the case with the 4S, right?
Yeah because 4S on Verizon and Sprint used ESN activation method and no SIM involved. The iPhone 5 will be CSIM based so you actually have a SIM to unlock. It's the same A1429 version of iPhone 5 that's gonna be sold overseas as a global GSM.

Last edited:

blupblup

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Yeah because 4S on Verizon and Sprint used ESN activation method and no SIM involved. The iPhone 5 will be CSIM based so you actually have a SIM to unlock. It's the same A1429 version of iPhone 5 that's gonna be sold overseas as a global GSM.

Does anyone have an idea about the Cricket iphone 5? Will this one work with a sim from a European carrier? And will it work with an At&t-sim and Tmobile-sim, just like the Verizon iPhone 5?

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Does anyone have an idea about the Cricket iphone 5? Will this one work with a sim from a European carrier? And will it work with an At&t-sim and Tmobile-sim, just like the Verizon iPhone 5?
No one knows if they'll be unlocked. What we do know right now is that Verizon iPhone 5 is fully unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.