Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yukycg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
I don't think it is an ATT iphone 5 as the sim is locked. So is it a leaked HK version or US CDMA version?

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
Lots of people are waiting to have a 'lucky draw' this morning on the Hong Kong Apple Online Store as well. One person may have got lots of credit cards and addresses. Those cards and addresses in fact belong to the same person. The reason why they do this is to increase the chance of being drawn.

Once they are lucky enough (get a chance to buy the new iPhone), they will probably buy 8-10 iPhone 5 and sell them to people like 'Mr Lo' for money. (Buy low, sell high) And then 'Mr Lo' will sell those iPhone 5 to Chinese nouveau riches coming from mainland China.

The 'speculation' in iPhone 5 will end once the iPhone 5 is available in more Asian regions, say China.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Hope these IMEI's are blacklisted and reported stolen and tracked down.

No one legally obtained these phones, especially not in that quantity, days prior to release.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Yeah...so since these aren't legally available for sale anywhere right now, these are black market, stolen phones. Probably out the back door of Foxconn.

Or maybe Samsung.

Not sure if you knew this but Apple actually doesn't make the laws in China. Just sayin

No clue why you are inferring the phones are stolen.

NismoRoadster

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cerritos, CA
Quimby gives a released Homer an apology and asks him when he will be able to flood the town with iPhone5s.

"I'm not in that business anymore," replies Homer.

But Fat Tony tells Quimby, "Four minutes."

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Not sure if you knew this but Apple actually doesn't make the laws in China. Just sayin

No clue why you are inferring the phones are stolen.

How are you suggesting they would have paid Apple, exactly? When Apple isn't yet accepting payments or making shipments in any region, and certainly weren't earlier this week when the phones must have been acquired?

mercok

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
If the US is not allowed to purchase unlocked version on day 1 for this reason, why would Canada be allowed?

Not too sure about this logic.

Yes you are right.. If iphone 5 unlocked release in the US, i think the price not gonna be high.
I check in ebay all iphone 5 unlocked 16GB from canada seller the price over $1000, that's crazy right

lucas107

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
who would be stupid enough to buy one for that massively inflated price when it launches only in a couple of days for real LOL.

many people because the newest iPhone is trendy for a bit. also a few hundred dollars isn't much for some people. why was Samsung mentioned at all? grow up please. your (not this quote person)the reason android users find it hard to read the comments here.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
problems with grey markets is warranty issues. If you buy something grey market and it breaks it is either impossible or a major PITA to get it serviced from the manufacturer.

There is a huge grey market business on electronics in America. If you ever bought a camera online because "OMG, I can't believe how cheap they are selling this compared to Best Buy", you bought a grey market item. If you bought a camera from almost any store in New York besides the heavies (or certainly any online store listed with a new york address that isn't a heavy), you probably bought a grey market. Adorama even admits it and has grey market listed next to some of their products to let the buyer know.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't know about ya'll but I feel uneasy every time I come back to the MR homepage and see Mr. Lo staring at me with his iP5.....

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT!?

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
How are you suggesting they would have paid Apple, exactly? When Apple isn't yet accepting payments or making shipments in any region, and certainly weren't earlier this week when the phones must have been acquired?

Well sure there's that. iOS 6 came out today, so for some reason my judgement was clouded. ;)

I read "already managed to obtain limited stocks" as the vast majority would be grey. You are correct that he and I'm sure many others do have a few that 'fell off the truck'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.