Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
I was recently using my 2012 MacBook Air and I noticed this strange anomaly:

ScreenShot2012-09-17at101306AM.png

As you can see, my computer has used an extremely high amount of swap; however, there is plenty of free memory.

The story behind this photo is: I went to check my mail (Apple Mail program) and I noticed a sever slow down. The only other programs that I had open at the time were Safari and Notes, however I wasn't doing anything intense with either of them.

Should this be happening? Why is my computer swapping so much memory when there is so much free memory left? Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
How long ago did you restart? And even though you might have enough free RAM, often a small SWAP file is created nonetheless (64 or 128 MB).

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
How long ago did you restart? And even though you might have enough free RAM, often a small SWAP file is created nonetheless (64 or 128 MB).

I restarted probably between 1 to 2 days ago.

And yes, a small SWAP file may be created; however, 1 GB is hardly trivial.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Should this be happening? Why is my computer swapping so much memory when there is so much free memory left? Thanks

Your computer isn't swapping anything at all. Look at "Page ins" and "Page outs", that's what it is actually swapping.

Mail can slow down for the simple reason that the mail server at your ISP is slow.

And yes, a small SWAP file may be created; however, 1 GB is hardly trivial.

1 GB _is_ trivial.

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
Your computer isn't swapping anything at all. Look at "Page ins" and "Page outs", that's what it is actually swapping.

Mail can slow down for the simple reason that the mail server at your ISP is slow.

1 GB _is_ trivial.

So is swap just Page Ins + Page Outs? If not, what is the difference between page out and swap? I always though that swap was what you should look at to see if your computer has enough RAM

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
So is swap just Page Ins + Page Outs? If not, what is the difference between page out and swap? I always though that swap was what you should look at to see if your computer has enough RAM

I'm not 100% sure, but according to the wording on the Apple Support Document, this is the *amount* written to swap, not the current usage.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342?viewlocale=en_US

(See bottom of the article)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

^+1

OS and apps have the nasty habit of "hogging" as much memory as they can possibly used. Swap file size seems to increase proportionally to the machine's available physical ram, regardless of what you are actually doing. There maybe a manual way for u to specify the swap file size if that really bothers u.

But ur current slow down was a coincidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.