Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Probably not gonna get it. It looks a lot like an ipod touch. I have a ipod touch, so i don't need this. Looks like it's straight out of a concept video on youtube though. :D But why dosen't the ipod nano 7g have a camera? The ipod nano 5g had one (i think). So why not put it on the ipod nano 7g?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I've been trimming down my library. But I would still love one of these in a 64 GB flavor to replace my 120 GB iPod classic. The software is really painful to use after having the touch interface.

It's not so bad, click-wheel is nice.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
- Where is the camera?
- Where are the 32GB?
- The only acceptable colors are graphite and silver, but dual tone is still ugly, maybe OK in silver.

I don't get the point of having yet another camera. Isn't your smartphone/tablet/camera/dSLR enough? Why would I want a camera, a crappy quality one because of the size of the player, in my music player? Because yes, it's a music player.

I'm pretty happy with 16 GB for everyday use, and consider I have a lossless library. Thing is, I don't usually listen to 1000s of songs everytime.

As for the color, that's really subjective. I still haven't chosen one. :)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't get the point of having yet another camera. Isn't your smartphone/tablet/camera/dSLR enough? Why would I want a camera, a crappy quality one because of the size of the player, in my music player? Because yes, it's a music player.

I'm pretty happy with 16 GB for everyday use, and consider I have a lossless library. Thing is, I don't usually listen to 1000s of songs everytime.

As for the color, that's really subjective. I still haven't chosen one. :)

I have a 16GB 5th gen which has a camera, so the new one is a downgrade.

I would have bought the reduced functionality 6th gen if it had been a storage upgrade, as 16GB is not enough.

If you look around a bit, you will find many people saying the white+pastel iPods are horrible.

Berek

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
By removing the belt clip they removed the best part about the nano. I don't want an arm band and I dont want a belt or case to put it in while I'm running or working out. Get a last gen nano while you can.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
I have a 16GB 5th gen which has a camera, so the new one is a downgrade.

I would have bought the reduced functionality 6th gen if it had been a storage upgrade, as 16GB is not enough.

If you look around a bit, you will find many people saying the white+pastel iPods are horrible.

Of course, if the only factor you consider is the camera, then sure, the new Nano is a downgrade. But apparently you're missing the multitouch screen (which I think is going to deliver a great performance in browsing songs) and bluetooth capability, along with new colors.
As for the color, why should I care about what some people think? It doesn't affect my personal taste at all. I like the new colors.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Of course, if the only factor you consider is the camera, then sure, the new Nano is a downgrade. But apparently you're missing the multitouch screen (which I think is going to deliver a great performance in browsing songs) and bluetooth capability, along with new colors.
As for the color, why should I care about what some people think? It doesn't affect my personal taste at all. I like the new colors.

I don't care about the bigger multitouch screen.

The point about the colour is that you said it is 'subjective', but many people agree on this, although you may not. If many people don't like it, it is objectively a FAIL, as the point is to sell as many as possible.

Previous generations enticed you to collect all colours. And some people will find silver and black boring, so they will get nothing.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
The point about the colour is that you said it is 'subjective', but many people agree on this, although you may not. If many people don't like it, it is objectively a FAIL, as the point is to sell as many as possible.

Can you specify what you mean by saying "many people"? Have you conducted a study, written a paper or a research on the matter? If so, how come you have done it before the product has even been released? :confused:

Also, I stated it is subjective in that everyone is free to like a colour over the others.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Can you specify what you mean by saying "many people"? Have you conducted a study, written a paper or a research on the matter? If so, how come you have done it before the product has even been released? :confused:

Also, I stated it is subjective in that everyone is free to like a colour over the others.

Just look on twitter how many people are calling the new iPods "ugly", "horrible", "disgusting", "fail".

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just look on twitter how many people are calling the new iPods "ugly", "horrible", "disgusting", "fail".

And how many of these people on Twitter have actually seen a 7G nano in person?

My typical reaction to Apple products shown at a Keynote or Special Event is "meh". But then I see the products in person and my opinion changes. I remember having negative reactions to the 3G and 6G nanos, but then I saw them in person and I changed my opinion 180deg.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
In summary...

