Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Okay, I've elected to get the 4s on Virgin Mobile (US) for the long-term savings and a lack of a plan. The one thing that gets me is that a 4S from them is $650. The same phone unlocked from Apple is $550.

I can't get the unlocked version and use it with Virgin Mobile, can I? My research indicates this likely won't work. I would just hate paying an extra $100 for a phone that will still be locked.

Thoughts/advice? Any way around this?

Last edited:

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Okay, I've elected to get the 4s on Virgin Mobile (US) for the long-term savings and a lack of a plan. The one thing that gets me is that a 4S from them is $650. The same phone unlocked from Apple is $550.

I can't get the unlocked version and use it with Virgin Mobile, can I? My research indicates this likely won't work. I would just hate paying an extra $100 for a phone that will still be locked.

Thoughts/advice? Any way around this?

There's no way around it. The intent of the virgin mobile plan is to help sprint fulfilled their commitment to buy iPhones, so you are being offered a low monthly rate on the condition that you are buying the iPhone locked to the virgin mobile network

DanielQ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Ah okay.

Right now I'm considering getting an ATT or unlocked iphone 4s and using it on StraightTalk instead.

Is it possible to use a Verizon iPhone 4s on straighttalk? They seem to be more widely available on the used iphone market. I know it's a different network/frequency or whatever, but the hardware's the same, so there should be a way to enable it, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.