Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
I believe this move is extremely cheap samsung, no matter how much they hate Apple... This should be out tommorow and samsung doesnt have 790 hours standby time xD it diesnt last more than 18-30 hours without 3G and standby wnt be 1 month...

I love how the Iphone screen is turned off making it look so dull :p

The ad breaks down some key specs of the two phones, but it's also a bit misleading. Samsung lists a lot of Galaxy S III-specific software features like sharing photos wirelessly between phones and tilt to zoom, but doesn't mention any iPhone 5-specific features.
It's a silly implication that just because the iPhone 5 doesn't run Samsung's software that it's an inferior phone.*Apple packed a lot of features into its iPhone software*that the Galaxy S III can't do like Facebook and Twitter integration, AirPlay, and access to thousands of more apps.
Am I trying to say the Galaxy S III is bad? No way! When I reviewed it in June, I really, really liked it! And I haven't tried the iPhone 5, so it's hard for me to really compare the two phones beyond the spec sheets.
But given that this ad is ostensibly a feature-by-feature comparison of the two phones, it seems disingenuous of Samsung to leave out a lot of great things the iPhone 5 can do.
Take a look:
Cant post pic :S check out the link

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-anti-iphone-5-ad-2012-9#ixzz26ZLAHafz

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
well...no.
Samsung made this ad because they are butthurt about the incredible number of people pre-ordering the 5.
You can expect another commercial from SameSong in the next week or two that starts calling apple customers iSheep again.

It just goes to show that Samsung is a lot more worried about the iPhone 5 than they are letting on. Comparative advertising is less effective since by definition it draws attention to the competition. Apple's "I'm a Mac" campaign was a little bit different since it was humorous and never actually went into a spec by spec comparison.

I love how the apple dispplay is off whereasnthe samsung is on :p

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
This is very misleading. The Galaxy S3 is clearly a nice phone, but the bloatware that is installed on it just ruins it for me. Samsung lets carriers do whatever they want with the phone. Plus if you're on Verizon, they are planning on pushing out an update which installs their remote tools so a tech can remote in to your phone to troubleshoot issues. Which is a cool idea, but I wouldn't want that on my phone. In the end, the iPhone is still going to outsell the Galaxy S3.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Maybe they should add a line:

Apple: Not found by a court to be infringing design patents.
Samsung: Found by a court to be infringing design patents.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Samsung is so petty.

Apple has plenty of features that Samsung/Google don't mention in that ad, such as iCloud, which is FAR more integrated and reliable than Google.

Plus, "tilt to zoom", are you kidding me?

******** ad, and it shouldn't take a genius to realize that :rolleyes:

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Samsung needs to compare themselves to other android devices, not the iPhone, because most iPhone owners don't give a *****.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I find it even more ironic that they are advertising the S-voice, which is a complete rip-off of Siri.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Looks like an angry 12-year-old made that ad. I love the end of the Galaxy list. They could've put anything and it would've sounded equally stupid.

Galaxy SIII:

Purple
Monkey
Bananas

THE NEXT BIG THING IS ALREADY HERE!

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
They need to add under the ram portion "2gb of ram but lags like hell anyway"

That's the main reason I am switching from the S3 to the iPhone5.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Can someone explain how moving your palm across the screen for screen captures is a feature?

Plus what the hell are some of these features?
Direct calling: and all this time I've been calling people indirectly?
Group cast: is?
Smart stay: is?
Smart alert: is?

This ad tells me so little about the phone they are promoting.

Also how many of these so called features are only functional if the other person has another S3?

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
They should add this to the bottom:

trollface-problem.jpg

I can see what Samsung is trying to do (steal customers from the iPhone) but I'm not convinced it will work.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
It's funny that they list as "features" the horrible and silly "gestures" they came up with. They're the worst aspects of the s3.
Really... One of their great ideas is to tilt the phone to zoom in? Seriously. That's what it does. Tilting the phone to zoom is intuitive? It's like giving a phone to chimps. They have no idea what to do with it. Start hitting buttons, starting adding features without having any clue what they're doing. But they came up with a list of features. Folks who dislike Apple and android fans somehow manage to justify samsungs actions.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
They need to add under the ram portion "2gb of ram but lags like hell anyway"

That's the main reason I am switching from the S3 to the iPhone5.

It's probably the processor causing the lag more than the RAM. My international quad core S3 with 1GB RAM doesn't lag.

It didn't lag on ICS but it definitely doesn't lag on Jelly Bean :D

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
If Samsung, MS, Sony, Google, Motorola or anyone else does sleazy marketing its petty and pathetic
If Apple does sleazy advertising its art

Its an ad and it does make a point whether we accept it or not so why the heck is anyone offended? Just because we prefer Apple products doesnt mean competition shouldnt exist.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
If Samsung, MS, Sony, Google, Motorola or anyone else does sleazy marketing its petty and pathetic
If Apple does sleazy advertising its art

Its an ad and it does make a point whether we accept it or not so why the heck is anyone offended? Just because we prefer Apple products doesnt mean competition shouldnt exist.

So purposely leaving out key features of a product in your ad to mislead consumers isn't pathetic?

I don't see people being offended by this, I just see that most people think this is a lame attempt by samsung.

Do you ever hear Apple or most other companies insult consumers who don't use their products? well, Samsung did that. multiple times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.