Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
As the title says can I downgrade my new iPad to iOS 5 as I want the google maps back? It's a really important feature for me that I could really do with, apple maps is diabolical and google maps on safari is pretty rubbish too.

I've ordered the iphone 5 so am stuck with iOS 6 on this, although I'm tempted to cancel the order if I can also downgrade my iphone 4 to iOS 5 too until a time that they launch a google maps app (if they do)

timtax

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Belgium
Not sure, but you can do so i think, but then you will have to google for the iOS 5 specific download for your device (IPSW file) and then from within iTunes option-click on the restore button. you should then be able to select the file you just downloaded.

Proceed at your own risk :)

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
If you have a backup from iOS 5 you should be able to, but you may have to do a fresh install and then restore the backup.

If not, you may be able to restore from iCloud, or change the version on a local iOS 6 backup and restore from that.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Not sure, but you can do so i think, but then you will have to google for the iOS 5 specific download for your device (IPSW file) and then from within iTunes option-click on the restore button. you should then be able to select the file you just downloaded.

Proceed at your own risk :)

Thanks for all the replies. When you say proceed at your own risk what do you mean by this? Could it mess up my iPad, or worse still could it be a worm or something that extracts all my passwords etc?

Is there a safe place to downlooad the IPSW file from?

----------

If you have a backup from iOS 5 you should be able to, but you may have to do a fresh install and then restore the backup.

If not, you may be able to restore from iCloud, or change the version on a local iOS 6 backup and restore from that.

Do all backups get stored somewhere on the Mac or just the last one? If I can access old back ups (and therefore iOS 5) where would I find these on my Mac and how do I get it to restore from this rather than the latest backup?

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
Thanks for all the replies. When you say proceed at your own risk what do you mean by this? Could it mess up my iPad, or worse still could it be a worm or something that extracts all my passwords etc?

Is there a safe place to downlooad the IPSW file from?

----------

Do all backups get stored somewhere on the Mac or just the last one? If I can access old back ups (and therefore iOS 5) where would I find these on my Mac and how do I get it to restore from this rather than the latest backup?

--- You should have your own back up somewhere in your iTunes folder. If you can't find it via search, I have 5.1.1 ipsw.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The moral of the story is if your device is important to you, never trust a new version. Wait until others are using it and the reports come in. Why waste your time, when others will do it for you.

Then once it's sorted out you can migrate to it trouble free.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yeah you can usually downgrade. You have to manually select what software to install.

The moral of the story is if your device is important to you, never trust a new version. Wait until others are using it and the reports come in. Why waste your time, when others will do it for you.

Then once it's sorted out you can migrate to it trouble free.

If your device is important to you? It's not as though the removal of Google maps is going to destroy your device. You're so dramatic.

Many people choose not to upgrade right away. I do that with my computers and usually with my phone but I was eager to try out a couple features that were tempting to me. I guess my device isn't important to me, by your logic.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
--- You should have your own back up somewhere in your iTunes folder. If you can't find it via search, I have 5.1.1 ipsw.

If I go into iTunes > preferences > Devices I only have one back up for each of my devices, ie my most recent back up. Mine automatically backs up every time I connect to iTunes, is there somewhere I can look for old back ups, or are these the only ones I have? If I have several back ups how do I select which one I want to back up from?

I have downloaded an iPad 3 5.1.1 IPSW, how do I know if these are safe to use and not created by a hacker who's then going to steal all my details?

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
If I go into iTunes > preferences > Devices I only have one back up for each of my devices, ie my most recent back up. Mine automatically backs up every time I connect to iTunes, is there somewhere I can look for old back ups, or are these the only ones I have? If I have several back ups how do I select which one I want to back up from?

I have downloaded an iPad 3 5.1.1 IPSW, how do I know if these are safe to use and not created by a hacker who's then going to steal all my details?

--- First, you gotta go to the same area where you see the list of back ups you have. You gotta check a box that says, prevent other iDevices from syncing to your iTunes automatically. Second, you gotta go to the actual folders and find the IPSW file 5.1.1 restore. It's the firmware you had on your phone before you upgraded to iOS 6.

kreach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I did it this morning, using the instructions here, with no problem whatsoever, with my iPhone 4 (GSM version), no jailbreak required. That link says iOS 6 beta, but the method is correct, and there are links there to download the 5.1.1 files for your particular device.

Basically I put the phone into DFU mode and restored the firmware using the downloaded version of iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw. iTunes reported it was verifying the update with Apple - which is usually the roadblock - but it proceeded without a hitch.