It seems almost everybody thinks the new nano is missing one feature that would make it perfect:
For some it's wi-fi and wireless music downloads from iCloud.
For some it's a bigger capacity.
For some it's a camera.
For some it's the clip from the 6th gen.
For me it's GPS, instead of the crappy and highly inaccurate Nike+ setup.

I think if had all those features it would be essentially a smaller iPod touch but without the ability to install apps.
Sure would be a fantastic workout and running device though.

6GenNANO

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
By removing the belt clip they removed the best part about the nano. I don't want an arm band and I dont want a belt or case to put it in while I'm running or working out. Get a last gen nano while you can.

I agree 1,000,000%

My dream nano would be 6gen form factor with clip, sweat resistant, bluetooth, and with GPS.

However, I have the feeling that Apple is going to release a sport watch with all 6 gen features + bluetooth down the road, and that's why they killed the 6g nano and nano watches now.

Last edited:

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I love how this Nano looks. Once they introduce a camera again, it will be perfect. But this UI is ugly, it would be so much nicer to have one that's less like iOS, and it makes no sense that there's no choice of wallpaper. Somebody should make something like RockBox, since it clearly is capable of doing more than Apple's letting it do. It looks so much better without the clip IMO.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Every thing is great on the new iPod nano. But..... I WANT MY IWATCH! :(
It would have been great if Tim popped out of nowhere, saying "But.. there is one more thing...,' *looks at his watch* *tap and hold for two seconds* "Siri, remind me to buy bread at the grocery store.' That could have been SICK!

Regardless of my fantasy, yes, the new nano is great. :cool:

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Personally I'm delighted that they brought back the mint green color that was first introduced in the square nano. Bluetooth is the ne thing my earlier nanos lacked that I really have a need for--I listen to audio books while hiking.

The last gen nano was great to use as a watch--until it went belly up from the bumps and bruises sustained while wearing it. I literally went through 3 in two years (two purchased, one a warranty replacement), whereas older nanos have lasted years.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And how many of these people on Twitter have actually seen a 7G nano in person?

My typical reaction to Apple products shown at a Keynote or Special Event is "meh". But then I see the products in person and my opinion changes. I remember having negative reactions to the 3G and 6G nanos, but then I saw them in person and I changed my opinion 180deg.

You don't need to see these in person to recognise them as Japanese Miami Vice Baby Woman Sneaker iPods.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You don't need to see these in person to recognise them as Japanese Miami Vice Baby Woman Sneaker iPods.

What the heck does that even mean? Anyways, I'll wait until I see them in person to pass judgement. Doesn't matter anyways, I'm probably not buying one ... perhaps I'll stock up on reduced price 6G's.

wacomme

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009

That's what I did. I bought the last gen nano for my wife. Too bad, since I waited to see the new nano. My wife wants to use the nano at the gym. The new one lacks a clip and is too big. I like the bluetooth, but oh well. It's a music player. If I wanted the other stuff I'd be looking at the Touch.

----------

I agree 1,000,000%

My dream nano would be 6gen form factor with clip, sweat resistant, bluetooth, and with GPS.

Yes. That would be wonderful.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
And I think you'll find that from a business and marketing standpoint, this is exactly what they were planning to achieve.

Exactly. Then they can release the 8th gen nano with "so many new and innovative features." Apple wouldn't release a nano with everything you want, because then you wouldn't buy the next one.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
To be very honest I think the new nano looks like a cheap china made ipod it looks kind of fake and the way they have designed the icons round still icons bluetooth isn't a big deal they should have included it last year than leaving the iPod line untouched with out any upgrades to it.

To be honest i think apple have lost it with the iPod line.:(

Agreed. I actually thought it was some AllView cheap 13$ mp3 player the first time I saw it.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Personally I'm delighted that they brought back the mint green color that was first introduced in the square nano. Bluetooth is the ne thing my earlier nanos lacked that I really have a need for--I listen to audio books while hiking.

The last gen nano was great to use as a watch--until it went belly up from the bumps and bruises sustained while wearing it. I literally went through 3 in two years (two purchased, one a warranty replacement), whereas older nanos have lasted years.

Funny mine has lasted two years and it has been pulled off my jeans a few times and dragged (overenthusiastic dog.. it has the scratches from the first time to prove it). Or dropped or even flung. It seems to have weathered all of that fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.