Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

John Poole of PrimateLabs let us know that the first iPhone 5 benchmark has hit Geekbench.

gb.png

The results show an iPhone5,2 device running iOS 6 with a Dual-Core 1.02GHz ARMv7 processor and 1GB of RAM.

The total Geekbench 2 score comes in at 1601. Poole notes that the average score for the iPhone 4S is 629 and the average score for the iPad 3 is 766. A comparison chart of previous iOS devices can be viewed at Geekbench. The numbers seem to validate Apple's claim that the A6 processor is twice as fast as the A5 and any previous iOS device. This one score also places the iPhone 5 ahead of the average scores of all Android phones on Geekbench. The full Geekbench results further breakdown processor, memory and bandwidth performance.

gb2.png

The A6 also appears to be clocked higher than the A5 at 1GHz (the iPhone 4S A5 ran at 800Mhz). The 1GB of RAM was previously confirmed by part number markings on the A6 processor itself.

Poole acknowledges that any pre-release results on Geekbench have a chance of being faked, but he seems to believe that these results are legitimate. The iPhone 5 will be available to the general public on September 21st.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Benchmarks Appear in Geekbench Showing a Dual Core, 1GHz A6 CPU

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
In before Galaxy SIII users with their 1.4/1.5GHz blah blah blah...zzzzz

EDIT: D'oh!

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Wow. Impressive performance, can't wait to get mine!

My mother is upgrading from a 3G. I don't think she will know what to do with all that power.

Penfold2711

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
looks pretty good can't wait to get me mitts on it to see how quick it really is :cool:

Last edited:

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Looking up the list of the competition that would mean that - if these numbers are true - the iPhone 5 would be the fastest phone on the market.

Nothing infuriates me more than Fandroids looking at spec sheets to determine what is better. OBVIOUSLY Android phones need more under the hood to compete with an iPhone with lower raw specs. That is clear.

The link to the Android list:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

EDIT: Its even beating their tablets. The only thing that comes close is the Nexus 7 and the SIII but the iPhone beats them both.

Swift Sketcher

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
I just want to get this straight so I'm not misinformed here.

So it's more powerful than the ipad3, which was already more powerful than current-gen gaming consoles, with nearly double the benchmark to boot.

Do I have this correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.