Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottick

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Atlanta
blackberry-curve-8300-verizon.jpg

No, but you can order one of these, which comes with a notification light.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
So, if you miss the initial notification, how do you know you have something new?

Push the home button, or wait for the repeat notification (if the application allows for it).

These are perfectly great alternatives and are certainly a whole lot better than a LED notification light, based on what I've read by some biased members on here anyways :rolleyes:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Actually, there are 727,040 notification lights on the iPhone 5. It's called the display.

618px-Trollface_HD.png

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Keep it in your pocket or glance at the display.

If something is so important that you need an instant notification, probably best to keep the phone on you. If your a super important/busy/social person, you'll probably get so much email and other notifications that the notification light will be blinking most the time anyways.

Also, why would the flash not count?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
So, if you miss the initial notification, how do you know you have something new?

the notification will stay on screen or be available in the pull down notifications listing. Calender reminders stack up or appear as a list on your screen too.

I ignore text messages while in meetings but a simple push of the home button shows the latest one up there. Once I type my passlock, I simply pull the notifications and review them.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Keep it in your pocket or glance at the display.

If something is so important that you need an instant notification, probably best to keep the phone on you. If your a super important/busy/social person, you'll probably get so much email and other notifications that the notification light will be blinking most the time anyways.

Also, why would the flash not count?

I'm asking on behalf of a family member so I don't know what his reasoning is. He went from the OG Droid to the 4S and misses the notification light. He wants a new phone but only one with a notification light.

The LED flash doesn't count because it's not a real notification light. It's on the back face of the phone and doesn't repeat until the notification is acknowledged.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Notification lights that's so 2005, blackberrys have them but we see what's happening to their company.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm either have my phone on me/within range to hear it or check it immediately when I return to it so have no need for a notification light.

I guess if don't keep it either on you or close by and don't ever check it you would want the light?

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
No and don't even get me started this is my biggest annoyance with the iPhone. A notification light is essential.

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
Am I the only one here that doesn't want a light? I've used android phones with them and they weren't very helpful. They just told me what I already knew. If you need to know about notifications, set the notifications to repeat X times. If you leave your phone and come back, press the home button.

Most androids are getting rid of the lights so I doubt apple will pick them up.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Am I the only one here that doesn't want a light? I've used android phones with them and they weren't very helpful. They just told me what I already knew. If you need to know about notifications, set the notifications to repeat X times. If you leave your phone and come back, press the home button.

No. You're not. I've never even considered it. This may be another reason why I love iPhones. No extra-annoying flashy lights.

I am reminded of how much the flashy light on Bluetooth headsets that jerks wear in darkened movie theaters annoys the hell outta me.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
All you people naysaying a notification LED would embrace it, call it brilliant, if Apple put it on the phone. But because they didn't, it's unnecessary.

Do I think one should be included? It's not a requirement, but I would definitely love it. I've always loved the idea of the icon on the home button glowing like the MacBook sleep indicator.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
All you people naysaying a notification LED would embrace it, call it brilliant, if Apple put it on the phone. But because they didn't, it's unnecessary.

Actually, no. I had a Blackberry before the iPhone, and I hated the notification light, and would turn it off in configuration when possible. I hated the distraction it caused, I hated how it sucked battery life. I hated how it made people who used it constantly check their phones, playing the LED-whack-a-mole game, acting like they had to pounce on their phones every time it blinked.

I'm happy with a single notification when a message comes in, and I'll get to it when i get to it. If I want to check my phone for messages, I'll do it when I chose to. And if the next iPhone implements a constant nag-light, I really hope they have the option to shut it off in Settings, because that's probably what I'll do. Again.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Source? My Moto Droid 4 has one, the RAZRs have one, and the Galaxy S3 has one. All are the newest Android iterations from each manufacturer.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

Do I think one should be included? It's not a requirement, but I would definitely love it. I've always loved the idea of the icon on the home button glowing like the MacBook sleep indicator.

This !!

Rest are typical iSheep responses!

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I've often thought that the home button should have a subtle glow to it (maybe a ring around it) with different colors for different types of notifications. Of course you would be able to configure this in settings and even turn it off if you did not want this feature.

I often find myself hitting the home button to check for notifications while my iPhone is sitting on my desk at work.

However, I bet that this would add to the cost, battery drain, and engineering complexity of a device in which they are trying to eek out every last mm of space.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
No and don't even get me started this is my biggest annoyance with the iPhone. A notification light is essential.

Exactly. Every person here is saying they don't want one, it's not necessary, etc. But you can bet your winning lottery ticket if the iPhone had one, those same people would be bragging about what an awesome, groundbreaking, revolutionary feature it is.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.