Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I just bought a 2012 Civic LX in June--no bluetooth, just a USB connector in the armrest.

This will work, since I'd be able to plug my Lightning USB directly into the USB slot--right?

I have only hooked up my iPhone 4 via USB with the car so far, but it's worked flawlessly. I'm not too familiar with the compatibility with other devices.

I'm asking the same question since many 2012 Honda models only has a USB digital port to connect either a USB thumb drive or an iPod/iPhone/iPad. I wonder will the car stereo on my 2012 Honda Fit Sport AT allow me to directly connect the iPhone 5 to the car stereo with the cable supplied with the phone and allow the car stereo to directly control the iPod functionality on the iPhone 5?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Bad news: you will no longer be able to navigate through your songs and play them via the screen on your dashboard.
If your interface uses iPod Out. Which is why the product details state the iPod Out is not supported. Not all interfaces rely on iPod Out. This is covered in many recent threads on this topic.
I believe this is what I have installed in my Celica:

http://www.gtacarkits.com/toyota_celica_2000_2005_car_kit.php

Anyone know if the adaptor will work with this for controlling the songs?
That interface does not use iPod Out. If your interface emulates a CD changer, SAT radio, etc it's not using iPod Out.

Bluetooth that sucker... Cable connections were so 2011.
"X was so YYYY" statements are just as ridiculous as any other broad, sweeping generalization. Going cable free isn't everyone's top priority. For some, BT audio quality isn't sufficient among other reasons. As with any topic, don't just assume that your preferences are universal no matter what year it is. :rolleyes:

Yea WTF. Who uses cables?
Plenty do. "I don't use X" != "No one uses X". Should be pretty obvious through real world observation.

Generally people that buy high quality luxury cars are smart enough to understand the proper care & feeding of a smartphone.
One has nothing to do with the other. Understanding proper care & use of a smartphone isn't exclusive to luxury car owners. There are luxury car owners that know nothing about smartphones. There are people that don't own luxury cars that understand proper care & use of a smartphone. All types of people drive all types of cars.

Oh right, better sound quality from a sub par car audio system playing uber compressed and frequency poor mp3's (or equivalent). Right, I get it you're an audiophile.
It's all relative. BT audio can be further compressed. One can not care for it without being an "audiophile". Audio's a very subjective matter and there's a whole spectrum of preference out there -- not just what you prefer and "audiophile".

Further, not all audio compression is equal. While compressed audio can be "uber compressed" with a lot of artifacting it's not a must. Be careful with broad, sweeping generalizations -- especially when they're based on your specific prefrences.

Last edited:

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
It's funny how the old school 3.5mm input I have in my 07 Mazda 3 will continue working while all of the "fancier" 30-pin connectors in newer cars will need an adapter for the iPhone 5.

I'm not bragging though, boy would song switching via the steering wheel be nice!!

trevorlc

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
It's funny how the old school 3.5mm input I have in my 07 Mazda 3 will continue working while all of the "fancier" 30-pin connectors in newer cars will need an adapter for the iPhone 5.

I'm not bragging though, boy would song switching via the steering wheel be nice!!

I'd guess this right here is part of the reason all the early adopting car manufactures stopped using the 30 pin dock connector, for the more universal USB over the years since the first ipod integration car systems. Well that and so they could dual purpose the port for Android phones and possible other future expansion. The USB in some cars you can just throw a flash drive in with MP3's on it.

Aeroflux

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
lol if you really were an "audiophile" you probably would use CDs. BTA sounds fantastic in modern cars,it's music coming out of an iPhone it does the job.

The hell with that. Real audiophiles spin the 12". Analog FTMFW.

Seriously though...if you like music it is common sense to have a clean source. If you use BT you are choosing convenience over music quality. Which is fine for most people, just not for audiophiles.

Oh...for those who think MP3 is the best iphone can offer, apple lossless has been around for a while.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I'm watching the keynote and now I'm certain that the 'adapter does not work for iPod out' only applies to BMW models regarding this feature:

BMW-iPod-Out-Apple.png

They clearly show an Audi in the keynote with the adapter for the Audi Media Interface plugged in, and Schiller says you can 'plug in your iPhone 5, and you can charge, and listen to your music as you go'.

So if the connector is a 30-pin connector with a proprietary plug on the other end (like the Audi Media Interface), then use the adapter. If it's just a normal USB port, use your shiny new Lightning cable.

I'm still not certain how Y cables work though...

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
You do not have to use that splitter cable....
Much as i appreciate being told what's what, yes I do.

I don't have a screen in the car that's capable of showing video/album art, so I'm pretty sure I must have a different entertainment package to what you have in yours - and it DOES NOT WORK with the standard USB cable.

----------

Does it have idrive? You should be able to use a standard 30-pin cable.

No idea. It's a company car - I didn't get to choose the features/options.

EDIT: Looking at the BMW website, looks like it does have idrive. Still doesn't work with the standard cable though.

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Much as i appreciate being told what's what, yes I do.

