Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Physical mockups of Apple's rumored "iPad mini", presumably based on leaked design specs from case manufacturers, have appeared with increasing frequency in recent weeks, and Gizchina.com has now obtained one of the dummy units to share new photos and a video giving an impression of how the device might look and feel. The dummy units are widely available through Chinese online marketplace Taobao for roughly $15.

ipad_ipad_mini_mockup_iphone_1.jpg
Similar mockups in both white and black have appeared over the past several weeks showing the rumored thin side bezel design that would make the device more comfortable to hold in one hand than a uniform bezel such as that seen on the full-size iPad. The video also offers a good overview of the external features of the device.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPad mini at an October media event once the publicity from the iPhone 5 launch begins to subside.

ipad_ipad_mini_mockup_iphone_2.jpg

Article Link: Hands-On Video with 'iPad Mini' Physical Mockup

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Please happen, please happen, please happen!

Would be kind of a perfect size for a in car navigation/entertainment system as well.

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
My Prediction:
-16gb
-LTE Standard (no wifi only model)
-$399

That puts it $100 over the iPod touch, $230 less than regular iPad equivalent (with LTE). My reason for this prediction is that apple will view this as an ultra portable devide, way more portable than the iPad, thus they will bundle LTE with every model. People will eat this up, even though it's hundreds more than android 7-inchers.

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Two words:

NEXUS 7

Cheaper than this will be AND harnesses the POWER of ANDROID with GOOGLE maps

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I like that guy's accent. It's like a blend of everything—the accent of the future.

Or I'm really bad at identifying accents.

Last edited:

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Anyone else planning to buy the iPad Mini even though they have an iPad?

I am, because I got an iPad when my work machine was a 13" MacBook Pro and the iPad was sufficiently lighter and more portable for times I didn't need the extra capabilities. Now that my work computer is an 11" Air, the iPad is no longer more portable in comparison. I have really high hopes for this iPad Mini, and if it exists, will be a day 1 purchase for me.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I really don't get the mini form factor. I tried a Nexus 7 and wasn't thrilled with the size compared to my iPad. My iPad I can use instead of my laptop, the Nexus 7 size just couldn't work as well to do tasks like Citrix desktop etc.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Apple, please stop with the Android stuff. I don't want any more screen sizes to juggle when I'm making apps. It's starting to feel like BlackBerry again.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I can't tell, but is that a Galaxy S3 between the iPhone and iPad?
Do people really like holding something that big to their ear to talk?
... sarcasm for not understanding why some want a giant phone ...

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
My Prediction:
-16gb
-LTE Standard (no wifi only model)
-$399

That puts it $100 over the iPod touch, $230 less than regular iPad equivalent (with LTE). My reason for this prediction is that apple will view this as an ultra portable devide, way more portable than the iPad, thus they will bundle LTE with every model. People will eat this up, even though it's hundreds more than android 7-inchers.

I predict 8GB standard, at $249. That's cheaper than the new iPod Touch, but also has much less memory (base iPod Touch has 32GB). WiFi only, but LTE will be available.

Now, I think there's a reasonable chance it may have the A6 chip. It will have a significant performance advantage over other 7" tablets. If they DON'T use the A6, then that means it's basically just a product designed to catch up with competitors.

But why would Apple make a Mini with twice the CPU performance of the bigger iPad3?

The iPad3 is halfway through the product cycle. So don't think of the Mini as an afterthought to the current iPad line, think of it as a "warm up" act for the next iPad4.

In the short term, Apple may cannibalize sales of the larger iPad, but on the other hand, I think the iPad4 will be an absolute monster. Think quad-core A6, and another doubling of the GPU capabilities. And a 12-hour battery life (assuming the newer low-power retina display is used).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.