Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng

Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
firewood
macrumors 603

Dumping armv6 support

So it looks like we'll need to drop support for armv6 devices, such as the iPhone 3G, to use Apple's latest Xcode.

I assume that a huge growing customer base of new iPhone 5 and new iPod Touch owners will absolutely swamp out the tiny loss of potential iPhone 3G app customers. But does anyone have some numbers on what that percentage of current app buying customers those older devices might represent? 5%? 1%?

Is anyone expecting complaints or bad reviews from customers when they can no longer get big fixes, updates or restore apps from iTunes (which seems to dump working apps in the trash after any update) with their older devices?
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:15 AM   #2
KarlJay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
So it looks like we'll need to drop support for armv6 devices, such as the iPhone 3G, to use Apple's latest Xcode.

I assume that a huge growing customer base of new iPhone 5 and new iPod Touch owners will absolutely swamp out the tiny loss of potential iPhone 3G app customers. But does anyone have some numbers on what that percentage of current app buying customers those older devices might represent? 5%? 1%?

Is anyone expecting complaints or bad reviews from customers when they can no longer get big fixes, updates or restore apps from iTunes (which seems to dump working apps in the trash after any update) with their older devices?
I didn't know or hear anything about this dropping of support. It wouldn't be a big surprise given Apple's track record.
I'd actually put the percentage much higher. In fact I think someone could do very well supporting older devices.

One other thing to consider is that if this is true, the older devices would drop like a rock in value/used market price. This makes them a ripe target for lower income people and value minded businesses.
KarlJay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3
clarky07
macrumors newbie

I have <2% of my users on anything below iOS 4.3. There aren't very many people still using the 3g. it is definitely not something you need to be worrying about supporting.
clarky07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng