Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple having released both iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2 today, the company is also taking care of OS X Lion users with the release of OS X 10.7.5.

10_7_5.jpg

The update includes a number of enhancements, including the activation of the Gatekeeper feature from OS X Mountain Lion that allows users to limit for security reasons what types of apps can be installed on the user's computer. The feature has been present in OS X Lion since OS X 10.7.3, but has been hidden from the public.
The 10.7.5 update is recommended for all OS X Lion users and includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac. It also includes Gatekeeper, a new security feature that helps you keep your Mac safe from malicious software by giving you more control over what apps are installed on your Mac.

The 10.7.5 update also includes fixes that:

- Resolve an issue where icons in Launchpad may get rearranged after a restart
- Improve Wi-Fi reliability for iMac (Late 2009 and newer)
- Resolve an issue using Spotlight to search an SMB server
- Improve compatibility connecting to Active Directory servers
Direct downloads available through Apple's site include:

- OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo) (1.91 GB)
- OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client) (1.14 GB)
- OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 Server (1.22 GB)
- OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 Server Combo (1.99 GB)

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X 10.7.5 with Gatekeeper

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
REALLY hope they fixed every last thing they could find since this is almost certainly the last Lion update.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I'm surprised they released this. Gatekeeper is really only protecting Apples revenue stream though, so perhaps their extreme greed motivated it.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Security updates should continue land until 10.9 arrives next year (if they keep the yearly release schedule going).

But this will likely be the last OS update, security updates are something different.

I'm surprised they released this. Gatekeeper is really only protecting Apples revenue stream though, so perhaps their extreme greed motivated it.

You obviously have no clue about Gatekeeper. It's about allowing secure apps that are NOT on the app store, so apple doesn't make a cent. And it can be overridden with a right click or completely disabled.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Crap, going to have to update Safari as well, crap!

1.23GB why not just replace the whole ***** OS. That's ridiculous!

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
LOL! Yes. I always wait now for the .2 release after being burned in the past on early releases. Especially true if you have an older Mac. I will see how 10.8.2 does now before upgrading.

Me too, but I always wait for the .3 release. Lion (now at 10.7.5) is very stable and reliable. No need to rush.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004

With posts like that, I'll bet no one was more pleased than you when Macrumors got rid of the downvote button ;)

And, for the person that asked.. 10.7.5 = 11G56

randygentry

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
This update breaks Canon EOS Utility program.

This 10.7.5 makes Canon EOS Utility program crash upon opening and tethering to the camera. I can no longer tether the cameras to the computer to get live view etc.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Does anyone know if this updates Safari 5 to 6?

There's no way I'm letting that happen again until RSS is fixed and the search bar's back.

*EDIT* To answer my own question, no. It leaves it as it is.

Last edited:

jbrjake

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Gatekeeper default setting in Lion

Can anyone confirm that Gatekeeper in 10.7.5 defaults to "App store and identified developers" the way it does in 10.8, and not "Anywhere"? I installed it on one Mac and it seemed to start off in "Anywhere" mode, which essentially turns Gatekeeper off...

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Can anyone confirm that Gatekeeper in 10.7.5 defaults to "App store and identified developers" the way it does in 10.8, and not "Anywhere"? I installed it on one Mac and it seemed to start off in "Anywhere" mode, which essentially turns Gatekeeper off...
I just updated to OS X 10.7.5 and the default was "Anywhere."

Attachments

• Gatekeeper.png
    Gatekeeper.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 293
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.