Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, we noted that net neutrality organization Public Knowledge had accused AT&T of violating Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules in limiting use of the forthcoming FaceTime over Cellular feature in iOS 6 to customers on the carrier's new Mobile Share plans. AT&T responded to note that it was within its rights to block FaceTime over Cellular for customers on other plans because net neutrality regulations do not apply to apps that are preloaded on devices as seen with Apple's FaceTime app.

facetime_cellular_banner.jpg

GigaOM now notes that Public Knowledge has banded together with Free Press and the New America Foundation's Open Technology Institute to notify AT&T that they will indeed be filing a net neutrality complaint with the FCC over the issue.
"AT&T's decision to block FaceTime unless a customer pays for voice and text minutes she doesn't need is a clear violation of the FCC's Open Internet rules," said Free Press Policy Director Matt Wood. "It's particularly outrageous that AT&T is requiring this for iPad users, given that this device isn't even capable of making voice calls. AT&T's actions are incredibly harmful to all of its customers, including the deaf, immigrant families and others with relatives overseas, who depend on mobile video apps to communicate with friends and family."
The press release is a required 10-day advance notice of the intended action, with the group saying that the complaint will be filed "in the coming weeks".

Article Link: AT&T to Face Net Neutrality Complaint Regarding FaceTime Over Cellular Limitation

Swerthy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
So what are the chances of AT&T actually giving people FaceTime who are not on the new shared data plans?

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
I am happy with AT&T and never had a complaint, but that is a crappy move on their part. It's our data to do with it what we please.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If they lose, they'll probably pass the cost onto us, like always. AT&T continues to pass these intolerable acts, and that didn't work out too well for the British.

I hope to see their downfall in my lifetime. But they're still the only company that is decent in my area.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Can't AT&T just slow down the data connection on FaceTime calls, so as to make FaceTime unusable? Maybe so the video updates once every 10 seconds or so.

There are ways around this that won't please anyone but AT&T.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Let's be realistic here. It's either that or we lose our grandfathered unlimited data and be forced to switch to the mobile share plan a la Verizon.

Can't eat our cake and have it too.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I'm no fan of AT&T's BS on the matter, but this quote screams hyperbole.
It's not like FaceTime is the only option out there.

including the deaf, immigrant families and others with relatives overseas, who depend on mobile video apps to communicate with friends and family."

Go after AT&T and give them hell, but let's stick to the facts.
The above quote is nothing more than emotional BS.

So what are the chances of AT&T actually giving people FaceTime who are not on the new shared data plans?
Without a court order... slim to none.

It's really not fair. AT&T wouldn't let us MMS now we can't FaceTime over cellular
Really? AT&T had nothing to do with it. MMS was screw up because of the way Apple implemented on the iPhone.

Dokk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
IA, TX ... I never know
Can't AT&T just slow down the data connection on FaceTime calls, so as to make FaceTime unusable? Maybe so the video updates once every 10 seconds or so.

There are ways around this that won't please anyone but AT&T.

Seems like that would be just as much of a violation of net neutrality, wouldn't it? Actually, it might even be a bigger violation if I'm understanding the regulation correctly. That said, there's a non-zero probability I'm woefully misinformed. :D

Gulo

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Seems scheisty that they throttle those with unlimited plans at 5GB and won't allow facetime. You get LIMITED data and they're telling you what you can do with it. Maybe just another way they pressure/entice you to switch off those pesky grandfathered plans (of which I have one and am not giving it up)

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I hope AT&T looses this one ... sick of AT&T screwing its customers by limiting the features (remember how long it took AT&T to support MMS, while the rest of the world was already enjoying it on the iPhone?)

I am just afraid that if they are forced to allow it, that they will only allow it if I give up my unlimited data plan and switch to one of the stupid shared plans.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
AT&T official argument is that they can do this because it is a stock app and not a downloaded app? Maybe Apple should make a move and remove it from iOS6 and offer it as additional download ... Apple must also be sick of AT&T since they limit iPhone functionality for no good reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.