Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_a6_chip-150x168.jpg

Semiconductor analyst Linley Gwennap has posted an interesting overview (via CNET) of the series of events that led to Apple's A6 system-on-a-chip, the company's first entirely custom ARM chip design. The report notes that Apple has likely spent in excess of $500 million on the project when including the purchase prices of chip firms P.A. Semi and Intrinsity.
At this point, Apple has spent about $400 million to buy PA Semi and Intrinsity, tens of millions for a license to design its own ARM CPUs, and probably north of $100 million to support its CPU design efforts over the past four years. It appears that the end result will be that Apple ships a Cortex-A15-class CPU about three months before arch-enemy Samsung does. These three months happen to come during the big holiday buying season, during which the iPhone 5 could generate $25 billion in revenue. So that half billion dollars could be money well spent.
The report traces Apple's ARM-based chip development back to its 2008 acquisition of P.A. Semi. Beyond its license to use ARM cores, Apple's acquisition of P.A. Semi led the company to also obtain a rare license to develop its own ARM-based CPUs, as had been rumored in mid-2008. Apple then split the P.A. Semi team into two groups to focus on what would become the A4 system-on-chip and to build Apple's own ARM implementations.
While one group of PA Semi employees set to work on the Apple A4 processor using an ARM CPU core, another group began defining the microarchitecture for the new CPU. According to one source, Steve Jobs initially set an "insanely great" bar for the performance of the new CPU, but he eventually realized that his CPU team was limited by the same laws of physics that apply to everyone else. For whatever reason, the project took a long time to get through the initial definition and design phase.
As Apple iterated on standard ARM solutions for the A4, A5, and A5X, it continued to press forward on its own A6, which reportedly saw design completion in early 2010 and physical design work wrapping up about a year later. With the first samples of the A6 being delivered to Apple in the summer of 2011, the company continued to put the chip and its production processes through extensive testing ahead of full production started earlier this year for the iPhone 5.

The report notes that Apple is likely to follow a typical two-year design cycle with its own chips, working on a 64-bit ARMv8 solution for launch in 2014. As a result, Apple's 2013 devices will likely use ramped-up variants of the current A6 design, perhaps by moving from a dual-core CPU to a quad-core processor or by boosting the graphics capabilities of the package as the company did for the A5X in the third-generation iPad.

Article Link: Overview of Apple's A6 Chip Development and Future Plans

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
It doesn't take a genius to see that safari feels snappier on the iPhone 5 (which should've been called "iPhone 6"), but I would have liked to see it running on a Powerbook G5 one day. Of course, Steve probably would not have allowed that. Now that he is out of the way, Tim Cook may have restarted the effort, but we won't know until the official unveil due to the doubling-down on secrecy.

Regardless, I am looking forward to new retina iMacs and Mac Pros.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
(which should've been called "iPhone 6")

Edit: My bad, that's pretty funny

I don't care how many cores it has, as long as it is faster than the A5 by a good bit. I fully expect iOS's smart programming to carry the performance of the chip.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple's small, strategic acquisitions appear to have paid off big time. From Fingerworks (multi-touch), to Siri, and PA Semi, they have all played a big role in making the iPhone and iOS what they are today.

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
ugh, analysts

I see nonsense already, and you don't have to leave the first paragraph:

"The fact that Apple requires iPhone 5 apps to be recompiled to a new architecture variant called ARMv7s indicates that the A6 does not use the same Cortex-A9 CPUs that are in the previous Apple A5 processor."

I'm pretty sure all the apps running on my 4 will run just fine without a recompile thank you.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Apple's small, strategic acquisitions appear to have paid off big time. From Fingerworks (multi-touch), to Siri, and PA Semi, they have all played a big role in making the iPhone and iOS what they are today.

Right on! I wonder what that 1 billion instagram has done (or will do) for fb ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.