I don't have a screen in the car that's capable of showing video/album art, so I'm pretty sure I must have a different entertainment package to what you have in yours - and it DOES NOT WORK with the standard USB cable.

iDrive consists of the color display in the center stack and a rotating knob in the center console. Doesn't sound like you have it, but I thought the 2012 3-series came with iDrive as standard equipment?

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
iDrive consists of the color display in the center stack and a rotating knob in the center console. Doesn't sound like you have it, but I thought the 2012 3-series came with iDrive as standard equipment?

Yeah, I have got idrive. Standard cable, as I've said, doesn't work though. Went to bmw dealership after I got the car and spoke to a guy I know there. He pointed me in the direction of the splitter cable.

He wasn't trying to pull a fast one either, because he recommended I buy it from eBay, rather than the £45(!) version bmw sell.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Yeah, I have got idrive. Standard cable, as I've said, doesn't work though. Went to bmw dealership after I got the car and spoke to a guy I know there. He pointed me in the direction of the splitter cable.

He wasn't trying to pull a fast one either, because he recommended I buy it from eBay, rather than the £45(!) version bmw sell.

Ah okay. You saying that you didn't have a screen to show album art threw me for a bit as even the barebones 5 series loaner I had displayed album artwork, leading me to think that you didn't have a color display at all.

My M5 uses the Y-split cable too, supposedly sound goes out through the analogue bit and controls (and video/BMW apps) etc through the USB, so I guess it won't work with the adapter. Time to shell out more big bucks for the BMW cable that'll come out in about three hundred years!

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Ah okay. You saying that you didn't have a screen to show album art threw me for a bit as even the barebones 5 series loaner I had displayed album artwork, leading me to think that you didn't have a color display at all.

My M5 uses the Y-split cable too, supposedly sound goes out through the analogue bit and controls (and video/BMW apps) etc through the USB, so I guess it won't work with the adapter. Time to shell out more big bucks for the BMW cable that'll come out in about three hundred years!

To be honest, it's not a big deal for me really. My iPhone sits in a tomtom cradle attached to the windscreen (which of course also won't work now - THAT'S a much bigger issue) and i have an old iPod Touch that just sits in the arm rest with all my music on it, and that'll obviously still work fine.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
To be honest, it's not a big deal for me really. My iPhone sits in a tomtom cradle attached to the windscreen (which of course also won't work now - THAT'S a much bigger issue) and i have an old iPod Touch that just sits in the arm rest with all my music on it, and that'll obviously still work fine.

I leave my iPod in the car too as I always seem to forget my phone in the center compartment if I connect that up, but I'm still a bit disappointed that I won't be able to use the BMW Apps/ConnectedDrive features anymore.

Hippyshakes

macrumors member
Original poster
Unless you have a premium sound system in your car and your tracks are apple lossless, most people probably won't notice the difference in quality between BT and USB.

The Audi I drive has a Bang and Olufsen and yes - I can tell the difference between wired and BT. Mostly however I like the safety and convenience of on screen control and seeing album art etc.

I just wish we would have known sooner about no video out. In the long run I am sure an adapter will come out that will solve the issue.

----------

op you say you have a new audi yet don't use BT audio or even think the quality isn't as good as plug in over BT? lol i have a 2011 VW gti and use BT audio every can't even tell the difference when i plug in and use it through MMI

Thats right I do have a new Audi A6 and the BT sound is subpar to the Video/Audio proprietary cable.

With the new lightning adpater we lose the video out and that takes away from some at least very cool on screen control and video play features.

Its no tthe end of the world but it is poorly communicated and it would seem poorly planned at this point....

I will jsut use my iPhone 4 for video and audio until a solve comes out.

----------

The OP drives an Audi so that is likely not a concern.

And again - the adapter wont work for SEVERAL car types since we lose VIDEO OUT.

No on screen album art, video play, some song control.

----------

I'm watching the keynote and now I'm certain that the 'adapter does not work for iPod out' only applies to BMW models regarding this feature:

They clearly show an Audi in the keynote with the adapter for the Audi Media Interface plugged in, and Schiller says you can 'plug in your iPhone 5, and you can charge, and listen to your music as you go'.

So if the connector is a 30-pin connector with a proprietary plug on the other end (like the Audi Media Interface), then use the adapter. If it's just a normal USB port, use your shiny new Lightning cable.

I'm still not certain how Y cables work though...

Yes charge and listen. You lose some control, video out, video play. Also the wiring shown in the presentation is NOT how audi wires today. What is shown appears like custom wiring the eay it is routed.

glowe84

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
If your interface uses iPod Out. Which is why the product details state the iPod Out is not supported. Not all interfaces rely on iPod Out. This is covered in many recent threads on this topic.

That interface does not use iPod Out. If your interface emulates a CD changer, SAT radio, etc it's not using iPod Out.

