macrumors 6502a

ping 192.168.0.1
AppleMacFinder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:08 AM   #102
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
I do not consider iTunes a service (like email). It is a store app. To be honest, it's crap. Why is it not available on the web? When it was only music it was pretty amazing, but it really needs an overhaul. It is impossible to "browse". You really need the name of what you are looking for to find it. No video previews of apps...just screen grabs, why? It's useless on iOS unless you know the name of what you want. It's a horrible experience. Try browsing through a list of 200 apps. Select one and read about it, now try going back to where you were....oh, looks like you have to start over. Awful, just awful.

iCloud? You are kidding right? So how exactly does that whole photostream thing work? Nobody seems to be able to explain it. And if all you own is an iOS device (no computer) where do all your pictures go if there is no where to store them in the cloud after 1,000 photos? Dropbox is what Apple always wanted iDisk to be. They turned Jobs down when he wanted to purchase them. Google knows services. GMail rarely goes down and when it does, everyone knows it and is restored in a matter of hours. That can't be said for Apple's Mail service - whatever it's called now (iTools, DotMac, DotMe, iCloud). It can go down and you never hear a peep out of Apple.

They need to stick to what they know. Great hardware and great OS.
All valid criticisms and some apple fanboy STILL managed to downrank your comment.

Really amazing how devoted people are to a BRAND.
wikus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:43 AM   #103
Thana6tos
macrumors newbie

OMG! It's about time, it's rather boring and annoying

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
I do not consider iTunes a service (like email). It is a store app. To be honest, it's crap. Why is it not available on the web? When it was only music it was pretty amazing, but it really needs an overhaul. It is impossible to "browse". You really need the name of what you are looking for to find it. No video previews of apps...just screen grabs, why? It's useless on iOS unless you know the name of what you want. It's a horrible experience. Try browsing through a list of 200 apps. Select one and read about it, now try going back to where you were....oh, looks like you have to start over. Awful, just awful.

iCloud? You are kidding right? So how exactly does that whole photostream thing work? Nobody seems to be able to explain it. And if all you own is an iOS device (no computer) where do all your pictures go if there is no where to store them in the cloud after 1,000 photos? Dropbox is what Apple always wanted iDisk to be. They turned Jobs down when he wanted to purchase them. Google knows services. GMail rarely goes down and when it does, everyone knows it and is restored in a matter of hours. That can't be said for Apple's Mail service - whatever it's called now (iTools, DotMac, DotMe, iCloud). It can go down and you never hear a peep out of Apple.

They need to stick to what they know. Great hardware and great OS.
Love your comment....... U got it, period!
Thana6tos is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:09 AM   #104
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

I know a few people in the music business who said that getting Ping setup for their artists and such was a real pain in the butt, too. I'm not surprised that this didn't work out. It was a neat idea on the surface, but it just never felt right at the same time.
iPadPublisher is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:11 AM   #105
clukas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
In fairness, Gmail is MUCH better than other services like yahoo! mail.
Ok, with the exception of Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps then .
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:18 AM   #106
huffcw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
just a guess - they'll take out video soon to match the music/video split on the iOS devices.

Never used ping, glad to see it go.
They should just mirror the apps on iOS:

- Video (simple and effective app for playing back your video files)
- Music (simple and effective app for playing back your music files)
- iTunes (store front for exploring and purchasing new stuff, viewing your purchase history, etc - although as someone else already mentioned, it would make more sense to be called iMedia since it is more than just music - but they're hanging on to the name because it has such strong brand recognition) -and they need to do a major overhaul on the overall user experience of the store

Also, I hate the way you have to have iTunes open to stream to Apple TV and other iOS devices. I wish there was just some background service that allowed access to the Home Sharing feature without iTunes.

Here's some evidence that they are looking to make changes: www.itunespulse.com

Last edited by huffcw; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
huffcw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #107
chuckiej
macrumors regular

They should have bought last.fm but when do they ever listen to me?! LOL

I do like hitting that little thumbs up button on my iPhone and it tweets that I like that song. If what they do next is that simple, so be it.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:32 AM   #108
Shotgun OS
macrumors 6502a

Spotify has a Last.fm plugin, so I could see Apple integrating it into iTunes. As for Ping, I never had high hopes for it, and I'm glad Apple can admit when something hasn't worked.

Space Gray iPhone 5S | 15" Macbook Pro | White iPad 2
Shotgun OS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:43 AM   #109
ixodes
macrumors 601

Ping is in the same category of usefulness (or uselessness) as Siri & Face Time for my purposes. Requiring a change in workflow I'm not going to make.

All three are duds, yet I have nothing against them. Your mileage may vary.

I'm probably in the minority, and that's just fine by me

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun OS View Post
I'm glad Apple can admit when something hasn't worked.
Apples admission is so rare I did a double take.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:56 AM   #110
barredfreak
macrumors 6502

... Ping? Who?
barredfreak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:57 AM   #111
Ingot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
I would have been into it if it included movies, so you could follow certain actors, producers, directors, key grips, etc., and find info on upcoming projects, etc.
OH I know. I would love an easier way to follow Lester B Tinklebottom who in my mind is the best Key Grip out there. His work in BASEketball was just groundbreaking! I was so sad that the Academy passed him over that year. He did bounce back though in the Star Wars series.
Ingot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:23 PM   #112
majordude
macrumors 68020

Of course.

I signed up yesterday and sent invites to everyone this morning.

Boy do I look like a tool.
majordude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:30 PM   #113
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

One more thing to do, Game Center..
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:25 AM   #114
R94N
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
I think Last.fm integration would be a lot better than Ping, but Last.fm's pretty much dead too.
Yeah, that way I wouldn't need to have an app just to scrobble my iTunes plays. Also I think Last.fm is ticking along nicely. I don't think it's a dead community by any means.
R94N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:55 AM   #115
marcusj0015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R94N View Post
Yeah, that way I wouldn't need to have an app just to scrobble my iTunes plays. Also I think Last.fm is ticking along nicely. I don't think it's a dead community by any means.
No, it's not dead, but there's no more ads about it, it's lost all of the mindshare it had, all non regulars have forgotten about it.
marcusj0015 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #116
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post
No, it's not dead, but there's no more ads about it, it's lost all of the mindshare it had, all non regulars have forgotten about it.
I disagree. Last.fm is still growing, it's very popular, it has deep integration with a lot of popular apps and websites.
314631 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:36 PM   #117
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordude View Post
Of course.

I signed up yesterday and sent invites to everyone this morning.

Boy do I look like a tool.
Thats ok you still have MySpace to look forward to
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:07 PM   #118
Spigen SGP
Banned

interesting responses! no one likes it.
Spigen SGP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:37 PM   #119
Zarkizon
macrumors member

I just saw this in iTunes this afternoon:

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion