Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
What the crap is going on here?

I Restarted a few times.
Have a an active / logged in UK Apple iD.
Using a Hong Kong iPad.
iPad is localised to English.
Web accessed via a UK VPN.

I Downloaded the OTA iOS 6 update in China with no VPN on and this is the joy that greets me in iOS maps.

I'm guessing perhaps a fix will involve downloading iOS 6 in iTunes over my VPN to get a non Chinese version of iOS, but what are they trying to pull here? It's baffling!

anyone else have a similar issue?

Attachments

• china maps.PNG
    china maps.PNG
    685.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
I'm using an australian ipad2, on wifi here with ios6, I have the same problem. I cannot find anything from home.

Also cannot watch any youtube, its asking me to install flash in teh safari window. paperweight device.:mad:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Not sure about youtube myself, maybe all the vid's im trying to load are HTML 5, but I'm going through my offices VPN anyway.

It will still show international locations in the ‘map’ view but restrict it to roads only, no buildings, no 3D.
I get no satellite view outside of China (PRC) - it doesn’t even show satellite imagery for Taiwan.

I've found a couple of time’s I’ve managed to trick the maps into offering me the 3D mode, at which point it will load buildings and satellite imagery for international locations. (in both map and satellite view)

But overall this is a ridiculous and baffling restriction.

One can only hope it gets fixed quickly.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Not sure about youtube myself, maybe all the vid's im trying to load are HTML 5, but I'm going through my offices VPN anyway.

It will still show international locations in the ‘map’ view but restrict it to roads only, no buildings, no 3D.
I get no satellite view outside of China (PRC) - it doesn’t even show satellite imagery for Taiwan.

I've found a couple of time’s I’ve managed to trick the maps into offering me the 3D mode, at which point it will load buildings and satellite imagery for international locations. (in both map and satellite view)

But overall this is a ridiculous and baffling restriction.

One can only hope it gets fixed quickly.

How'd you manage to "trick" it into showing the 3D maps?

You'll see the autonavi logo in the bottom right. That's the Chinese company Apple contracted with to bring Chinese maps to the app. I also am trying to find ways to access international data without having to use Autonavi for the whole world. VPN clearly isn't the answer.

DOScrash

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
China-specific issue

@iZac, I'm having the same problem in Beijing with both my Singapore-purchased iPhone and U.S.-purchased third-generation iPad.

I don't think there are different versions of iOS for each country -- should be the same version everywhere. Although, my suspicion is that at some point in the installation or setup process, the iDevice detects you are in China and unlocks Weibo integration and the use of Autonavi rather than TomTom for mapping data in an effort to be China-centric.

What I don't know is how to toggle this so you can go back to using the TomTom map data for the rest of the world, which would give you satellite view outside of China and access to 3D flyovers in U.S. cities.

One question I have for you is how you tricked it into displaying 3D buildings? I have set all my settings to English and the U.S. region in an effort to trick -- including using VPN and turning off location services, with no luck.

@lookingglass, let me know if you figure it out.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
How'd you manage to "trick" it into showing the 3D maps?

You'll see the autonavi logo in the bottom right. That's the Chinese company Apple contracted with to bring Chinese maps to the app. I also am trying to find ways to access international data without having to use Autonavi for the whole world. VPN clearly isn't the answer.

Sorry, "Trick" was the wrong word, every now and then it will seem to randomly bring up the "3D" option button next to location services. As soon as that is available it lets me view world satellite imagery in 3D, and activates all the buildings on the ‘map’ view. I’m afraid there is no seeming reason when it lets me view in 3D.

This is exceptionally frustrating. If I find a process I can replicate to activate it, I’ll be sure to tell you!

Ah Thelookingglass, DOScrash, I was wondering why it said "Autonavi" in the bottom corner, now I know, cheers!

EDIT:

Furthermore, now you've both mercifully informed me that it's simply that TomTom doesn't have the detailed mapping information of China that AutoNavi does, it makes a LOT more sense. I was thinking that this was some draconian act pushed on Apple by the Chinese government to limit people's information outside of China. I apologise for that now!

I guess it means that without a toggle to switch between the mapping services, or a smarter system to automatically switch between them, it makes iOS maps exceptionally flawed, when Googles service offers that flawlessly. Their own dedicated Maps App can't come fast enough!

Last edited:

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Having the same problem with my HK iPhone. Frankly I don't give a rats arse as to who supplies the data but don't give me Chinese on an international maps and at least give me the vectors instead of bitmap tiles if nothing else. Apples maps looked like a trade off, well now they are a plain downgrade!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1446922/

Bitmap_i_OS_6_map_of_California.jpg

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
Strange problem

I must admit it all does seem odd. I had exactly the same problem (am based in Shanghai). However, I logged into my VPN and then could see the rest of the world. It's a hassle but at least it works. This does need an explanation from Apple though.

I just checked the App Store to see if Google has released an app to replace the one Apple removed but can't find anything yet. Hopefully they will soon.

alex00100

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Moscow, Russia
I have been in china (Beijing) recently with iOS 6 beta downloaded in Russia (I'm Russian) which worked just fine at home, worked the same in china as you say. I think it's because Chinese government blocks all and everything. Use VPN or face it. It's normal. Not a bug nor it is because of Chinese version of iOS.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I must admit it all does seem odd. I had exactly the same problem (am based in Shanghai). However, I logged into my VPN and then could see the rest of the world. It's a hassle but at least it works. This does need an explanation from Apple though.

