Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Figures, its just a crappy job anodizing the aluminum. I really hope this isn't true, but I kind of had a feeling something like this would happen. .

Now with just anodizing the alum then only a certain depth of the alum is colored black just a question as how deep it is and how easily it wears away..

----------

*hand on head* Keep in mind, All those reviews are based on pre-production units! I seriously DOUBT that Apple would sell sub quality product like that. Anodized metal are HARD to rub off because those are chemical treated. I know because I work with anodized metal in shops. :)

so you saying a good anodized metal would be pretty hard to wear off then.. that makes feel better..

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Good grief it's ONE review. Can we wait a while before we start a "scuff gate"? :rolleyes:
Too late. Someone has started a thread with that title.

Back on topic, looks like the beveled edge is where the black is rubbing off, based on that photo. Half way between the sim slot and the top of the phone.

Did they try to annodize a polished, slick shiny surface? That may not work out too well.

Aston.Zagato

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
It was bound to happen..... People just love finding these gate issues ever since the antenna FUD.

I know.. I can see the headlines now: "iPhone 5 Scuffgate Mars Apple's Image" lol

----

lets hope just its one bad apple (per say)

You're good... Just venting at media with the general attitude that they have to find something majorly wrong with every new device launch lol

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Is it the same surface treatment as the iPod Nano? Because I have the 6th gen of that and I toss that thing all over the place. It gets thrown in my purse with my car keys, I've dropped it a cabillion times, and there's not a scratch on it - still pink and lovely!

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Too late. Someone has started a thread with that title.

*facepalm* Please please please tell me that's a joke...

It's a good thing I'm not a mod on here. I think I'd be seriously tempted to ban everyone who takes any little problem and puts gate after the name. it's not clever anymore people. It was barely clever with antenna-gate (actually it got obnoxious even then).

Besides, it's anodized aluminum, it is *bound* to happen. That's why I was a bit disappointed that it was aluminum and not just some metal that happened to be darker colored like that (honestly I think I saw a picture of liquid metal and it was like that). And I'd prefer glass myself. But, it is what it is. It doesn't affect how the phone will run and at least the front is glass so that will stay nice and black (and that is important since that is framing what you are looking at).

I think white will do better cause it won't do that since they are just using the aluminum color, but I like the black so much better I'm just going to deal. Though this is the first phone I don't out right dislike the white, but I still much prefer the black.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
This will drive my OCD up the wall, ill see if anything happens within the first 30 days, then return for white if i see anything happen to the anodization, even though i am going to protect it like crazy with skins and a case, i still fear something may happen, otherwise, my preference is black, i've always liked black better.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I highly doubt it "rubs" off...if you drop it or scratch it then yeah, I'm sure this may be true. Why not buy a $10 bumper to avoid these issues.

fxguru

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
we may buy any one of them, and then pick up an luxury cases to dress them up. So, don't worry about the color.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Well I alraedy ordered a bumper so I should be good.:)

I haven't decided on a case because I figured I wait a bit until some better ones are out yet.. invisible shield is good option to protect it. I can't imagine they didn't know this in testing unless this like the rMBP displays were most were good but there were a few bad displays mixed in.

jeblis

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2012
Anodized aluminum tends to wear very easily at the edges. I suspected this would be a problem when I saw colored aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 398

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
By the way, I know someone would have come up with it sooner or later, but I want to whack you over the head with a blunt object for introducing the term "scuff gate."

clumsyalex

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Perhaps it's a reason to go with the white version? In any case, I'm glad to be reading about it now, before it arrives. Since I want to get a no-contract version before the 14th and return the one I'm getting Friday, I'll be extra careful with it. :apple:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
"scuff gate"... Really? :rolleyes: *Facepalm*

It wasn't clever really when they started calling antenna gate that, it certainly is not now when it's been overused for every little thing people might get anal about on the iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.