"X was so YYYY" statements are just as ridiculous as any other broad, sweeping generalization. Going cable free isn't everyone's top priority. For some, BT audio quality isn't sufficient among other reasons. As with any topic, don't just assume that your preferences are universal no matter what year it is. :rolleyes:

Plenty do. "I don't use X" != "No one uses X". Should be pretty obvious through real world observation.

One has nothing to do with the other. Understanding proper care & use of a smartphone isn't exclusive to luxury car owners. There are luxury car owners that know nothing about smartphones. There are people that don't own luxury cars that understand proper care & use of a smartphone. All types of people drive all types of cars.

It's all relative. BT audio can be further compressed. One can not care for it without being an "audiophile". Audio's a very subjective matter and there's a whole spectrum of preference out there -- not just what you prefer and "audiophile".

Further, not all audio compression is equal. While compressed audio can be "uber compressed" with a lot of artifacting it's not a must. Be careful with broad, sweeping generalizations -- especially when they're based on your specific prefrences.

Well said. Furthermore, most Bluetooth streaming is crap. I for one, prefer lossless types in a pretty decent vehicle. Bluetooth sounds like a muffled whistle bat in comparison. But I understand for some it can work great.

----------

The hell with that. Real audiophiles spin the 12". Analog FTMFW.

Seriously though...if you like music it is common sense to have a clean source. If you use BT you are choosing convenience over music quality. Which is fine for most people, just not for audiophiles.

Oh...for those who think MP3 is the best iphone can offer, apple lossless has been around for a while.

I really question those who blindly promote BT audio instead of cables for audio. There really is no argument.

philfry

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I'm asking the same question since many 2012 Honda models only has a USB digital port to connect either a USB thumb drive or an iPod/iPhone/iPad. I wonder will the car stereo on my 2012 Honda Fit Sport AT allow me to directly connect the iPhone 5 to the car stereo with the cable supplied with the phone and allow the car stereo to directly control the iPod functionality on the iPhone 5?

I have a 2012 Civic EX and since Honda uses USB Audio, it should work fine with the new connector. I just wish the BT would display track information in this car.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I have a 2012 Civic EX and since Honda uses USB Audio, it should work fine with the new connector. I just wish the BT would display track information in this car.

I still wonder, though, will the Honda car stereos that use digital USB input still allow me to change tracks, do fast skip through a track and even display track information with the iPhone 5's all-digital connection?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

Yes my 2012 335i comes with iDrive standard. iPod setup is extra and that has a 30 pin. I'm fairly sure the adapter won't work because the interface for the iPhone is a perfect fit.

desithugsr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
I am curious about something.

Doesn't Apple post schematics / code about the functionality / programing capabilities for these devices for developers as part of the iPod/iPhone hardware developer program?

I imagine BMW and all these other car audio providers had this information in order to develop these products they use.

I would think Apple wants to continue the availability of this information through the developer portal. I guess I expect all these things to start utilizing this digital only methodology, and ideally, through USB. Not sure how video works here though.

Here's the program: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

Anyone have a chance to review this and have any insights?

Thoughts?

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
Still live in my parent's basement and use their 2000 Accord, it has a tape deck that I use with the headphone jack. Newer cars that my richer friends have have headphone jack cords. This should solve all problems.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

Thanks. That got covered in another thread but this one had me worried that it was more than just ipod out I needed to worry about (talking about two lines going out in a y or something).

Heh, I had some one call my setup "ghetto" one time (in reference to why BMW's was better). I wish I knew who he was so I can say, nyah! It may be "ghetto" (I personally think it's great, it's a helluva lot less ghetto than the FM transmitters), but at least it will still work on the new iphone :).

Not that I use my iphone much in it (I actually dedicate an old ipod that i leave in a pocket), but I do use it when I want to use the GPS (and it's nice it can charge my phone while I use the GPS and put the instructions over the car speakers so I can hear them. If I just had to use the iphone itself I'd have to turn the radio down really low to hear it as I have pretty bad hearing).

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

hmmm. At least in the US 2011 and up cars are suppose to support using a direct connection via the apple 30 pin cable no y-cable needed. Cars that come with the CIC nav system(has multi-button idrive controller, HD screen, and hard drive based maps) then it should support using an apple 30 pin cable instead of the splitter.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
hmmm. At least in the US 2011 and up cars are suppose to support using a direct connection via the apple 30 pin cable no y-cable needed. Cars that come with the CIC nav system(has multi-button idrive controller, HD screen, and hard drive based maps) then it should support using an apple 30 pin cable instead of the splitter.

I don't have built in satnav, nor an HD screen afaik. It's a relatively simply text only screen (with the exception of graphics that pop up when you put the car in sport or comfort mode)... No video or anything like that.

kcossabo

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
Virginia, USA
I hope you're right, but I'm just telling you what they told me. However, given Apple's attitude/position, I really don't think they think it's their responsibility to make sure the iPhone 5 works with current accessories, but the responsibility lies with the accessory manufacturer. But, yeah, I think Apple's giving everyone involved the middle finger.

----------

It has to be a joke. Got many people though.

What we need...

270647_10151158569439814_895448788_n.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.