Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Among its slew of software updates released today, Apple has also pushed out MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update 1.0, which brings several fixes for Apple's new professional notebook released in June.
This update is recommended to MacBook Pro with Retina display (mid 2012) models. This update resolves an issue which can cause the system to hang during heavy processor loads, and resolves an issue where NetBoot does not function properly when using an Ethernet adapter.
macbook_pro_retina_efi_update_1_0.jpg

The EFI update should be available through Software Update in the Mac App Store once OS X 10.8.2 has been installed.

Update: Apple has released several other firmware updates for various machines:

- MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.9 (4.29 MB)
This update is recommended for MacBook Pro (mid 2012) models. This update resolves an issue which can cause the system to hang during heavy processor loads.
- MacBook Air SMC Update v1.7 (658 KB)
This update enables Power Nap support on MacBook Air (Late 2010) computers and is recommended for all users running OS X v10.8.2 or later.
- MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.5 (4.76 MB)
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (mid 2012) models. This update fixes an issue where Turbo Boost does not activate when using Boot Camp, and resolves an issue where NetBoot does not function properly when using an Ethernet adapter.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update 1.0

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Oh good.. Cause I have TOTALLY experienced these issues.

I suppose there COULD be something to fix the display snuck into this update..

Here's to hoping.

----------

Oh good.. Cause I have TOTALLY experienced these issues. (sarcasm)

I suppose there COULD be something to fix the display snuck into this update..

Here's to hoping.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
RETINA - meaning mountain lion only

I've had so many crashes on my RMBP I hope this solves it. Pretty sure it's the fault of the nvidia card overheating.

Um what?

I'm 10.7.4 LION on RMBP and I get 10.7.5 update as well as Retina EFI update.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Installing along with 10.8.2. Hoping that the pair of them will get my battery life back up to where it should be, though I've not had any of the issues described in the EFI update blurb.

10.7 definitely shipped with the first round of RMBPs, though any models bought now may have 10.8 pre-installed.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I'm still having video card errors on my RMBP where the whole machine locks up. Finally called Apple, I'm just going to bring it into the store tomorrow. Sick of these freezing issues.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm still having video card errors on my RMBP where the whole machine locks up. Finally called Apple, I'm just going to bring it into the store tomorrow. Sick of these freezing issues.

I called them too. If I enable WebGL in Safari, then use Google's MapsGL the whole system freezes. I called Apple today; they were very nice and are looking into it at the moment.

JDeezy808

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Funny enough, just today (i've had this rMBP for a few weeks now) i loaded Trine2 and it never executed, and i couldn't close it out. I then tried to open up a lotus forms viewer and that never loaded either. The system then proceeded to give me the black screen of death. I rebooted, same issue. I then googled to find an answer and found the release of both the new .2 update and the EFI update. I updated both and now it seems that everything is a bit snappier and i havent had an issue loading or unloading anything. Which i wouldnt have noticed, but i scale my res to "more space" (i'm a Pro Broadcast Videographer) and sometimes loading my applications folder(grid) comes up jittery... not any more :) However, my 2010 MBP never had any of these issues, and i paid a heck of a lot more for my rMBP.... yeesh. Good thing i love this computer.

----------

Retina MacBook Pro came with Lion installed.

If your rMBP shipped with Lion, you are entitled to a free copy of MLion... that is if you like the new Jazz....

unger420

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
1: First wave retina pro buyers shipped with LION installed, not ML.
2: This update was also pushed out for 2102 MacBook Air models

dvdrsmth

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Update will not install on MBPr 2.3 with 10.8.2

This is interesting....

I updated to 10.8.2 and checked software update afterward and I did not see the EFI update.
So, I went to Apple and manually downloaded the update and after unpacking and executing the installer it states that, "This software is not supported on your system."

Looks like the 10.8.2 and EFI updates are applied at the same time and I was just not paying attention.

Here is the current EFI and SMC info from system report:

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

The previous version of the Boot ROM was: MBP101.00EE.B00

On a related note, it looks like folks _may_ want to do an SMC reset after applying the firmware update to ensure a trouble-free post-update experience.

Here's the why and how:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6606352204
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Last edited:

dvdrsmth

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Its not showing up for me and I'm not sure if it installed already.. How do I check?

From your Apple menu select "About this Mac" -> "More Info" -> "System Report..."

Reference the Hardware Overview page and you will find "Boot ROM Version"

If your Boot ROM Version is: MBP101.00EE.B02 you have the update
If your Boot ROM Version is: MBP101.00EE.B00 you DO NOT have the update

Last edited:

patopipp

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
MBP 13''mid 2012 also has this update. MacbookPro EFI 2.9 update. Boot ROM version MBP91.00D3.B08.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.