Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Gamoe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
5 Gen iPod Touch + Bluetooth Keyboard?

Since the new iPod Touch has bluetooth, I'm wondering: Can it connect to a bluetooth keyboard? I know this sounds a little silly, but it would be a major selling point for me.

That would be mean you could connect the Touch via AirPlay to a display and use a BT keyboard to type up a report or letter. That would be one sweet deal.
__________________
Gamoe.net
Gamoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Tortri
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Since the new iPod Touch has bluetooth, I'm wondering: Can it connect to a bluetooth keyboard? I know this sounds a little silly, but it would be a major selling point for me.

That would be mean you could connect the Touch via AirPlay to a display and use a BT keyboard to type up a report or letter. That would be one sweet deal.
I don't see why not.

Found this article on Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1664?v...S&locale=en_US

4th Gen's support bluetooth keyboards so I expect the 5th gens to do the same.

There you have it :-)
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Gamoe
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortri View Post
I don't see why not.

Found this article on Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1664?v...S&locale=en_US

4th Gen's support bluetooth keyboards so I expect the 5th gens to do the same.

There you have it :-)
That's great, thank you!
__________________
Gamoe.net
Gamoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
urban.spaceman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I'm a backpacker, so I could be anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Since the new iPod Touch has bluetooth, I'm wondering: Can it connect to a bluetooth keyboard? I know this sounds a little silly, but it would be a major selling point for me.

That would be mean you could connect the Touch via AirPlay to a display and use a BT keyboard to type up a report or letter. That would be one sweet deal.
I've been using one with my 4th gen for the last few months and would definitely recommend it! When it's connected the on screen keyboard disappears allowing you to see the full screen. It also allows you to control stuff like brightness, volume, and your music without having to leave the app you're using.

The Apple one is 60 quid but if you don't want to pay that, the one I got was only 13 off Amazon. In comparison it's cheap and tacky but it works perfectly, and I'm still using the same AA batteries I put in 3 months ago.

If/when this one dies I'll get an Apple one, as the battery lasts for 9 months and is made of stronger stuff.

One thing though, be prepared for dodgy looks when using it in public!
urban.spaceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Gamoe
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.spaceman View Post
I've been using one with my 4th gen for the last few months and would definitely recommend it! When it's connected the on screen keyboard disappears allowing you to see the full screen. It also allows you to control stuff like brightness, volume, and your music without having to leave the app you're using.
Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.spaceman View Post
The Apple one is 60 quid but if you don't want to pay that, the one I got was only 13 off Amazon. In comparison it's cheap and tacky but it works perfectly, and I'm still using the same AA batteries I put in 3 months ago.

If/when this one dies I'll get an Apple one, as the battery lasts for 9 months and is made of stronger stuff.
I have an old full-sized Apple one (pre-low-profile keys) that still works great. I'll probably just use that if I get the new Touch (I'm still iffy considering its pricey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.spaceman View Post
One thing though, be prepared for dodgy looks when using it in public!
Haha! I bet. Question, though: How do you place the Touch so that you can see the screen and still type. You just stand it up horizontally? I'm wondering if that can even be done with the new ones, considering they're much thinner. What about typing on the sofa or in bed? Or is a table pretty much a prerequisite?
__________________
Gamoe.net
Gamoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:21 PM   #6
urban.spaceman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I'm a backpacker, so I could be anywhere
Quote:
I have an old full-sized Apple one (pre-low-profile keys) that still works great. I'll probably just use that if I get the new Touch (I'm still iffy considering its pricey)
There's no stopping me updating, it's still pricey but I'll set that off against selling my 4th gen. The specs are just too much of a prospect to say no to!

Quote:
How do you place the Touch so that you can see the screen and still type. You just stand it up horizontally? I'm wondering if that can even be done with the new ones, considering they're much thinner. What about typing on the sofa or in bed? Or is a table pretty much a prerequisite?
I use a Joby GorillaPod Mobile edition - it's just so ludicrously versatile I feel blessed to own it (and it's big brother SLR version)! It allows me to use it anywhere at all - in the car (as a passenger) wrapped around the door handle, on the train, on the bus, in bed, on the sofa; anywhere. If I ever pop into the pub for a swift quiet pint after work, and I haven't got the GorillaPod with me, I'll just prop it up against my wallet or something. Very highly recommended.
urban.spaceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod touch 2nd gen digitizer in 3rd gen? jrsx iPod touch 3 May 26, 2014 02:16 PM
iPod touch gen 5 not discovering Bluetooth gary c iPod touch 3 Sep 30, 2013 12:12 PM
iPod Touch 4th gen vs 5th gen? jread iPod touch 18 Jul 15, 2013 02:35 AM
iPad: Bluetooth keyboard for iPad gen 4 kataleen2k iPad Accessories 0 Jun 10, 2013 04:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC