Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Received my BTO on Friday, screen backlight is flickering noticeably by itself today after two days use. Tried resetting the machine, PRAM. Nothing is fixing it. Screen is an LG. Really very annoyed, I waited a week for this, and now I'll probably be without it for another week while it's fixed.

sasparilla1

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Can anyone with an LG or Samsung Panel please look at the Graphic in my last post an tell me if there is any dithering?
Because if there isnt, i will have to get my MB Air 11 exchanged.

Thank you very much. :)

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I got LSN133BT01A02! its looks not so good, it looks blue. Is there a colorfix for that?
I think that all of the MBAs look blue out of the box. I calibrated mine with a Spyder, and got a much better look out of it. There's also the calibration program that comes with the ML. Though you're eyeballing it when you use that. There are also a whole bunch of color profiles floating around in this thread that you could give a try.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Does anybody have a professional photo/video profile for the 13" Samsung screen? I think it looks great (better colors than my iPad) but I want to make sure that when I edit photos I'm not getting a weird result on another screen.

LoveMyiMacs

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
So what?

Even if the Samsung panels were better the LG's, so f..king what?
Can't you just enjoy what you have in front of you?
Just look at it, what a magnificent piece of engineering.
God has put Apple engineers on this earth to please us, yet you are still unhappy.
God has made Apple products to be better than all other products on this earth, enjoy his blessing.

Luigi3

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
Just look at it, what a magnificent piece of engineering.
God has put Apple engineers on this earth to please us, yet you are still unhappy.
God has made Apple products to be better than all other products on this earth, enjoy his blessing.

Is this guy serious ಠ_ಠ

rsaravanan

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
My attempt at calibration - 2012 Air 11" LG display

Attached is the profile I've settled with - calibrated using a Spyder by myself.. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• LG Color LCD-12.icc.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 419

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Awesome thread! I now know a little bit more about my 2012 MBA 13".

My display is LTH133BT01A03 which is Samsung. Yay!
My SSD is APPLE SSD TS128E which is Toshiba. Apparently just as good as Samsung in some tests. Would have been a Samsung if I'd gone for 256GB.

Over the last 4 years or so I've frequently read that Samsung panels are far superior to LG. It appears that this is still the case. However in 2013 we may see this change to Sharp vs Samsung, with Sharp being the superior panel if IGZO is as good as it's claimed to be and if Apple start using it in their MBA's.

Last edited:

Airbiscuit

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Awesome thread! I now know a little bit more about my 2012 MBA 13".

My display is LTH133BT01A03 which is Samsung. Yay!
My SSD is APPLE SSD TS128E which is Toshiba. Apparently just as good as Samsung in some tests. Would have been a Samsung if I'd gone for 256GB.

But over the last 4 years or so I've often read that Samsung panels are far superior to LG.

That's where I'm at too with mine... Samsung screen and TS SSD. Whatever. Seems to run fine, and then screen looks good so... :)

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
The whining about the LG screen has completely stopped since Mountain Lion shipped with a revised default profile.

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
wow all the profiles on the thread are just terrible for my screen. everything is just blue. i calibrated mine with an x-rite i1 and it looks pretty decent. what makes a huge difference for me is the horizontal viewing angle. there was a pic posted earlier in this thread. the LG has bad colors when you watch it from a pretty low horizontal angle

Last edited:

Princeton3

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Man! I bought a 2012 MBA last month. It is my very first Apple computer. I have not had any problems with it and I'm glad for the most part that I made the switch. But my purpose in this post is to say that part of the joy I have in my new computer is that when I see threads like this I run like hell.... I could care less whether I have a Samsung screen or LG. The screen looks good to my eyes and that is all that matters to me. Not by any means invalidating others' concerns or issues with their screen but sometimes it seems like when you go looking for issues you find them....

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Man! I bought a 2012 MBA last month. It is my very first Apple computer. I have not had any problems with it and I'm glad for the most part that I made the switch. But my purpose in this post is to say that part of the joy I have in my new computer is that when I see threads like this I run like hell.... I could care less whether I have a Samsung screen or LG. The screen looks good to my eyes and that is all that matters to me. Not by any means invalidating others' concerns or issues with their screen but sometimes it seems like when you go looking for issues you find them....

Your views are too damn sane for this board. ;)

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Just got my 2012 13.3" Air and it has the LSN133BT01A02 display (Samsung apparently). Compared to my old 13" MBP, the screen is so blue. I downloaded a number of other profiles for Samsung displays and I can see the in the Display Settings, but when I click one, nothing happens. When I close the window and go back in to Display Settings, the original profile is still selected. Further, I can't use the "Calibrate..." option because is says "The factory profile for the display could not be found."
Anyone know what the heck I'm doing wrong here? Thanks!

EDIT: Fixed! I changed another aspect of the display settings (played with scaled resolution) and suddenly when I applied the new resolution, the new calibration profile suddenly was applied as well. Now I can go into "Calibrate...". I can say that the different calibration profiles I downloaded from another make a HUGE difference. (I found them at this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1200317/)

Last edited:

xxnoelziexx

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2009
13" 2.0 8GB LG LCD & Samsung SSD
No dead pixels Calibrated my screen which is now a lot better (What a difference) I have to say when I started reading the post I really wanted a Samsung screen but checking my old 13" macbook pro I had LG screen in there with no problems. My Macbook pro Retina has Samsung screen. I would advise anyone put of by the screen lottery don't worry about it. I am so happy with my purchase.

Will post some pictures up later tonight.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
13" 2.0 8GB LG LCD & Samsung SSD
No dead pixels Calibrated my screen which is now a lot better (What a difference) I have to say when I started reading the post I really wanted a Samsung screen but checking my old 13" macbook pro I had LG screen in there with no problems. My Macbook pro Retina has Samsung screen. I would advise anyone put of by the screen lottery don't worry about it. I am so happy with my purchase.

Will post some pictures up later tonight.

How did you calibrate it?

My MBA 13/128/8/i5 got the LG screen and Toshiba SSD. The LG looks great even without calibration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.