Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

dockiphone4.jpg
When Apple introduced the iPhone 5, there was one seemingly absent accessory: a dock. Apple did introduce other Lightning accessories, including a 30-pin adapter and USB cable. They also announced HDMI and VGA cables would be coming.

In an email published on 9to5Mac, Apple Senior Vice President of Marketing Phil Schiller confirmed that they have no plans on producing an iPhone 5 dock. In a response to a customer inquiry about an Apple-made dock, Schiller wrote:
We do not plan on making a dock for the iPhone 5. Most people who use docks use them with speaker or clock systems.
Schiller signed the email Sent from my iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 launches on Friday, September 21st at 8 a.m. local time.

Article Link: Apple's Phil Schiller Reveals No Plans for an iPhone 5 Dock

fazik93

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
What?! A dock makes it so much easier. Should've replaced it with a wireless charging system.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
The knock-off makers are going to have a hard time being original then. Waiting for Twelvesouth or elago to come out with some solution.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Funny, I thought most people that used docks didn't want to mess with a cable falling off a desk/nightstand. I'm someone will make one to make up for your disconnected state with your customers.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Well that sucks.

So I guess it would be a bad idea to use the lightning adapter on the universal dock? I don't think it would fit the dock groove and the weight of it may be too much for the connector.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Well thats lame.

Hopefully 3rd party makers come through and give us stuff like this with a Lightning port.

5661243794_18977d2f27_z.jpg

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Too bad—I wanted a dock.

But third parties will make some great ones if I’m patient. Something small but with speakers, like those old donut-style ones, might be nice. May as well be iPad-ready too, for my future Lightning iPad.

(I also want a bumper case. I had wanted someone to make that kind of case long before Apple ever did. Luckily, third parties can do that too. I go caseless 90% of the time, but when hiking—or passing my phone around to groups of people—I like a bumper!)

Funny... Apple gets accused of bleeding every penny out of people while shutting out third-party accessory makers. Something tells me those complainers will ignore any evidence to the contrary...

zachimal

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
South Carolina
I'm going to miss it.

I cannot believe this article appeared literally as I was looking at my old dock and trying to find a new one online. I've been using the same dock that came with my original iPhone in 2007! Works like a champ and I'm really sorry to see it won't have a successor and will just become a paperweight.

I share your sentiment. :(

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I go caseless 90% of the time, but when hiking—or passing my phone around to groups of people—I like a bumper!)
How does a bumper help you during hiking? If it falls on the ground, it sounds like the top or the bottom glass would be as vulnerable.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
No Apple dock for the iPhone 5? That does not make me happy! I don't care about speakers and clocks and such with a dock, I just want a basic dock like I have now with my iPhone 4 dock: something into which to quickly pop my iPhone in when it needs to be charged. Bah!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
A dock is very functional. Apple, make a dock for the new iPhone! :D

At home:
- On your nightstand, your iPhone docked, Airplay sound and video to AppleTV and/or Airplay Speakers.

At work:
- Your iPhone docked on your desk, so it's not floating around and getting covered by paperwork. Always at sight in the right place. Easy to see who's calling.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
See? That's what I'm afraid with the new Lightning dock. I use iPod Universal Dock a lot and it's one of a kind accesory which converts your iPod/iPhone into a jukebox connected to my audio amp/receiver instead of listen to music via crappy headphone.

I can control music playback via Apple IR remote which is comfortable.
Now it's gone along with good ol' dock. Bummer

Speaker and clock dock? They're overpriced yet puny sounding sound system. Trash products.!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.