Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Heres my iPhone 6 predictions:

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider.
- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending.
- No more home button.
- Available in 128GB size
- Camera will be 12MP with low light capability.
- NFC
- Battery life will be 20 hours of WiFi surfing, 18 hours over cellular.
- Wireless charging.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Heres my iPhone 5S predictions:

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider.
- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending.
- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.

Fixed something for you! And I doubt it will have wireless charging. Maybe 10MP instead of 12. I don't see the home button going away or screen size changing until the actual iPhone 6, two revisions from now.

Maybe I gave you my opinion on the release wrong and you did totally skip next year's revision.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Fixed something for you! And I doubt it will have wireless charging. Maybe 10MP instead of 12. I don't see the home button going away or screen size changing until the actual iPhone 6, two revisions from now.

Maybe I gave you my opinion on the release wrong and you did totally skip next year's revision.
According to the logic of ppl on the interwebs, the iP6 refers to the 2014 model.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Get ready for disappointment buddy. You and everybody else said the same thing about the 5 and look what happened. Stems from a misunderstanding of how apple actually works and replaces it with how you'd make an iPhone. You. Personally. You. Not apple.

I know these little wish lists we had in the last worked because things were so obviously coming, but **** like wireless charging, even when apple themselves said they aren't interested in, just gets your wish list out of the scope of reality.

If you were being realistic, it would be something like

-new processor
-new camera
-same design
-more Siri upgrades

That's it. Don't get your hopes up.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010

- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.

Here's my adjustments to your predictions:

- No increase in screen size, aspect ratio or pixels per inch. Screen size will stay the same as iPhone 5 for several generations.
- No liquid metal backing.
- Yes a home button.
- Not available in 128GB size
- Camera will be moderately improved.
- No NFC
- LOL, not happening. Battery life with have minimal changes.
- Also not happening. Wireless charging is a waste of power.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Now introducing the iPhone 5S featuring a faster processor, improved Siri, and iOS7.
Screen Shot 2012-09-16 at 3.35.48 PM.png

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
not much to expect. I highly doubt the screen will be different on the next model.

bigger screen 2 years from now.
some minute features.
8MP camera can be on the next 4 versions and it still wouldn't matter....I doubt anyone is printing pictures the size of football field...
wireless charging is years from being actual useful.
battery life does need to improve and will in 2 years when the phone size increase...

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
You have no chance of the screen increasing in size any time soon.

What is it with people and big phones? Go buy a Samcopy S3 if thats what you want, then you can go moan on the android forums when you realise how much it sucks needing 2 hands to use it and needing bigger pockets.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
According to the logic of ppl on the interwebs, the iP6 refers to the 2014 model.

You think there won't be an iPhone 5S and the 6 will be introduced next year? Or were you agreeing with my post? Sorry, I didn't completely understand it.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Hum, your predictions are unrealistic and some (OLED) would be a step backwards.

My predictions:

Still the same screen size and resolution with IGZO and image quality improvements
Faster processor (custom design)
Faster graphics
12 Mpx camera with improved post processing
Much better battery life
Slightly thinner
NFC for Passbook and new features competitors don't have
Mobile payment and secure authentication
No inductive charging (pointless and makes the phone thicker)
Improved Siri and a couple gimmicky features you may or may not use
UI changes for the sake of change just to shut up the whiners

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
They should at least get rid of the 16GB option in the iPhone 6 and have 32GB, 64GB and 128GB options. I mean, first the retina display, and now the taller retina display... 16GB is getting smaller and smaller...

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider. Not a chance
- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending. No way
- No more home button. Unlikely
- Available in 128GB size The most plausible of your suggestions
- Camera will be 12MP with low light capability. Plausible, unlikely
- NFC Maybe, depends on how NFC does throughout the year, PassBook might help
- Battery life will be 20 hours of WiFi surfing, 18 hours over cellular. Good luck with that. Doubling the battery life? What a joke.
- Wireless charging. No

What you're more likely to see:
- Updated processor/GPU
- Updated Siri
- Small Camera improvements
- Small Battery Life improvement
Pick ONE:
- NFC
- 128GB
- 12 MP camera

reputationZed

macrumors 65816

- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.

- 4.3" LCD is so 2013

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider. No it won't. Same width for the iPhone 5S
- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending. No it won't
- No more home button. Keep dreaming
- Available in 128GB size No it won't-Same as today
- Camera will be 12MP with low light capability. No it won't. Better sensor and that will be it. No need for 12MP. Its the sensor that matters
- NFC Only if its perfected by Apple.
- Battery life will be 20 hours of WiFi surfing, 18 hours over cellular. Keep dreaming. It will improve but not by much
- Wireless charging.

Fixed some more...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Next year is 2013, therefore "iPhone 5S". 2014 will be "iPhone 6"

Ah, good, just making sure we're on the same page. You've been here a while so I would have been confused if you were disagreeing with me. :)

They should at least get rid of the 16GB option in the iPhone 6 and have 32GB, 64GB and 128GB options. I mean, first the retina display, and now the taller retina display... 16GB is getting smaller and smaller...

That's what I see happening.

iPhone 3G - 16GB
iPhone 3GS - 32GB
iPhone 4 - 32GB
iPhone 4S - 64GB
iPhone 5 - 64GB
iPhone 5S - 128GB
iPhone 6 - 128GB
etc, etc.

They seem to get storage bumps when it's more a spec and no redesign change, which I don't really mind.

Last edited:

dwreck

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Agree with this.

Also, iOS 7 will see Siri come out of beta, and APIs made available to developers.

Ah, good, just making sure we're on the same page. You've been here a while so I would have been confused if you were disagreeing with me. :)

iPhone 3G - 16GB
iPhone 3GS - 32GB
iPhone 4 - 32GB
iPhone 4S - 64GB
iPhone 5 - 64GB
iPhone 5S - 128GB
iPhone 6 - 128GB
etc, etc.

They seem to get storage bumps when it's more a spec and no redesign change, which I don't really mind.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011

iPhone 3G - 16GB
iPhone 3GS - 32GB
iPhone 4 - 32GB
iPhone 4S - 64GB
iPhone 5 - 64GB
iPhone 5S - 128GB
iPhone 6 - 128GB
etc, etc.

The reason why this won't happen (i believe) is because it is not profitable for the company. They would rather you pay a yearly subscription for storage space than let you buy it.

Makes more money...

Until apps/music/pictures become much bigger in mb size. It will remain minimal.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Considering the iPhone 5 is being presented as "all new" and a major upgrade, then the next new model may be a minor upgrade. The only change in hardware may be the addition of NFC. Other changes are likely to be confined to software. There's no compelling reason for Apple to do more than that.

iPad 2

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011

- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.

You're missing one. 1280x720 resolution to go along with the 4.3 inch screen. That way you get a standard resolution and retain the same PPI.

Please add it to your list.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Get ready for disappointment buddy. You and everybody else said the same thing about the 5 and look what happened. Stems from a misunderstanding of how apple actually works and replaces it with how you'd make an iPhone. You. Personally. You. Not apple.

I know these little wish lists we had in the last worked because things were so obviously coming, but **** like wireless charging, even when apple themselves said they aren't interested in, just gets your wish list out of the scope of reality.

If you were being realistic, it would be something like

-new processor
-new camera
-same design
-more Siri upgrades

That's it. Don't get your hopes up.

Agreed 100%. And they'll NEVER go OLED until the tech can reproduce colors more accurately. The fact that Apple went with an sRGB Color Gamut was very telling on what is important to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.