I'm not sure if that method wipes your phone completely, but once I had 5.1.1 back on the phone I went into Time Machine, grabbed an iPhone back-up from a week ago (in user > Library > Application Support > MobileSynch - and remember the user Library folder is hidden in Mountain Lion) and restored from that, so all my data and photos were back on the phone.

Anyway, I can confirm that you can roll back to 5.1.1 very easily. It appears Apple are still signing/verifying the 5.1.1 ipsw file.

ripper998

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
I hated apple maps in the beginning (beta) but after a month it has more value then the google maps of iOS 5. I like it has yelp reviews and other features baked in now. Give it some time to adjust. Anything new takes time to get use too.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I did it this morning, using the instructions here, with no problem whatsoever, with my iPhone 4 (GSM version), no jailbreak required. That link says iOS 6 beta, but the method is correct, and there are links there to download the 5.1.1 files for your particular device.

Basically I put the phone into DFU mode and restored the firmware using the downloaded version of iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw. iTunes reported it was verifying the update with Apple - which is usually the roadblock - but it proceeded without a hitch.

I'm not sure if that method wipes your phone completely, but once I had 5.1.1 back on the phone I went into Time Machine, grabbed an iPhone back-up from a week ago (in user > Library > Application Support > MobileSynch - and remember the user Library folder is hidden in Mountain Lion) and restored from that, so all my data and photos were back on the phone.

Anyway, I can confirm that you can roll back to 5.1.1 very easily. It appears Apple are still signing/verifying the 5.1.1 ipsw file.

This doesn't seem to work for me. iTunes recognised my iPad in recovery mode but does not give me the chance to choose my restore point. I get this screen

ScreenShot2012-09-20at133440_zps52542600.png

When I click restore I get this

ScreenShot2012-09-20at133513_zps2502740b.png

If I click restore and update it still has iOS 6 on it :confused:

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
This doesn't seem to work for me. iTunes recognised my iPad in recovery mode but does not give me the chance to choose my restore point. I get this screen

When I click restore I get this

If I click restore and update it still has iOS 6 on it :confused:
If you have option/alt-clicked, it will let you choose the 5.1.1 files - that dialogue says the newest software will be downloaded, which means you haven't option/alt-clicked (I presume your iPad in in DFU mode). As for restoring your data, this is where an older backup comes in, I think. For me this was important as I had some photos I hadn't transferred off the device, otherwise I wouldn't have minded it set up as a new, factory-fresh device.

Edit: Ignore the data restore comment I made, it sounds like you're just hitting the restore and update button anyway. So - download the right 5.1.1 ipsw file, put your device into DFU mode, then option/alt-click restore, and choose the downloaded firmware.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
If you have option/alt-clicked, it will let you choose the 5.1.1 files - that dialogue says the newest software will be downloaded, which means you haven't option/alt-clicked (I presume your iPad in in DFU mode). As for restoring your data, this is where an older backup comes in, I think. For me this was important as I had some photos I hadn't transferred off the device, otherwise I wouldn't have minded it set up as a new, factory-fresh device.

OK, I'll give this a go.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
OK, I'll give this a go.

Importantly, to get my photos back, I went into Time Machine and got an old, pre-iOS 6 backup file. If you don't use Time Machine or don't have an old 5.1.1 data backup available, you might be out of luck < this is for people like me who did the factory reset then realised they'd just lost a whole bunch of stuff. Thank goodness for Time Machine!

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Correct. My iPhone 4 seems fine, working as intended under 5.1.1, no jailbreak or anything.

Thanks. I'm just overly paranoid about downloading software from the web in case it's a hacker that's created the software so that when you start using it, doing banking etc they can steal your passwords etc :eek:

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Thanks. I'm just overly paranoid about downloading software from the web in case it's a hacker that's created the software so that when you start using it, doing banking etc they can steal your passwords etc :eek:

Fair enough. I can't make any promises, of course, but these ipsw files have been provided online by various sources for a while now.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Well that's worked, many thanks. Now to try and get over my paranoia ;)

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Fair enough. I can't make any promises, of course, but these ipsw files have been provided online by various sources for a while now.

I used this site as it's the only one I found with the iPad 3 iOS 5

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
http://maps.google.com may be a better solution until Google (hopefully) comes out with their own map client.

It is actually a bit more feature rich than the old iPad version of the native application. Though, some features have their limits in a browser too.

::EDIT::

Yikes I saw an old version of this thread minus some replies. You are golden and running iOS5 now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.