Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm thinking they have used 'integral colouring' out of the standard methods avalible which would lead to a more durable finish.

Black or white...? Black every time!!

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
iPhone 5 - black version scuffs

Quoted from Pocket-Lint's review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review

"Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.

These small scuffs will catch the light and make the phone look visibly worn. We suspect that it won't be as noticeable on the white model because the metal edging is silver, so that's worth bearing in mind when you come to order your colour choice."

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Mine will have a case on it and I like the black contrast so black is still a no brainer for me.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Agree with Lee and Spark. If a case isn't enough protection, can always switch for a white one before the 30 period ends.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Darn, I was so set on getting black, I might pick up the white now because that would drive me insane. Especially since I never use a case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Im just going to use one of these:)
MAVY1324.JPG

txflyfish

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Aaaaarrrggh shoulda listened to my gut instinct.....THERE IS NUTHN WRONG IN PICKING A GIRLY COLOR

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I have a few cases coming so hopefully does the trick.

If not I might have to go white. It's growing on me anyways (had a white 4s) but I still prefer the black on 5.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
This doesn't sound like good news... Glad I went with white!

Sounds like expected news honestly. I prefer black (and I prefer black framing my screen) so I picked black, but in my experience anodized aluminum the color rubs off, especially on corners, and there's not much you can do about. Regular wear and tear.

I personally liked the glass backs people gave Apple crap over. As long as you were careful and maybe put a cheap case on it, they weren't that bad (and supposedly easily replaceable if you did shatter them, I wouldn't know, I never did. And I'm not the poster girl for some one who never drops her phone, it is a gaurantee that something small like that that I pick up a lot will inevitably get dropped some). And they didn't scratch or crack (long as you were careful, unlike the plastic Apple uses that cracks no matter how careful you are).

Honestly, I wonder why not go to something like carbon fiber (ok, so I'm not an engineer so I don't know if that would actually be a bad idea, I know carbon fiber is weak in some regard but I forget what)? Is it just more expensive (or I guess in Apple's case maybe too thick).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.