Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Anyone got a time machine set for 1996?

If, instead of purchasing and importing a Twentieth Anniversary Mac in March 1998, I had used the money to buy Apple shares, I'd be sitting on around about $250,000... (instead of about $1,000 my TAM would sell for now)

Would NEVER have done it... it's not like I had that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket, but bought Commonwealth Bank (blue chip) shares instead...

But still...

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Yeah I do own their stock and it's up 67% since I bought it. :D

800% for me.

----------

I agree withe 99% of your views so far but not once did he say that you have will have more money post split.

All he said was they should do a split so its more affordable..... and its not like the price wont make its way back up anyway.

How does it make it more affordable? 1 share for $233 vs. 1 share for $700? If you can't afford one share, then the cost of commissions for the trade aren't even worth it.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I'd say it has to fall... but then they only need to PUT AN APP STORE ON APPLE TV and that product becomes the next iPhone - simple as...

How to we interact with those apps? Touch our TV? Use our iPhone/iPads? We we can already do the latter if we have an iPhone, and it would be pretty silly for a $99 item to require a $200-$800 item to work it.

Yes, there is a significant problem with app store on AppleTV.

----------

Yes, but not a lot of people under 18 can afford to buy much stock at $700 a share.

But it's all relative. If you can get in at $233 a share after a split, expect the gains to be split by 3 as well. Say it wen't up 10%. Something a normal stock might do every 5-10 years. That would be a $23 gain. With the price of a trace at 10-15 when you buy and sell, that puts you in the negative. Commissions should be about a third of a percent.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Too far, too fast. Time for a break.

I don't understand this too stuff? Too fast based on what, the historical comparison to. . . compared to what?

It's the most valuable company.

They redefined the mobile phone industry.

They own the tablet industry.

Growth over the past few years has been unbelievable.

From my view, this stock growth matches Apple's growth and performance.

What are your thoughts on this?

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Too far, too fast. Time for a break.

I guess you forgot the fall in the stock price back in april. This type of growth given the adjustment in april is healthy acceleration.

And yes, I back this opinion with real money. The only kind of talk that counts.

----------

You'd only be richer if you sold them right now. Those stocks will most likely fluctuate back down to what you paid for them soon.

Looks like someone needs a lesson in how to make money when a stock moves up, down, or sideways. You only need to take an educated, well researched position, and then make an investment in that position.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
3) Thinnest lightest smartphone in the world while packing LTE with great battery life. Part of this is on Qualcomm for delivering a chip to handle LTE, GSM, and CDMA all in one, but part of it is on Apple for (1) refusing to compromise on power-hungry chips and (2) making the whole package exceed the battery life of previous models and competitors while supporting LTE.

Galaxy SIII is thinner with an equal battery life, LTE, more RAM and faster processor. ;)

----------

I guess you forgot the fall in the stock price back in april. This type of growth given the adjustment in april is healthy acceleration.

And yes, I back this opinion with real money. The only kind of talk that counts.

----------

Looks like someone needs a lesson in how to make money when a stock moves up, down, or sideways. You only need to take an educated, well researched position, and then make an investment in that position.

I understand stocks just fine. He is not $200 richer as he still owns the stock, he has not traded or sold them yet. As the year goes on the stock will fluctuate down, go look at the graphs if you must. He simply has the opportunity to be $200 richer.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Galaxy SIII is thinner

From Samsung's site:

Dimension
136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
133g

From Apple's site:

Height: 4.87 inches (123.8 mm)
Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth: 0.30 inch (7.6 mm)
Weight: 3.95 ounces (112 grams)

I haven't cross checked my math with any experts, but I *think* 7.6 < 8.6

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I agree withe 99% of your views so far but not once did he say that you have will have more money post split.

All he said was they should do a split so its more affordable..... and its not like the price wont make its way back up anyway.

800% for me.

----------

How does it make it more affordable? 1 share for $233 vs. 1 share for $700? If you can't afford one share, then the cost of commissions for the trade aren't even worth it.

Depends on who your broker is. And it offers increased flexibility in terms of liquidity. You get 3 shares for the price of 1. Re read your first sentence $233 vs $700. One is cheaper than the other, hence more affordable for certain people.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Galaxy SIII is thinner with an equal battery life, LTE, more RAM and faster processor. ;)

As has already been pointed out the GS3 isn't thinner (1 mm thicker actually) and let me see if I get the rest of this.

You're saying the GS3 has equal battery life, LTE, more RAM and a faster processor (debatable as we don't even have the released product yet) in a LARGER package than the iPhone 5? Basically the iPhone 5 has comparable specs (minus the RAM) in a smaller and lighter package....

