Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
i was thinking of buy a iphone 5 32gb at 750$ an selling it on ebay at 1250$, do i have to buy a plan with my iphone 5 if i buy it at full price in the SPRINT store on friday at 7am? has anyone bought at full price an sold an iphone for more money on a website before? im trying to make some money in order to buy my iphone 5 because i dont have enough money right now. got any advice?

KimMelton661

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
i was thinking of buy a iphone 5 32gb at 750$ an selling it on ebay at 1250$, do i have to buy a plan with my iphone 5 if i buy it at full price in the SPRINT store on friday at 7am? has anyone bought at full price an sold an iphone for more money on a website before? im trying to make some money in order to buy my iphone 5 because i dont have enough money right now. got any advice?

I'm so confused.
You want to buy an iPhone 5 and sell it, then buy another iPhone 5 because you don't have enough money to buy one now?

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I'm so confused.
You want to buy an iPhone 5 and sell it, then buy another iPhone 5 because you don't have enough money to buy one now?

***TO CLEAR EVERYTHING UP***
yes, i have 250$ now which isnt enough to buy a new 32gb iphone 5. i want to buy one at 750$ an sell it for 1250 so i can get my 750$ an get 500$ to put towards my iphone 5. i dont have enough money because im 16 an my parents would help pay for the one i want to sell online

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
yes, i have 250$ now which isnt enough to buy a new 32gb iphone 5. i want to buy one at 750$ an sell it for 1250 so i can get my 750$ an get 500$ to put towards my iphone 5. i dont have enough money because im 16 an my parents would help pay for the one i want to sell online

This still makes no sense. Just use the $250 to get a 16g and call it a day.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Keep in mind you will likely owe paypal/ebay at least $150 in fees

ok, thank you. definitely will wait till january when im eligible to get it. thanks for the feedback, almost spent 750$ on a phone.

----------

This still makes no sense. Just use the $250 to get a 16g and call it a day.

i can't my contract says it will cost me 650$ for a 16gb. i still wont have enough i would need about 350$ more

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas

Still doesn't make an ounce of sense. If you only have $250, how are you going to buy one for $750?

kilj0y

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Then you have to assume that it would sell, who says that anoyne is willing to buy one at that price? If they they do 9/10 they will be overseas so that is more money in shipping.

Best advice do not do it, just save up and buy one you can truely afford without needlessly jepordizing yourself to eBay and the scammers that can easily say they did not recieve it or whatever and they end up with your phone and their money.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Still doesn't make an ounce of sense. If you only have $250, how are you going to buy one for $750?

i would sell the 750$ one on ebay for 1250 an get 500$. which would give me enough to buy the 32gb iphone .

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Then you have to assume that it would sell, who says that anoyne is willing to buy one at that price? If they they do 9/10 they will be overseas so that is more money in shipping.

Best advice do not do it, just save up and buy one you can truely afford without needlessly jepordizing yourself to eBay and the scammers that can easily say they did not recieve it or whatever and they end up with your phone and their money.

thank you, ive decided to not do it considering the fees i would have to pay ebay.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Kiddo, you can't count on some future buyer. If your parents are willing to give you the money for this harebrained scheme, why wouldn't they simply loan you less money to buy one that you will keep, and let you work it off to pay them back?

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Kiddo, you can't count on some future buyer. If your parents are willing to give you the money for this harebrained scheme, why wouldn't they simply loan you less money to buy one that you will keep, and let you work it off to pay them back?

i also am saving up to buy a mba

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
i would sell the 750$ one on ebay for 1250 an get 500$. which would give me enough to buy the 32gb iphone .

You do realize that if you sell something on ebay, you don't get the money until they get their phone?
On large purchases, paypal holds the money and doesn't release it until the customer is content with the phone.

So, with that in mind, you'd have to buy the phone before you'd get your money on ebay... or you're expecting a complete moron to buy it without getting it first.

bryxcore

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
lol. theres no way anyone would sell a 32gb iphone 5 for $750 on ebay, at least not this early. By the time you could get one, you wouldnt be able to sell it for 1250. sorry man.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
You do realize that if you sell something on ebay, you don't get the money until they get their phone?
On large purchases, paypal holds the money and doesn't release it until the customer is content with the phone.

So, with that in mind, you'd have to buy the phone before you'd get your money on ebay... or you're expecting a complete moron to buy it without getting it first.

yes i know, i rather wait a couple weeks than january. i guess ill have to wait till january

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
i also am saving up to buy a mba

If I was your parent, I would encourage you to decide which goal you want to reach first, and then help you decide on sensible ways to reach that goal. You can't always have what you want right away, but you will get there.

omgitzv2

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
ok, thank you. definitely will wait till january when im eligible to get it. thanks for the feedback, almost spent 750$ on a phone.

----------

i can't my contract says it will cost me 650$ for a 16gb. i still wont have enough i would need about 350$ more

Just ask your parents for the money to buy the 32gb and pay them off monthly.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
lol. theres no way anyone would sell a 32gb iphone 5 for $750 on ebay, at least not this early. By the time you could get one, you wouldnt be able to sell it for 1250. sorry man.

i saw one sell for 900$ about n hour ago

----------

If I was your parent, I would encourage you to decide which goal you want to reach first, and then help you decide on sensible ways to reach that goal. You can't always have what you want right away, but you will get there.

i rather have a mba, ive been saving up since February an my parents wont let me do a monthly payment with them :(

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007

You're forgetting tax plus eBay fees in that equation. The most you'd profit is a few hundred dollars - that's assuming you find someone desperate enough to buy at $1250.

Might be best to wait a while and just buy when your current contract is up or when you've saved enough money.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
You're forgetting tax plus eBay fees in that equation. The most you'd profit is a few hundred dollars - that's assuming you find someone desperate enough to buy at $1250.

Might be best to wait a while and just buy when your current contract is up or when you've saved enough money.

I will! I have to wait till January. For the 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.