Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's launch of iOS 6, Apple has also released OS X 10.8.2 to the public. The update is currently available via the Software Update functionality in the Mac App Store.

10_8_2.jpg
The update includes a number of enhancements, most notably Facebook integration and Game Center. It also includes support for several features integrating with iOS 6, such as Passbook passes and iMessage/FaceTime access via phone number.
This update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users, and includes new features and fixes:

Facebook

- Single sign on for Facebook
- Adds Facebook as an option when sharing links and photos
- See Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
- Facebook notifications now appear in Notification Center

Game Center

- Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail, or Messages
- Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
- Added Facebook "Like" button for games
- Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement

Other new features

- Adds Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
- iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
- You can now add passes to Passbook (on your iPhone or iPod touch) from Safari and Mail on your Mac
- FaceTime can now receive calls sent to your phone number
- New shared Reminders lists
- New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
- Dictation now supports additional languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
- Dictionary app now includes a French definition dictionary
- Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to Contacts
Direct downloads available through Apple's site include:

- OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.2 (665.48 MB)
- OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.2 (Combo) (665.39 MB)

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X 10.8.2 with Facebook Integration and Game Center

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Wow ... Apple must really trust its new data centers to have two larger activations like this on the same day ... hope it works! :)

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
What about system updates.
* Graphics glitches
* 2 Monitor issues some people have at boot time (freezes at blue screen)
* Issues where background images dissapear when coming out of screensaver or sleep. (if you do a "killall Dock" in the terminal it comes back, but shouldn't have to do that)
* I'm sure there's general perfocmances that could be gained.

I'm all for new features, but I'm even more interested in under-the-hood, functionality, glitches, performance, etc...

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Is it safe to download it now? I am still on Lion holding back before I make upgrade, please tell me it is.

Dctape

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Downloading now. Moving quicker than I expected. I really expected the Apple Servers to be swamped today.

-M

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.