Sounds pretty awesome ;)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Can you post that research and back up your claim? I'm not attacking you, but genuinely interested. I have quite a few Apple shares and value all viewpoints and analysis on the stock.

Sure, I'll share a few things with you. Firstly, on a fundamental basis, the stock added $8b in market cap on news that added at best $500m in profit (iPhone pre-orders). This number was inline with expectations so it should have been priced in already. Many if not the majority of these orders are most likely from existing iPhone users so future revenue has to be discounted. Secondly, whenever Apple approaches or exceeds 20% of the Nasdaq, the index is rebalanced and Apple is given a lower weighting. This causes index fund owners to sell a portion of their shares and the price reacts to this. Apple is now the most widely held stock ever. Its the #1 holding of hedge funds and tech managers. When everyone wants a piece of something (and now has it), the contrarian in me says sell. From a technical perspective, its overbought. it made a new high on weaker momentum, volume has fallen since April. The MACD has diverged. That is a taste of the things I am looking at.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I'm not going to repeat myself so I will only respond to some points.

2. Innovation? This has been around for decades... nothing innovative about that approach. Being integrated has its pros and cons.

4. Now you're talking about the OS before it was comparing Apps. Since Apple doesn't create all apps on their phone it is up the the developer to make them efficient. Before iOS 5 there was no garbage collection and developers needed to manually free up RAM... lazy developers could create really inefficient RAM. Apple provides a set of APIs as does Google its up the developer to implement them appropriately.

5. So you agree Apple isn't innovative, it's been done by Nokia... point here is I'm not sure we have the same definition of innovation.

The original point was about in-cell touchscreens, which Apple developed. Stick to the point.

6. Where is the INNOVATION?

7. That's weird my Android had usb-hdmi last year... I'll take mini-usb over proprietary any day.
You mean like the dozen or so proprietary connectors Samesung has had in the last decade? Why on Earth do you need to plug the phone into a TV anyway?
Don't call people fools just because they disagree with you, makes your argument look weak.

We don't need to call you a fool to make your argument look weak. Anyone who doesn't believe Apple is an innovative company - and has the entire industry running to keep up - is either clueless or just some fandroid troll.

Which are you?

gregburbidge

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
You'd only be richer if you sold them right now. Those stocks will most likely fluctuate back down to what you paid for them soon.

I bought at $54 per share less than 10 years ago. And every time the stock hits a new high someone says it's going to drift right back down. Instead of looking at the entire market history of all stock, you might want to look at the historical track record of Apple over the past few years and then tell me how far down it's going to drift based on that information.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I understand stocks just fine. He is not $200 richer as he still owns the stock, he has not traded or sold them yet. As the year goes on the stock will fluctuate down, go look at the graphs if you must. He simply has the opportunity to be $200 richer.
Actually, he is richer -- now that Apple pays out dividends.

:D

If Apple keeps performing, it's unlikely that its stock will return to previous levels. The biggest factor is their growing cash reserves. Each quarter the stock is actually worth more because they accumulate more cash (plus they have no debt).

Barring some world catastrophe, AAPL isn't going to shed a third of its value. It's already undervalued as it is vis-a-vis their industry competitors.

Last edited:

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
You can making millions if you knowing the Japan China story. Japan could stopping selling chips to electronic factories and that could meaning Apple product no can making. That sending stocks down fast and if you knowing this you can making lots of moneys.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Cool.

Maybe this means that by 2013 they'll have enough money to offer a full line of affordable,
regularly updated, completely optionable computers and peripherals.

:crickets.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
I have to say Apple's stock price is a little nuts.

But it really shows how much faith people have in their company and it's products.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
No, the valuation is quite low. Just look at their forward P/E.

YUP WHEN IPAD MINI IS ANNOUNCE THE WOULD WILL GO CRAZY...LOL AND THE STOCK OVER 800:cool:
That would be disappointing, as $800 is only a 14% increase from today's levels.

Cool.

Maybe this means that by 2013 they'll have enough money to offer a full line of affordable,
regularly updated, completely optionable computers and peripherals.

:crickets.
No, no. That's what companies like HP do. And look at their stock. They'd lose money and market share if they took that strategy. There's very little profitability in building those kind of computers. Plus people don't like 'em. Apple has the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry.

Cheapass, flimsy cookie cutter computers don't result in happier user experiences. Ask Acer.

Ahahahahahaha!!!!!

:) :p :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.