Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to reports on the MacRumors Forums and on Twitter, Apple's iMessage SMS-replacement service is currently experiencing some sort of system outage.

imessage.jpg

Users are experiencing difficulties with delayed messages, messages completely failing to send, as well as read receipt notification errors. The problem is intermittent and not universal, but given the high-profile that Apple places on the service -- it's enabled by default on every iOS device -- any sort of outage is going to affect many users.

We've emailed Apple for comment and a timeline for a resolution, but have yet to hear back.

Update: iMessage appears to be working again for many.

Article Link: Some Experiencing Delays and Failures When Sending iMessages [Update: Fixed]

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Just wait until everyone starts linking their phone numbers to their Apple IDs on Wednesday. The number of iMessages sent is going to go through the roof.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
My text went through, but it said it was a normal text and not an iMessage. 5 or so minutes later it changes to an iMessage.

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
'2012' even Apple has failed rollouts with shiny new data centers. In all seriousness, how is this front page news?

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Oh my, the drama! I mean, just send it as a TEXT, it's a default, duh. Yea, I know, not from an ipad or mac, but BFD. What's up with the PERFECTION expectations people? Deal.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Doesn't it fall back to normal SMS when there are issues at all?

EDIT: Just turned it off on my iP4 just in case I have any issues.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Love imessage but not working here (Austria) from Mac to Mac or any other iDevice I tried (2 iPads and 1 iPhone)

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Getting this on and off, I found restarting the computer helped, tis very frustrating...

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
My iMessages are working fine except everything on my 4S has started appearing shorter & heavier with less color saturation.
Started ever since Sept. 12th.
Anyone have a fix?

e2k

normalgeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
i've got an iMessage problem

This has been messing with my whole day.

My issue:
I send a message. I don't stare at every message to confirm it's sent. I look back at the phone an hour later, wondering where my reply is, and realize it never sent. So I send as text (now that I know the problem), but some of the folks I'm messaging don't know the issue, or the temporary work-around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.