Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Ok, what needs doing is to connect a wired xbox 360 to a 802.1X auth wireless network using a connection share across a 2012 13" MBP.

I'm stumped at the dialogue box pictured.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-16 at 15.12.17.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-16 at 15.12.17.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 565

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
We have spent a great deal of time going over this now, still with no joy.

We have got the xbox to recognise that it is connected to the computer but it fails to get on the internet.

These links deal with similar issues or problems to out own.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1063857

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=267625

One option is to share the connection over windows on a bootcamp partition but that wouldn't be ideal and I see it as a last resort.

If it's possible on PC then one would hope it's possible on mac too.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Is this an issue that anyone knows anything about? Or does anyone have any ideas on where i could post this instead?

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Is this an issue that anyone knows anything about? Or does anyone have any ideas on where i could post this instead?

This is by Apple's design as, in most organisations where the network edge has been secured this way, it is against their acceptable use policy to share your connection for security and auditing reasons.

Last edited:

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
This is by Apple's design as, in most organisations where the network edge has been secured this way, it is against their acceptable use policy to share your connection.

this is understood.

However this is a residential connection and we're were told by admin if we could get it to work they wouldn't stop us. But they won't help.

note: it works on PC

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
this is understood.

However this is a residential connection and we're were told by admin if we could get it to work they wouldn't stop us. But they won't help.

note: it works on PC

Indeed it does work in Windows, but that doesn't make the behaviour desirable even though it's perfectly technically possible. I appreciate this doesn't help you, but OS X isn't going to make your life easy here as its behaviour is intended. I was merely trying to explain why.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Indeed it does work in Windows, but that doesn't make the behaviour desirable even though it's perfectly technically possible. I appreciate this doesn't help you, but OS X isn't going to make your life easy here. I was merely trying to explain why,

ok, so you think windows would just be the easier route?

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
with all due respect for your interest in the matter, this thread is not about policies or ethics. It's about how to do something on mac that I can already do on PC

Respectfully, you're missing my point. OS X is designed explicitly to stop you doing this, so I don't think you're going to find an easy way to do it.

----------

ok, so you think windows would just be the easier route?

Definitely, yes!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Respectfully, you're missing my point. OS X is designed explicitly to stop you doing this, so I don't think you're going to find an easy way to do it.

You edited your post then so did I...

So you think windows then?

----------

Definitely, yes!

OK, that's just what we'll have to do.

would this be possible under ubuntu also?

[i have to dash now but i'll be back later]

AlanMW2

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2014
Anything new?

I am on campus this year and an facing the same problem, i can run windows in bootcamp and maybe try there, but have you made any progress toward sharing 802.1X protected network's on a mac? Would love to give connection to my game system...

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I am on campus this year and an facing the same problem, i can run windows in bootcamp and maybe try there, but have you made any progress toward sharing 802.1X protected network's on a mac? Would love to give connection to my game system...

Wow, this feels like a really long time ago but the answer is no. I never found a way to do this on a mac without using my bootcamp Windows partition.

piggy2088

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
Wow, this feels like a really long time ago but the answer is no. I never found a way to do this on a mac without using my bootcamp Windows partition.

A way to do this is connect a VPN first, then you are able to share the VPN connection.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
A way to do this is connect a VPN first, then you are able to share the VPN connection.

:eek: this is an old thread! I've not been on here in ages.

Luckily I've left this network and it's problems behind. Unfortunately I've no longer got the required time to put it what it takes to get fun out of an FPS title...

I'd be amazed if a VPN would've been up to playing multiplayer games with a low latency requirement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.