I just checked the App Store to see if Google has released an app to replace the one Apple removed but can't find anything yet. Hopefully they will soon.

That's odd. VPN won't work for me. Where is your server located?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
VPN server is in the US.

To Alex, Google Maps worked fine, and so does google.com, so can't be a China censorship issue. It just seems to be an IOS 6 issue.

This issue has made the BBC so it is definitely getting some publicity. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19659736

Thanks. Sorry, can I just pin you down on what exactly you've been able to see through your VPN? I'm running through a VPN in the US, too. I can see the entire world in "standard" view, but it's clearly the Autonavi maps since Autonavi remains plastered in the bottom right and there's Chinese writing everywhere. When I switch to "satellite", I only see China and nothing else. This is running on VPN.

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
Through my VPN I have no restrictions. I just checked out Times Square and can see it in standard view, satellite, and also 3D maps. See attached.

Not sure why you are still having a problem. Sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 101

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Through my VPN I have no restrictions. I just checked out Times Square and can see it in standard view, satellite, and also 3D maps. See attached.

Not sure why you are still having a problem. Sorry.

Interesting. And you have location services on so that when you open the Maps app, it clearly knows you're in Shanghai and not in the US (despite your using a VPN server in the US)?

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
Yes. If I touch the 'locate' button it identifies exactly where I am. Maybe try closing everything down, start your VPN and them fire things back up again.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I also can't access it with my personal VPN (cloak) and my office VPN is perhaps the factor that is intermittently allowing me access to the full maps service. ugh, what a pain in the ass! All we need is another bulls**t Chinese net restriction that we have to work around.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Works fine in Hong Kong. As soon as the GPS detected I was in HK, the maps changed to the TomTom version and I was able to see 3D maps.

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
It is all pretty weird. Without VPN my iPad uses Autonavi, with VPN it switches to Tomtom - so far so good and I understand this. In satelite view though, only China is visible. Switch to VPN and restart the map app and I am now using Tomtom. I can now see the world in either map or satelite view - although the satelite view of Shanghai is probably 10 years old. My location shows accurately.

Now my iPhone. The only map I can see is Tomtom. This is bad for China as Shanghai data is sparse. Also, my location is about 1kilometer off. My phone uses 3G, my iPad wifi only. Go figure!

nok123

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Solution to Force AutoNavi Maps in China

It is all pretty weird. Without VPN my iPad uses Autonavi, with VPN it switches to Tomtom - so far so good and I understand this. In satelite view though, only China is visible. Switch to VPN and restart the map app and I am now using Tomtom. I can now see the world in either map or satelite view - although the satelite view of Shanghai is probably 10 years old. My location shows accurately.

Now my iPhone. The only map I can see is Tomtom. This is bad for China as Shanghai data is sparse. Also, my location is about 1kilometer off. My phone uses 3G, my iPad wifi only. Go figure!

I've got an iPhone 4 and since my upgrade to iOS 6, I've only been able to see the Tom Tom maps here in China, not AutoNavi and had the same issue with the wrong location. However, I just found the solution:

http://www.techinasia.com/autonavi-responds-apple-maps-fiasco-blame-tomtom/

AutoNavi has even offered a workaround fix for Chinese users who want the AutoNavi maps back:

Close the Maps app
Set your system time to seven days in the future. (So if today is Sept. 25, set it for Oct. 2)
Reset the phone
Open Maps, if the Autonavi logo appears in the bottom right, you’re all set.
Of course, this fix does nothing to rectify many of the complains about Maps, some of which seem to be issues with AutoNavi’s maps themselves. (For example, the terrible map of Taiwan is an AutoNavi map issue and won’t be fixed by getting rid of the TomTom maps in China). It also isn’t clear whether you have to keep your system set seven days into the future for this “fix” to keep working; if so, that would be horribly inconvenient.

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
Thanks for this. Interesting workaround. In frustration I switched to Baidu. Their map is pretty accurate - I suspect they use Autonavi. The only problem is that everything is in Mandarin meaning it takes me twice as long to do anything.

It's ironic that Apple brought out their own map app and deleted Google with the intention that people use it. All that's happened is that I now use a completely different map.

The Tomtom map is completely useless. My location is constantly out by at least 1 city block - in Shanghai blocks are massive.

Shame on Apple!

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
As a follow up, I changed the date and reset as described, and Autonavi did appear. However, it shows my location as worse than Tomtom does. I changed my system date back to today and it did get the location accurate - I assume this is because GPS needs an accurate date.

I switched my phone off and then on again to test out a restart and the map default did stay on Autonavi so, for now, it seems to work.

Amazing someone managed to work out this workaround. Thanks to whomever!

victorfuts

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
I have been in china (Beijing) recently with iOS 6 beta downloaded in Russia (I'm Russian) which worked just fine at home, worked the same in china as you say. I think it's because Chinese government blocks all and everything. Use VPN or face it. It's normal. Not a bug nor it is because of Chinese version of iOS.

Tomtom's map server is not blocked. It's just apple's localisation thing. Once iPhone detects that you are using a SIM car from Chinese carrier(CMCC, Unicom etc.) or accessing map app using Chinese IP, the app will choose to use the Autonavi server. Here's the trick to view normal map:

1. Remove your sim car, or turn on Airplane mode
2. Turn on wifi and connect to VPN
3. quit map app and re-open, now it should load tomtom map data.

no one likes apple's map now, just use google map free from store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.